Monday, January 20, 2014

MLK Day in Pictures

Posted by on Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 4:34 PM

How are you not going to do what this kid wants you to do?
  • ALL IMAGES BY DANIELLE HENDERSON AND JEN GRAVES
  • How are you not going to do what this kid wants you to do?

SERIOUSLY.
  • SERIOUSLY.

Things started with workshops at Garfield High in the early morning.
  • Things started with workshops at Garfield High in the early morning.

At the restorative justice workshop.
  • At the restorative justice workshop.

• Rally in the Garfield auditorium. It included a chant about South Africa. We might have preferred a more locally relevant chant.

Yasmeen Johnson, ready to march.
  • Yasmeen Johnson, ready to march.

The youts.
  • The youts.

Sophisticated lady.
  • Sophisticated lady.

15now.org.
  • 15now.org.

Seattles Socialist City Council member Kshama Sawant in an epic moment.
  • Seattle's Socialist City Council member Kshama Sawant in an epic moment.

Seattles Socialist City Council member Kshama Sawant in a quieter moment. Yes, Sawant is a passionate fighter. But she is also thoughtful, and we dont always want to picture her with a bullhorn.
  • Seattle's Socialist City Council member Kshama Sawant in a quieter moment. Yes, Sawant is a passionate fighter. But she is also thoughtful, and we don't always want to picture her with a bullhorn.

Please say it wont have been just tilting at skyscrapers.
  • Please say it won't have been just tilting at skyscrapers.

You wont put us on the back pages, will you?
  • "You won't put us on the back pages, will you?"

The sun supports.
  • The sun supports.

Boy has a dream about buddies.
  • Boy has a dream about buddies.

long-time reader 2
Ugh, do I need to show you some photos of Westboro Baptist preteen sign-wavers to show you how ridiculous you sound?
Posted by long-time reader on January 20, 2014 at 9:33 PM · Report this
Knat 3
While I appreciate the subtle My Cousin Vinny reference, I have to agree with the previous comment: people should leave their kids at home. They're too young to know why they're there, and even if I agree with the march (and in this case I do), I am immediately less inclined to support the cause of anyone that would rope their unwitting kids into it.
Posted by Knat on January 20, 2014 at 10:06 PM · Report this
Wow, two pictures of Sawant, but no pictures of any other council people...At least Council member Sawant posted pictures on twitter of her fellow council members as the rally...Come on Stranger
Posted by j2patter on January 20, 2014 at 10:20 PM · Report this
Posted by j2patter on January 20, 2014 at 10:23 PM · Report this
seatackled 6
@4

Did you go to Sawant's Twitter account and praise her for being collegial and acknowledging the credit that she's giving to her colleagues? If not, go ahead right now--there's not a moment to lose!
Posted by seatackled on January 20, 2014 at 11:07 PM · Report this
@6, nope, don't do twitter, but I'm giving her credit for it here. She deserves credit for it! It's worth pointing out that there's other CM other then Sawant that support the 15 buck min wage, and it's great to see CM Sawant give them credit, even if the Stranger can't. Seriously this isn't an attack on CM Sawant, it's announcing at how the Stranger rant against the Time's coverage of events and yet has their own narrative they follow.
Posted by j2patter on January 20, 2014 at 11:14 PM · Report this
Bah, I meant annoyance...
Posted by j2patter on January 20, 2014 at 11:20 PM · Report this
seatackled 9
@7

Okay, that's cool. I respect that.
Posted by seatackled on January 20, 2014 at 11:31 PM · Report this
seatackled 10
@7

I suppose a counter argument could be that favorable coverage--which I don't think can be taken for granted (remember the Stranger's criticism of McGinn for picking Diaz)--of Sawant balances out the generally anti-Sawant coverage that other news sources in the region provide.
Posted by seatackled on January 20, 2014 at 11:34 PM · Report this
pdonahue 11
@1,2,3 is just a parade you nitwits. have you ever gone? there's music, costumes, giant puppets, stops for hot chocolate, cheering and booing, ya know, life, fun, ever heard of it? Did you think MLK day was all grownup serious talk about social justice? jeeze never invite me to your parade, I'd fall asleep.
Posted by pdonahue on January 21, 2014 at 7:08 AM · Report this
Knat 12
@11: I don't see any of that represented in the photos here. I didn't go, but none of that made it into the photos shown here (except maybe the cheering/booing, I guess). If that was the case, great, but it was still a political event at its heart, and I stand by my statement.
Posted by Knat on January 25, 2014 at 12:04 PM · Report this