and Drunks

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

I (Heart) Insane Seahawks Fans

Posted by on Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 1:03 PM

I'm not a fan of the Seahawks, the football team, as much as I'm fan of Seahawks fans. And Seahawks chutzpah. I love Richard Sherman speaking with his middle finger. I love that a he's enraging an embittered Senate Republican. I'm a total convert. This crazy cultural explosion should be backed a zillion percent, and I couldn't give a fuck whether we win or lose the Super Bowl—as long as we continue to lose our extroverted minds doing it.

Seattle is suddenly loud, proud, brash, willing to brag about what we're good at, and relishing the destruction of our rivals as painfully, shamelessly, and publicly as possible. That's the opposite of the sensitive, insular, reticent, feckless, and timid culture of Seattle itself. Our weirdly passive gestalt permeates the central neighborhoods and standoffish social gatherings—to say nothing of our moribund, unadventurous city hall and its tender egos. But pro-sports Seahawks culture is pretty suburban. That balls-out suburban culture is permeating our pussyfooted city, and it's great. So praise the insane Seahwaks fans for their adrenaline. The surge of Seahawks fandom is the antidote to everything that sucks about our shitty fishing village.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 1
There's going to be a riot. If the Seahawks win, fans will riot. Conversely, if the Seahawks lose, then the fans will riot.

Cars will be burnt. People will get beaten. Maybe somebody will even die.

After the riot, we will act shocked that there was a riot. Especially since we won! Or, conversely, especially since we lost! Seattle will be unwilling to believe that this is who we really are.

Sometime later, somebody will calculate the economic benefit of going to the Super Bowl and we'll act shocked to learn we lost money on the deal. Not even counting the riot damage.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on January 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 2
In NJ?
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 22, 2014 at 1:18 PM · Report this
raku 3
Stay indoors. It's probably the most dangerous day to be outside at night for women, queers, immigrants, and others. I've never been as frightened walking down Pike as I was last weekend after whatever football game.
Posted by raku on January 22, 2014 at 1:21 PM · Report this
John McCain is a mediocre Senator. Mediocre. And when you try the best corner in the game with a mediocre Senator, that's what happens.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on January 22, 2014 at 1:22 PM · Report this
@1 So its like when Vancouver Looses the Stanley Cup?
Posted by lone locust on January 22, 2014 at 1:23 PM · Report this
@Dom, those Seahawks fans are also from seattle. Sounders crowds get crazy too. You just never hung out with us before.
ALSO you get a big Richard Sherman middle finger for calling Seattle a "shitty fishing village"! Why would you talk shit about our hometown?!? I dont think you get this whole thing at all! The "Seattle" you seem to think is inferior is just YOU. So STOP IT!
@1 thanks for the predictions. Im sure they will all come true. Can I contact you for money advice?
Posted by JonCracolici on January 22, 2014 at 1:23 PM · Report this
rob! 7
That link has an extra character at the end, which somehow makes it redirect here.

(Correct link.)
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on January 22, 2014 at 1:27 PM · Report this
You're young, you'll grow out of it. Meanwhile, in what hole have you been hiding? There are a legion of Seattle shouters and braggarts preceeding Sherman; you're just badly uninformed about that and real Seattle - read through the daily police reports if you think this is a timid culture (although the one you live in just may be). But your amateur standing as a junior high journalist remains intact. A shitty fishing village, or just a shitty writer fishing for attention?
Posted by menace2society on January 22, 2014 at 1:29 PM · Report this
"willing to brag about what we're good at"? Oh, my, are "we" good at football now? Christ.
Posted by beef rallard on January 22, 2014 at 1:32 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 10
Thanks for the post, Dom. And thank you 1 for that fine example of 'reticent, timid culture of Seattle.' We wouldn't want people celebrating in the streets, now, would we? They might do bad things, like walk in the middle of the streets, cheering.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on January 22, 2014 at 1:34 PM · Report this
Call me Scott 11
I thought this was a good post.
Posted by Call me Scott on January 22, 2014 at 1:34 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 12
@6

I know some who have found the path to wealth and security also happened to be in the habit turning off the internet and doing work while they were at work. Coincidence? Perhaps.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on January 22, 2014 at 1:41 PM · Report this
What fucking planet is this? After years of heaping scorn on pro sports (except the gender-normative white-male-heterosexual privilege having Goldy), suddenly The stranger is showing some love? I Really don't know what has gotten into you guys. I thought I was the only progressive/liberal in town who also likes sports.
Posted by ohthetrees on January 22, 2014 at 1:42 PM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 14
Congratulations Dom (and The Stranger), you saw a large gathering of typical football fans.

See how much fun we have over this silly little game?

@3: Despite how many women, immigrants and queers were part of the loud groups of people you were afraid of? I hate to break it to you, but everyone likes football, not just the Platonic frat bro who lives in your head, and who you are afraid of.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on January 22, 2014 at 1:44 PM · Report this
@12
Good advice! glad its my day off.
Posted by JonCracolici on January 22, 2014 at 1:44 PM · Report this
@1, but we still haven't finished rebuilding from all those super bowl riots after the 2005 season.
Posted by GermanSausage on January 22, 2014 at 1:54 PM · Report this
Christ, I'm so glad I outgrew the disdain and generalized "otherism" I had as a teenage theater kid about sports and sports fans. It's sad to read comments from adults that never got over it.

Sports are fun because competition is exciting and community pride and celebration is the fucking best. Distrusting the whole because of a few ignorant assholes is sad. Hope your grinchy hearts grow three sizes on February 2nd.

Oh, and great post, Dom.
Posted by grkle on January 22, 2014 at 1:55 PM · Report this
COMTE 18
Yeah, this is such a NEW thing, I guess, if you just forget the celebrations after the '79 Sonics NBA Championship win, or even the '94 & '00 Mariners AL Division Series victories, or the innumerable Husky Rose Bowl wins, or the 2004 & 2010 Seattle Storm WNBA Championship wins, or the Sounders 2009, 2010 & 2011 U.S. Open Cup wins.

Yep, totally a new, never-before-seen thing in this here "shitty little fishing village"...
Posted by COMTE on January 22, 2014 at 1:59 PM · Report this
seatackled 19
Fuck John McCain, man. This is the one time I want to know what sounds come out of Sarah Palin's cephalic rectum.
Posted by seatackled on January 22, 2014 at 2:04 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 20
.. wait.. somebody said 'rioting' ?.. in SEATTLE ?
* guffaws*
....*chortles*..
*GUFFAWS *
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on January 22, 2014 at 2:05 PM · Report this
Dougsf 21
@1 - NFL fans tend to be more working class when compared to other major American sports, especially college sports. There could fights sure, but car-flipping and bus torching in recent history has been the domain of the those with either privilege, or nothing at all to lose. Nothing's impossible, but it certainly isn't a given. If you can think of a recent example where I'm wrong; remember, Seattle isn't Baltimore.

I like the attention this forgotten element of my hometown is getting, where even the legacies of talented dead junkies has been eclipsed by Starbucks, software, and top-10 places to live lists.
Posted by Dougsf on January 22, 2014 at 2:06 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 22
@15

When did this become about you? Please.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on January 22, 2014 at 2:20 PM · Report this
JF 23
@3 Well. Don't know what to tell ya. It's the city. Move to the burbs if you find crowds scary.
Posted by JF on January 22, 2014 at 2:28 PM · Report this
schmacky 24
Good post. My thoughts exactly. This town could use some goddamn swagger.
Posted by schmacky on January 22, 2014 at 2:36 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 25
@3: i always picture your reaction when i see the "whatever it takes" bud lite commercials featuring a dude cooking quinoa burgers at a tailgate.

humans are apes. apes like to jump up and down and yell. nothing bad happened to you, so deal.
Posted by Max Solomon on January 22, 2014 at 2:39 PM · Report this
Cornichon 26
Astonishing how defensive Slog readers get when Dom refers to SeaTown as a shitty little fishing village. Have you never heard of hyperbole? Exaggeration? Self-deprecation? In your hurry to defend Richard Sherman's rhetorical extravagance, how about a chuckle for Dominic? [Note to self: pitch magazine article, "A Finger for Sherman, A Chuckle for Dominic," to Crosscut.)
Posted by Cornichon http://cornichon.org on January 22, 2014 at 2:46 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 27
@1 Yes, who can forget the deadly riots that ensued after the Seahawks lost the Super Bowl in 2006?
Posted by Gern Blanston on January 22, 2014 at 2:48 PM · Report this
Sean Kinney 28
Seattle bears little resemblance to a fishing village. Want to see a "shitty little fishing village"? Visit Sand Point, Alaska.
Posted by Sean Kinney http:// on January 22, 2014 at 3:07 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 29
@ 18, of the stuff you list, I think only the Sonics championship or Rose Bowl victories compare to a potential Seahawks championship. Despite the Sounders popularity, I've seen nothing to indicate that they have as much as 10% of the fanbase of a Big Four sports team like the M's and hawks. And divisional playoff victories have never prompted any kind of major celebration.

Also, the riot celebration is a relatively recent development, one that spreads because every troublemaker in the region knows that others will have the same idea. And although it's been a decade or so, the WTO and Mardi Gras riots basically showed everyone that SPD weren't prepared to handle them. I hope they learned their lesson in the interim.
Posted by Matt from Denver on January 22, 2014 at 3:34 PM · Report this
raku 30

Everyone seems to turn into the platonic frat bro when they're so invested in being a part of a sport that is only OK with one type of person. Non-whites, women, even the queers at the Wildrose (although not nearly as bad).

Move to the burbs if you find crowds scary.

I don't find crowds scary. I'm not scared at protests with tear gas on pine, or a crowded show. What I am scared of is unpredictable drunk dudes twice my size who are full of hate for the other, and enjoy yelling and bashing things. There's random violence after every big sport whatever.
Posted by raku on January 22, 2014 at 3:48 PM · Report this
Hernandez 31
@1 others beat me to it, but yeah, didn't happen when we lost in 2006 and it won't happen this time. The only truly bad thing that is likely to happen is more drunk drivers on the roads than usual (so consider not driving, be safe if you have to, and please please please don't drive drunk).

@3 I guess you could join the women and queers at my Super Bowl party if you're worried about being out on the streets. I don't think any immigrants have RSVP'd yet, though.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on January 22, 2014 at 3:54 PM · Report this
JF 32
@30 There's also random violence on 23rd and Union. Doesn't mean I get scared when I walk through the area.
Posted by JF on January 22, 2014 at 4:06 PM · Report this
There's not going to be a riot. We're not San Francisco or Chicago or anyplace else. Seattle doesn't riot over sports, so stop creating problems where there are already enough of them! Win or lose, we already got this. And they will remember our name. (stole that from my son) Obviously, it will be a lot more fun if we win because (1) Pete will be vindicated, (2) the team will be happy, (3) the fans will be happy and proud, and best of all (4) Ted Nugent and his racist sychophants will be most unhappy.
Posted by mandyv on January 22, 2014 at 4:24 PM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 34
@30: Not that you ever make much sense, but this one is particularly silly.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on January 22, 2014 at 4:41 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 35
@ 34, since her assertion that sports should be banned because they're obviously bad and worthless for society went over like a lead balloon, I think raku has realized that she needs reasons. And like many things, if there are no real reasons (other than she just doesn't like sports - some internalized trauma from high school jocks, perhaps?), she makes up some high-sounding ones, such as the one where sports crowds are entirely made up of violent teabaggers and everyone better look out because they're starting a race/rape/gay bashing riot.
Posted by Matt from Denver on January 22, 2014 at 5:19 PM · Report this
JF 36
@35 Seems legit! I, for one, can't wait get my gay bash on in NYC.
Posted by JF on January 22, 2014 at 6:23 PM · Report this
@35, "internalized trauma from high school jocks"

I tend to believe it's the combination of being lonely and unpopular in high school, seeing the jock bullies in the movies, and the terminal inability to grow up.
Posted by GermanSausage on January 22, 2014 at 6:49 PM · Report this
fixo 38
My favorite part of your post, Dom, is "the balls-out suburban culture." Are you thinking Lynnwood? Gig Harbor? Redmond?
Posted by fixo on January 22, 2014 at 7:14 PM · Report this
@26 - That's cute, Daddy coming to his boy's defense. If your son is going to troll the Internet, then let him fight his own battles.

(For those that don't know: "Cornichon" is Dominic's actual dad. Seriously).
Posted by Small Dill Pickle on January 22, 2014 at 8:38 PM · Report this
Canadian Nurse 40
@38: Mercer Island. Definitely.
Posted by Canadian Nurse on January 22, 2014 at 9:14 PM · Report this
emor 41
@30
Why do you get to tell people what things they are allowed to like? Your privilege is showing.

Personal story: growing up, my mom was the screaming, jumping football fanatic. My father and, white males both, retired to other rooms to read books.
Posted by emor on January 22, 2014 at 9:18 PM · Report this
Dominic Holden 42
@39) Where do you think I learned to troll the internet? PS -- He got ya.
Posted by Dominic Holden on January 22, 2014 at 9:53 PM · Report this
Woohoo, Dom! Damn straight. Lets enjoy the hell out of these two weeks! Go SEAHAWKS!!
Posted by DawginExile on January 22, 2014 at 10:05 PM · Report this
McBomber 44
Love this post. I'm a Niners fan, but after last Sunday's tragic loss, I can't help but enjoy the palpable excitement in my friends, coworkers and adopted city as they look forward to the Super Bowl. Plus, though I have no rational explanation, I've always hated that dolphin-faced Manning.
(Even as a Niners fan, I had kind of always admired the Seahawks, so was surprised by all the "fuck you"s and "Niners suck!"s that began just this last season. Hopefully once the Hawks win, their fans will learn to root FOR their team instead of AGAINST the other. That said, I hope they crush bitch-baby Peyton)
Posted by McBomber on January 22, 2014 at 10:19 PM · Report this
I'm with Dominic. This is awesome! We are good at dumping money into somebody's giant entertainment business and great at convincing ourselves there's something to be hometown-proud about the people that business hired to toss their balls around in a facility we were forced to fund. SeeHAWKS!
Posted by Phil M http://https://twitter.com/pmocek on January 22, 2014 at 10:46 PM · Report this
raku 46
#41: I'm not trying to tell people what to like, sorry if I came off that way. I was saying the atmosphere around these big sports events is threatening and dangerous for people not involved in them. Most of the football fans I know are white women, but it's very clear even being around sports as minimally as possible that the culture is dominated by loud white men who are hostile if you don't care their sports.
Posted by raku on January 22, 2014 at 10:51 PM · Report this
Damn, now I want my dad to join this thread and talk some smack.
Posted by beef rallard on January 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 48
@46: Do you have anything to back up your claims that the "atmosphere around these big sports events is threatening and dangerous," or is it just your feels we are going off of here?
Posted by Theodore Gorath on January 23, 2014 at 10:46 AM · Report this
@48: I work in a building next to the football stadium parking lot. The only time I remember feeling threatened on the streets of Seattle by someone other than a police officer, federal agent, or federal building rentacop, was a time last year when I was walking north on 1st avenue after work to the bus stop. Drunken sportsball fans filled the sidewalk in front of New Orleans Café. When I stopped, blocked by them, and politely said, "excuse me, please," some meathead in a football jersey stepped up to me very aggressively before a few people near him pulled him away.

I'm male, able-bodied, and able to move quickly. I suspect the situation would feel threatening and dangerous to plenty of other people.
Posted by Phil M http://https://twitter.com/pmocek on January 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM · Report this
@46 I'm queer, female, and an immigrant, and I actually left my partner's downtown apartment to watch people celebrating in the streets. People of every gender, race, orientation and nationality, were out on 1st Ave having a goddamn blast.

The reason you feel safe in a protest is that you make yourself part of that group. The reason you feel unsafe with sports fans is because you perceive them as other. Protestors are just as likely to get violent as football fans. And do, just as often. Some people are assholes, period. It has nothing to do with their interests, gender, race, or country of origin.

The world is a pretty shitty place, and it gets a lot shittier when people spread fear.
Posted by no catchy name on January 23, 2014 at 8:19 PM · Report this
basmatic 51
@30

I'm a queer female and walked all the way up Pike st with the crowds on Sunday. It was fun, not scary. Those big drunk guys mostly wanted to exchange high-fives and cry "Go Hawks!" You are stereotyping them to fit your biases.
Posted by basmatic on January 23, 2014 at 8:34 PM · Report this
wilbur@work 52
That McCrusty open his fat craw and decided to wink/nudge the base into robotic, blind support for anyone named Manning is reason enough to pull for the Hawks and Sherm from now on.

This is from a dyed-in-the-wool Packer fan and shareholder (and 20 yr SEA resident now jumping on the bandwagon).
Posted by wilbur@work on January 24, 2014 at 12:57 PM · Report this
Dumb sport. Dumb team. Dumb bandwagon sheep fans.
Posted by Rob2345 on January 24, 2014 at 1:24 PM · Report this
@39 and daddy ain't doing the little shit any favors, just sayin'
Posted by geronimo on April 27, 2014 at 10:00 AM · Report this