and Drunks

Monday, January 20, 2014

Bragging Is the Best Part of Sports

Posted by on Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Here's the post-game interview with Seahawk Richard Sherman that set off certain parts of the internet last night:

After the jump, you can find a (completely offensive) screenshot of the @yesyoureracist Twitter feed from last night. The person or people behind Yes You're Racist generally concern themselves with reposting people who tweet racist things after prefacing their comment with "I'm not racist, but..." but sometimes, when an event makes the news, they just retweet all the racist tweets they can find. It's a difficult feed to follow, but it serves as a heartbreaking reminder that racists are out there, and they're proud of their ignorance. If you feel up to it, you can see proof of that ignorance after the jump.

So all this is a long way around to telling you that a lot of people are mad at Richard Sherman for bragging loudly on national television. More accurately, most of these people are mad at Richard Sherman for being black and bragging loudly on national television. Bragging in sports is a tradition. In fact, bragging in sports is pretty much the only sports tradition that I care about, because it's fun, and because it's honest. When you're young, and when the whole world's watching your victory, you've got to feel as though you're the greatest human being in the history of the world. Anyone who chooses to relay those feelings creatively earns more of my respect than, say, someone like a Tim Tebow who ostentatiously cloaks his bragging in religious faux-humility. Here's another athlete who engaged in a little bit of post-game braggadocio:

(He also, famously, engaged in some pre-game braggadocio, too.) I know virtually nothing about Richard Sherman besides the fact that he's a Seahawk, and he's good at his job, and that last night, he ranted at a reporter who seemed unequipped to handle that situation. I think Sherman's Beats by Dre commercial does a pretty good job of disarming a lot of these complaints—of explaining that the shit-talk is part of the game, to motivate his team and to upset his opponents. (It does a great job, too, of addressing the casual racism Sherman faces. That look on his face when he gets the question about being a "thug" conveys everything you need to know about his feelings on the question.) If Sherman was a white man, he'd at worst be called an arrogant dick. But because he's a black man, he's letting our children down, he's disrespectful, he's hurting football and sportsmanship. Sherman's response to all this, by the way, is absolutely perfect, proving that it's possible to be a braggart on the field and a classy human being at the exact same time:

Yup.

UPDATE 1:09 PM: You really should read Sherman's own account of what happened, over at Sports Illustrated. (Thanks, Davida, for the tip.)

Screen_shot_2014-01-20_at_11.07.12_AM.png

Yeah if you're going to gloat, the time to do it is after a game winning interception. I don't know what Crabtree said to him, but I hope he regrets it.
Posted by GermanSausage on January 20, 2014 at 12:42 PM · Report this
stinkbug 2
"a reporter who seemed unequipped to handle that situation"

Erin Andrews can handle that situation although, yes, she was caught a little off guard (just like most people). She seemed interested in continuing the interview but clearly the producer/director had her end it early.
Posted by stinkbug on January 20, 2014 at 12:48 PM · Report this
People were upset that he was bragging? He was abusive and threatening. "Don't you talk about me or I'm gonna shut your mouth right quick." If it was Lindsay Lohan who said this people would be demanding she be arrested.
Posted by hayden c on January 20, 2014 at 12:57 PM · Report this
@3- you mad, bro?
Posted by Pol Pot on January 20, 2014 at 12:59 PM · Report this
venomlash 5
He was classless the way he talked after the game, but a white player would not be facing the same kind of hate after saying those things.
Posted by venomlash on January 20, 2014 at 1:08 PM · Report this
Catherwood 6
@4 - no, he's just threatened by big strong educated articulate black people. And seriously, Lindsay Lohan? If it'd been her, the producer would have been screaming to keep rolling, keep rolling! I think the comparison to Ali is apt (and maybe Charles Barkley?): America's not at all comfortable with a black man who tells the truth.
Posted by Catherwood on January 20, 2014 at 1:12 PM · Report this
@3, nah, if a white woman had told somebody to shut up, you wouldn't have felt somehow threatened and scared by that.
Posted by GermanSausage on January 20, 2014 at 1:14 PM · Report this
Catherwood 8
@5 the more I hear the word "classless" the less I understand what people mean by it. It seems to mean fundamentally different things depending on, yes, the color of the person being so categorized. The things RS said "after the game" were in fact said about 30 seconds after the game-winning play in front of tens of millions of TV viewers and 60,000 screaming live fans and you think he should have considered his words more carefully? He's not running for office: I expect him to be passionate, amped up, and in the moment.

So, you tell me - what would have been the "classy" thing to say?
Posted by Catherwood on January 20, 2014 at 1:15 PM · Report this
I've given up on trying to defend the Seahawks to haters... for anyone keeping score, somehow Seahawks fans are both fair weather and obnoxiously overzealous, the entire fanbase is responsible because one little butthole (possibly) throwing popcorn at NaVarro Bowman, and clearly the entire team is comprised of assholes because Richard Sherman is cocky as all hell.

(In this entire villainous narrative however, nowhere do the haters ever mention Russell Wilson- who is practically a goddamn saint with a squeaky clean reputation who visits Seattle Children's Hospital on his off-hours. Funny how that slips through the cracks.)
Posted by UNPAID COMMENTER on January 20, 2014 at 1:18 PM · Report this
It's easier to brag about being the king of the world when you're the only guy on your "team" in the ring fighting and you win. Sherman's tip would have been a lot less brag-worthy if he didn't have sure-handed Malcolm Smith actually wind up securing the ball.

Calling another player out is something he should keep doing on Twitter and not in center stage as his sideline interview with Andrews. The sad thing is, it's the NFL and even great playmakers like Sherman are all one agonizing-to-see-replayed-over-and-over knee injury away from being out for a season or forever.
Posted by ChefJoe on January 20, 2014 at 1:19 PM · Report this
tainte 11
oh please. yes, there are racists asshole out there, but that doesn't change the fact that sherman is a grade-a douchenozzle.

if i ever coached an nfl team they would be classy. no celebrating. no emotion whatsoever. they would hit you and then just walk away. and it would be TERRIFYING.
Posted by tainte on January 20, 2014 at 1:26 PM · Report this
He's an entertainer, building his brand. He might be one of the the first well-known athletes to have grown up in and to have a good understanding of the impression-managed clickthrough attention economy. The more eyes on him, the more valuable his brand. I enjoy the football, but we're supposed to pretend that "pro athlete" is some noble calling, when it's just a job selling beer, trucks, shirts, and boner pills. Maybe he's decided not to pretend otherwise and go ahead and get what he can out of the deal. I was entertained.
Posted by pox on January 20, 2014 at 1:29 PM · Report this
meanie 13
I am not even a football fan, but I thought this was great. He channeled the energy of the WWF/WWE from the late 90s. Just picture the rock saying it and it gets even funnier.

Any talk of "class" is diminished when talking about a "sport" thats defining factor is the biggest dudes possible slamming their heads into each other for their golden years, only to be abandoned to mental illness and no healthcare by the NFL when they stop playing.

The documentary on it is amazing http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/…
Posted by meanie http://www.spicealley.net on January 20, 2014 at 1:31 PM · Report this
mkyorai 14
@11 Bill Belichick tried that. Aside from winding up with a sociopathic murderer at tight end, it worked out pretty well for him. But plenty of people still hate the Pats.
Posted by mkyorai on January 20, 2014 at 1:37 PM · Report this
But, considering Sherman is still under his rookie contract getting under $500,000 per year, he's out to make himself indispensable (especially considering Wilson is also under his rookie contract). They're going to be renegotiating for more money than The Stranger operations cost each year.
Posted by ChefJoe on January 20, 2014 at 1:39 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 16
i don't think many of us have ever had that much adrenaline and testosterone flowing in out bloodstreams at once - who can fathom how amped that feels?

note that RS didn't curse, and he remembered to end by plugging his brand: LOB, Legion of Boom. and he won the game - crabtree would have caught that pass with 22 seconds left.

i think he's got a long career in broadcasting waiting immediately following the NFL.
Posted by Max Solomon on January 20, 2014 at 1:41 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 17
i prefer to talk about the athleticism in a football game compared to interviews, commercials, or fan costumes
Posted by dnt trust me on January 20, 2014 at 1:44 PM · Report this
I loved his post-game press conference, where (in calm, perfectly measured tones) he stressed that he just REALLY wanted to convey how deeply he feels that Crabtree is a mediocre receiver.

And guess what? They went head to head, and this time, at least, Sherman won. So the evidence is on his side.
Posted by Pope Buck I on January 20, 2014 at 1:50 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 19
Let's see how much he has to brag about it two weeks.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on January 20, 2014 at 1:53 PM · Report this
The guy doesn't like Crabtree, perhaps due to something that happened in the offseason, but he showed class with his comments about Bowman. He asked about him after the game, and when told it was an ACL tear:
'Told that Bowman had suffered a torn ACL, Sherman shook his head repeatedly and groaned, "Aaaaaaaaaah nooooooo. No, man, no, no. Damn! He's such a great player. He's come into his own, and I hope he recovers and comes all the way back. He has to."'

That's from Michael Silver's NFL.com column.

I don't like the guy a ton, but I admire him. Now go beat the Broncos that beat my Pats =(
Posted by Hanoumatoi on January 20, 2014 at 2:09 PM · Report this
DOUG. 21
I loved Gary Payton and I love Richard Sherman. If they didn't play for MY team, I might feel differently, but only because they're both so damn good.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on January 20, 2014 at 2:19 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 22
Bragging isn't the best part of the game.

Insulting your opponents is classless.

I wasn't impressed.

I like Marshawn Lynch's media strategy a lot more than Richard Sherman's.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on January 20, 2014 at 2:30 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 23
Paul, you should look into the history of Richard Sherman, especially in relation to Jim Harbaugh, the Niners coach. He's a really fascinating guy. Graduated from Stanford w/ a degree in Communications. Whatever you want to call him, the man is smart.

Remember: as always, there is context. The opinions of those taking the interview at face value can be dismissed: they understand nothing.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on January 20, 2014 at 2:38 PM · Report this
Mattini 24
I never watch football, but I caught the last five minutes of the broadcast - including his game-winning block, another player pushing him away after Sherman slapped his butt, and this interview. So awesome. Is football always this good or did I catch a good five minutes?
Posted by Mattini on January 20, 2014 at 2:38 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 25
Also, this is the best take on the incident so far:
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on January 20, 2014 at 2:39 PM · Report this
Love Richard Sherman but comparing to Ali - check out the background story that created that memorable video. Go Hawks!

Posted by tjh on January 20, 2014 at 2:40 PM · Report this
To all offended commenters: HAHAHAHAHA
Posted by peskypoop on January 20, 2014 at 2:41 PM · Report this
@22@8
I dont get this "classless" thing at all. He didn't curse on TV, he just called his opponent "mediocere", which is hardly the worst thing you can say about someone. Maybe its that I actually play sports all the time, and get $hit talked all the time. Sports fields are not where guys take their inner-gentleman for a walk, its where they let out their most competitive side.
I also feel that there is definately a double standard that gets applied. For example, Clint Dempsey is loved by american soccer fans, and they bring giant cut outs of the "Deuce-face" to games. There are "Deuce-face" t-shirts. The "Deuce-face" is an image of him openly mocking his opponent in a soccer game in a very demeaning way. No once called him classless, people loved it. I loved it, and I love Richard Sherman, and I don't care when athletes talk $hit. Let the dog off leash.
Posted by JonCracolici on January 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM · Report this
Karlheinz Arschbomber 29
Nuremberg-worthy military display around 50-yard-long flag=GOOD!

Endless gesticulation towards ${DEITY}=RIGHTEOUS!

Boasting about beating a hated personal enemy on the field seconds after the play of your life, and an in-your-face shove/diss, to a sleazy blow-dryer queen?=UPPITY, TASTELESS!
Posted by Karlheinz Arschbomber http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arschbombe on January 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM · Report this
LOVE HIM

Also, "classless" does not mean the same thing as "unclassy" - please stop it.
Posted by jnpnthr on January 20, 2014 at 3:11 PM · Report this
MrBaker 31
It's not just bragging, it's a fact, "Sherman is, statistically, the best cover corner in football"

49'ers Richard Crabtree said a couple things before the game, and with the game on the line, the better player emerged, as is usually the case.
The ball don't lie.

The rest, the media reaction, that's self revealing.
Posted by MrBaker http://manywordsforrain.blogspot.com/ on January 20, 2014 at 3:27 PM · Report this
MrBaker 32
@22, it was a retort from something Richard Crabtree said earlier in the week.
Posted by MrBaker http://manywordsforrain.blogspot.com/ on January 20, 2014 at 3:29 PM · Report this
kk in seattle 33
Giving Kaepernick the choke sign. Heh.
Posted by kk in seattle on January 20, 2014 at 3:40 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 34
@28, 32, etc...- Mocking your opponent is classless. If someone else started it, then the better man lets it go. In sports or anywhere else. I wouldn't give a rat's ass if Sherman had sworn, swear words are just words to adults. It's the sentiment that matters.

I was a competitive athlete for a few years in Judo. If I'd won a tournament and started shouting trash talk my opponents they'd have stripped me of my trophy. It's not "part of sports" it is "part of an abusive and stupid American culture."

It's really too bad we're all talking about Sherman, who made one big play, rather than Lynch or Wilson who made a dozen or so and managed not be be assholes about it.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on January 20, 2014 at 3:41 PM · Report this
He could have just said "That was fun!" and probably pissed off Crabtree even better.

I saw the clip in real time and it was "whoa. this guy is scary."
Posted by Fluffy on January 20, 2014 at 4:00 PM · Report this
Thug is a word that white people use when they realize the word they want to use would get them in trouble.
Posted by Peter Moore on January 20, 2014 at 4:01 PM · Report this

Id have to strenuously disagree with your assertion that "trash talk" is not part of sports culture, and is instead a part of American culture. I play soccer, and hear a lot of it personally, give a lot of it personally. A majority of the people I play with aren't American. There are countless examples of it all over the world in every league. Zidane comes to mind...
Kudos to you for winning your Judo competition! But the athlete "code of conduct" that is peer pressured at more "eastern" fighting gyms and events is very very different than the code in place on the fields of the world.
@36 You are so right.
Posted by JonCracolici on January 20, 2014 at 5:08 PM · Report this
^@34
Posted by JonCracolici on January 20, 2014 at 5:09 PM · Report this
@34 Judo is pretty unique in that. Different sport also vary widely. Generally the grappling sports don't trash talk and attract far more circumspect individuals.

I did Karate, Boxing, Thai Boxing, for years.

I noted how in Thai boxing it was very frowned on to "celebrate" in your corner (in Karate it was unheard of).

But the same Kickboxing gyms who had boxing teams would do it at boxing events the very next weekend.

While certain cultural traditions vary greatly in various sports, trash talking is in no way an exclusively an American affectation. The Japanese FI just trash talk differently. But trust me they do.

Posted by tkc on January 20, 2014 at 5:38 PM · Report this
care bear 40
I don't think anybody calling Sherman classless has ever been a competitive athlete. He had just won the damn game. You know what that feels like? Of course he wasn't going to say anything calm or boring.
Posted by care bear on January 20, 2014 at 5:46 PM · Report this
@40
Exactly. I give and take $hit talk all the time on the field, and there has been exactly one time I won the game for my team right at the end of the game. I was so amped off that, and that was without the 68k people screaming for me. I cant even imagine that feeling. At least he got out something in english and not just screaming, Im not sure I could pull that off.
Posted by JonCracolici on January 20, 2014 at 6:03 PM · Report this
Way back in the day, I scored a tying goal in the championships of my youth hockey league. I don't think I've been as pumped up since.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on January 20, 2014 at 7:10 PM · Report this
@42: I lied. I was that thrilled when my guild got Realm First! Grand Crusader.

Esports are sports too!
Posted by Hanoumatoi on January 20, 2014 at 7:14 PM · Report this
"More accurately, most of these people are mad at Richard Sherman for being black and bragging loudly on national television."

That's a load of shit Paul. It had nothing to do with him bragging or being black, it had everything to do with shit talking a player he just beat. Shit talking your opponent in victory is classless and it doesn't matter if your black, white, pop warner, or pro. It's classless.

"If Sherman was a white man"

If you can find some sort of video evidence about a white guy, in a game as big as this, shit talking his opponent in victory and getting away with nothing more than being called an arrogant dick it would help make your case but you'd be hard pressed to find it b/c this sort of thing rarely happens at this level.

"he ranted at a reporter who seemed unequipped to handle that situation"

That's more sexist than the claims about Sherman are racist. Erin Andrews is a very skilled sports reporter and she might have seemed unequipped to handle that situation b/c that situation RARELY comes up. I've seen tons of high profile, hard hitting games where adrenaline is flowing, and I've personally never seen someone do that. Guys will talk about how great they are, they'll be arrogant but they never talk about how shitty the opponent was in victory b/c it's straight up classless.
Posted by bassplayerguy on January 20, 2014 at 8:04 PM · Report this
"He had just won the damn game. You know what that feels like?"

Yep (although it's been awhile) and I never felt the need to trash talk an opponent AFTER I won. Have you noticed that most other professional athletes are able to not trash talk their opponents in victory? They're just as amped, just as pumped, have just as much adrenaline pumping, had just as much trash talking before and during the game, and yet, remarkably, are able to not do that. You know why? They aren't classless.
Posted by bassplayerguy on January 20, 2014 at 8:12 PM · Report this
RhettOracle 46
22 reasons to cut Sherman some slack:

Posted by RhettOracle on January 20, 2014 at 8:27 PM · Report this
@44: Did you see some of those tweets? Flat out, straight up racist.

Also, was what Paul said about Erin Andrews wrong? Did he imply that any unpreparedness was due to her gender? Nope.

Learn a little more about the guy before you dismiss him as 'classless'.
Posted by clashfan on January 20, 2014 at 8:35 PM · Report this
Yes and some of the things said about Herman Cain were racist. That doesn't mean that Herman Cain is above criticism just because some people who criticized him were racist. Paul said that "most" of the people were criticizing him b/c he's black. As in the majority. That's a load of shit. MOST people are criticizing him because he acted like an ass, SOME are criticizing him because he's black in the same way that SOME criticized Hermain Cain because he was black.

"Also, was what Paul said about Erin Andrews wrong?"

Well, yes but that wasn't my point.

"Did he imply that any unpreparedness was due to her gender?"

Read carefully. I said "That's MORE sexist than the claims about Sherman are racist. " I was underscoring that the claims about Sherman acting like a classless douche were, in fact, based on his acting like a classless douche and not because of his race.

"Learn a little more about the guy before you dismiss him as 'classless'."

I don't need to know anything about him to know that he ACTED classless. I don't care what kind of wonderful things you do in your spare time it doesn't give you a "Get Out Of Being A Jackass Free" card.
Posted by bassplayerguy on January 20, 2014 at 9:55 PM · Report this
@48
So what do you make of the "Deuce-Face" phenomenon?
Posted by JonCracolici on January 20, 2014 at 11:31 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 50
dwight, bassplayer, I'm sure you're just as appalled at what happened to Jeremy Lane during the punt return, am I right?

I mean, you obviously watched the game, as you present yourselves as understanding completely what was going on. And your judgment is perfect & absolute, right? So you know what happened and can give a definitive answer. I mean, you're obviously not knee-jerking to something you just learned about it passing. That would be silly to suggest something like that.

Anyway, I'd really like to hear your thoughts on the Jeremy Lane incident.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on January 21, 2014 at 12:03 AM · Report this
@49 I don't really follow soccer but from my understanding there was an onfield scuffle and a guy made a silly face and now people have t-shirts and the like with him making the face. So if that's the whole situation (which it might not be) then I don't see how it's comparable to this situation.
Posted by bassplayerguy on January 21, 2014 at 6:02 AM · Report this
"That would be silly to suggest something like that."

Absolutely. It would actually be borderline retarded to suggest something like that. That would be something that Paul would do. ("I don't know who this guy is or what he does or who that person with lady bits is who's interviewing him but.......RAAAAAAAAAAAACIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSMMMMMM!!!)

Now to answer your question; am I "just" as appalled? No because for one, the video is really unclear whether or not there was contact between him and the mystery man in black. There was a down marker right where he stumbled, it looked like he was losing his footing etc. Beyond that, if the guy did shove him down then he or the team absolutely deserve a fine. Would I be "just" as appalled then? No, because while that would definitely be a douchy, classless move on his part he's not a player, he's not a competitor, and the game was still going on. If the Niners had just won and then he'd gone up and shoved Lane to the ground and then did an interview talking about how Lane was a mediocre punter then yes, in that situation I'd be just as appalled.

Posted by bassplayerguy on January 21, 2014 at 6:17 AM · Report this
pragmatic 53
It would actually be borderline retarded to suggest something like that.

In trying to show you're not a bigot, you show you're a bigot. Fail!
Posted by pragmatic on January 21, 2014 at 7:12 AM · Report this
I'm no more a bigot than Dan Savage is a bigot (you know that whole thing that about him using "leotarded"?). But ok, point taken. I should've said "You would have to be a moron to suggest something like that." Moreover, I'm not trying to show that I'm not a bigot. I'm trying to explain why there's a lot of people who are criticizing Sherman for acting like a classless jackass. Although you must have been an athlete at one time because that's some world class sidesteppin' right there.
Posted by bassplayerguy on January 21, 2014 at 8:03 AM · Report this
care bear 55
@45 Then you either weren't very good or weren't very competitive. Plus, calling someone mediocre is pretty tame trash talk.
Posted by care bear on January 21, 2014 at 8:09 AM · Report this
pragmatic 56
@54 I was just point out the hypocrisy of your using a slur during your discourse to show you aren't being racist. Dan Savage's comments aren't at issue here, yours are.

Also, one does not have to be an athlete to understand comments said in the heat of the moment. Have you ever been in the stands during a big game like this? I was on Sunday, and let me tell you, calling a guy mediocre is extremely fucking tame compared to things even 49ers fans had to say after that game. I'm getting pretty tired of people expecting athletes to live up to a higher standard than they do themselves.
Posted by pragmatic on January 21, 2014 at 8:20 AM · Report this
@55 I don't see how you guys don't get it. It wasn't the trash talk, it was the trash talk AFTER he won. That's the what was classless. You know why you didn't see any of the Broncos players talking trash about the Pat's after they won? Because it's classless to do so. That's why the other players on his own team didn't do it. Lynch and Wilson had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more reason to brag. They're the reason the team won. Anything less than a superlative performance by Marshawn and there's no way the seahawks advances. You fucking just won. There's no need to trash talk anymore. There's no need to get into your opponents head any more. To continue to trash talk your opponent after the victory is completely unnecessary and is strongly indicative of you being a jackass. That's why people have a problem with it. That's why other athletes have a problem with it. If you want to do it or defend a guy that does it then that's fine. You go right ahead but don't act like it's a standard part of this or any other game. You'll just have to accept the fact that large numbers of people are going to consider you a classless jackass.
Posted by bassplayerguy on January 21, 2014 at 8:24 AM · Report this
pragmatic 58
@57
I beg to differ, if he hadn't batted that ball away, the 49ers would have scored and gone up by at least 1 point with less than a minute to go. So, likely had he not made that play, they would have lost. Sherman won the game on Sunday.
Posted by pragmatic on January 21, 2014 at 8:32 AM · Report this
"uring your discourse to show you aren't being racist."

As I said, and I'll say again, I was trying to show no such thing. I was trying to show why people have a problem with what he said and when he said it.

"I'm getting pretty tired of people expecting athletes to live up to a higher standard than they do themselves."

And yet other athletes don't have a problem with not acting like a jackass after they just won the big game. Why do you think that is? Why didn't Wilson trash talk after the victory? Why didn't Manning? In terms of bad blood there's no blood more bad in the game than his rivalry with Brady but did you hear him talking trash? Nope.
Posted by bassplayerguy on January 21, 2014 at 8:34 AM · Report this
@59, but Bass, you're acting like a jackass and you haven't one anything.
Posted by GermanSausage on January 21, 2014 at 8:51 AM · Report this
@60 Nor have I "won" anything. And if you'd like to tell me exactly how I'm acting like a jackass I'm all ears.
Posted by bassplayerguy on January 21, 2014 at 8:54 AM · Report this
@58 But that play doesn't mean anything if they're not ahead which is the result of Wilson and Lynch. Wilson and Lynch both had many big plays while Sherman had one big play. Multiple big plays directly related to victory = more reason to brag than one big play. And I'm not 100% convinced that Sherman was the only defender who could've made that play but Lynch is, at the very least, one of the very very very very very very very few running backs who could've dialed in the performance he did.
Posted by bassplayerguy on January 21, 2014 at 9:03 AM · Report this
McJulie 63
@16 I think you are on to something. The guy is obviously adrenaline-hyped -- the body language, the way he's breathing -- which is pretty much exactly what you'd expect -- but I think it might be the raw intensity of the emotion that caused people to flip out about it.
Posted by McJulie on January 21, 2014 at 9:08 AM · Report this
pragmatic 64
@62 Kaepernick had 2 interceptions and more rushing yards on fewer tries than Lynch, not to diminish Lynch's performance, but that was because of strong defense leaving him nothing else to do, which is why the Seahawks won that game. The Hawks had weaker offense than the 49ers, and stronger defense, which is how the Seahawks have been playing, especially the last third of the season. That's their only hope against Denver, keeping strong defense going, because the Hawks haven't scored more than 30 points since they beat the Saints on Dec 2. Denver averaged ~38 points and 340 passing yards during the regular season, though fewer in the playoffs so far. So pass defense, from people like Sherman, will be key to defeating them. Wilson will be helped greatly by Denver's weak pass defense, 27th in the league.
Posted by pragmatic on January 21, 2014 at 9:25 AM · Report this
Paul, Check out this video and you will learn a lot about Sherman AND a lot about football.

I really have no problem with Richard Sherman's emotions flowing over into the post game. Its not exactly my style, but hardly condemnable in the context of a violent and highly emotionally charged sport. Also, if you take the time to get to know who Richard Sherman is, this kind of talk is just one small part of a very interesting guy.
Posted by longball on January 21, 2014 at 10:10 AM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 66
@50- I have no clue why people are so keen on defending Richard Sherman, so I guess I don't understand the aspect of the game that has to do with the tribal behaviors of fans.

As for Jeremy Lane...No absolutely definitive video that I ever saw, but it looks a lot like someone (staff?) interfered with him on the sideline while the play was going on. Or maybe he just was tripping over the line marker. Unlike Richard Sherman's post-game interview, the evidence isn't definitive.

Richard Sherman acted like a classless jerk. If you think that's a necessary part of sport, it's because you think being an asshole is part of sports. Or it's because you think it's OK when your team does it. Either way I think that's a crappy way to live.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on January 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM · Report this
@64 I don't doubt that the defense as a unit was integral to the win but I'd be more inclined to credit the line for consistently stopping one of the best rushers in the game than a single DB for having one play against the worst passing offense in football. Kaepernick has always been a shitty passer and stopping the Niners airgame is a below mean feet. In short, the line would also (in addition to Lynch) have more of a reason to brag. But you didn't hear anyone from the line saying "Gore is mediocre! I'll shut his mouth!...blah blah blah!"
Posted by bassplayerguy on January 21, 2014 at 10:59 AM · Report this
@67
You can debate that forever, but the fact is that if Sherman doesnt, tip it, we lose
Deuceface was dempsey completely mocking an opponent. In a way that could be EASILY thought of as unprofessional. But people love it.
Posted by JonCracolici on January 21, 2014 at 11:15 AM · Report this
pragmatic 69
@67 & @68
The deuceface
Posted by pragmatic on January 21, 2014 at 11:26 AM · Report this
@67
You might have, had they been interviewed.
Posted by JonCracolici on January 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM · Report this
@40 AND @68

Sherman isn't getting a pass by me simply because he did NOT make the game winning play. I'll admit he set it up with the tip but the actual play was made by Smith who actually made the interception. If Smith had not caught the ball then the 49's would have had another try at winning the game. Now if Smith had talked like that then I'd give him a pass on it since he DID make the game winning play. It wasn't the tip that wins the game but the interception. The tip set up the interception but without Smith making the catch Seattle probably would have lost the game since there was still time on the clock and it was NOT 4th down.
Posted by Romial on January 21, 2014 at 12:46 PM · Report this
@71- if you watch the video i linked above (@65) you'll see that Sherman tips the ball to his teammates on purpose.
Posted by longball on January 21, 2014 at 12:56 PM · Report this
@71
Why does he need a pass from you?
In fact, Id advise you don't give him a pass, because HE WILL SMASH IT OUT OF THE AIR AND CRUSH YOUR DREAMS!!!
Posted by JonCracolici on January 21, 2014 at 12:59 PM · Report this
@72 and it still requires that Smith make the game winning play. Without Smith catching the ball Seattle would most likely be sitting at home WATCHING the SB instead of being there (and getting beaten by Payton and the Broncos).

@73 No he wouldn't. But that is mostly because it would never get near him since I can't throw a football far enough to make it to his coverage area. My pass that way would be (easily) caught by a lineman.
Posted by Romial on January 21, 2014 at 1:40 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 75
Bass, I bet you make great pretzels. Your logic is amazing! Not being a competitor lets you off the hook, huh? Wow. So if you're not trying to be any better than the lowest scum, it's okay whatever you do!

For reference, here's the video slowed down. Which I found using a simple search on this site called "youtube." Whacky! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJmXDJyns…

Pretty clear. Guys jumping out of Lane's way and one guy who doesn't. When Lane reaches that guy, his head snaps back quickly. Pretty obvious what happened.

Dwight, for context, what you heard is what happens on nearly every play in every NFL game, even before the game. It's called trash talk, and it's pretty common; and not just in football, either. Players don't go public about it, they want to maintain that squeaky clean image. What you heard from Sherman is honesty. Now, if you want to denigrate every football player for being classless, I get that. But don't single out Sherman. He's no different than any other player.

71, the LOB & Sherman practice that play on purpose. They did almost the exact same play in the game against the Giants. Here's the vid where he explains it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6_UywvgG…
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on January 22, 2014 at 1:01 AM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 76
@75- "What you heard from Sherman is honesty"

That's great. He's an honest asshole. That doesn't make him not an asshole.

"Now, if you want to denigrate every football player for being classless, I get that. But don't single out Sherman. He's no different than any other player."

But he is. I've seen hundreds, maybe thousands of post-game on field interviews and Sherman is the first guy I've seen refer to his opponent as "sorry" and give that weird, angry "Don't even talk about me!" declaration.

But suppose you're right. Suppose this is just football and the players are gloating dicks when they win. Do I have to like that? Or is it wrong for me to point out that being a classless jackass in victory is not admirable? Am I just not a real fan because I think respectful and honorable behavior is more enjoyable to witness?

Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on January 22, 2014 at 11:08 AM · Report this
@76
I'm getting the impression that you don't play sports. My OWN DAD would shit talk me when we played against each other. Hes a good guy.
Posted by JonCracolici on January 22, 2014 at 11:55 AM · Report this
@75 "So if you're not trying to be any better than the lowest scum, it's okay whatever you do!"

That's bizarre that you'd get that impression from my post. Hmmmm...let's see what I actually wrote:

"if the guy did shove him down then he or the team absolutely deserve a FINE"

Ok that wasn't it.

"that would definitely be a DOUCHY, CLASSLESS move on his part"

Yeah, nothing I wrote should've given you that impression at all. Getting fined and being called douchy and classless does NOT = it's ok. As a matter of fact I used the same terminology to describe his actions as I did to describe Sherman's. There's this thing called "reading" that I think you should get into. It's "wacky", I know.

"Pretty clear."

It's as clear as Lake Onondaga. It's as clear as a Beijing sunset.

"It's called trash talk, and it's pretty common; and not just in football, either."

I don't know why this needs to continue to be clarified but here it is for the umpteenth time. Trash talking BEFORE and DURING the game are part of the game. Trash talk AFTER you won is classless. Trash talking BEFORE and DURING the game are functional. It's psychological warfare, you get into your opponents head and maybe he makes an error. Trash talking AFTER YOU WON serves no purpose. It's classless. You just fucking won. All of the trash talk before and during the game was already backed up. Trash talk is a part of the game as much as winning graciously. But I guess I'm coming down a bit hard on you. I mean, I've only clarified this point in posts 44, 45, 57, and 59. So how many times does someone need to repeat something before you digest it? 10? 20? I'd be happy to cut and paste that many times until it sinks in.

"But don't single out Sherman. He's no different than any other player."

Except he is. Most players don't continue the trash talk AFTER THEY JUST WON. That is what makes him different and worthy of criticism.
More...
Posted by bassplayerguy on January 22, 2014 at 3:41 PM · Report this
@69. Yeah, that was the video I saw and I believe it happened during a dust up DURING the game. Am I right?
Posted by bassplayerguy on January 22, 2014 at 3:42 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 80
@77- As I pointed out before, I was a competitive athlete in Judo back in the day. It's an example of a very violent sport can be conducted with respect.

Most people think their dads are good guys even when their dads are terrible people. In fact when I see shitty parenting, it's usually people imitating what their parents did to them.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on January 22, 2014 at 5:56 PM · Report this