Saturday, January 11, 2014

Today the Seahawks Play the New Orleans Saints and the Loser Is Out of the Running

Posted by on Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 12:45 PM

After a two-decade hiatus, I began watching the Seahawks again this year. I grew up here and used to watch football—I even played it until my sophomore year of high school, when I quit to take up smoking pot.

This year I mainly started watching again because my brother, who lives three blocks away from me, bought a football cable package for his television. He promptly forgot about the games as soon as snow started falling in the mountains, but I stuck with it, thankful for a distraction that ultimately has no bearing on my life. I like to think it's just coincidental that the Hawks happen to be kind of ruling it this year, but at the same time, I'd probably be lying if I said I would have finished the regular season with them if they were still terrible.

Which brings us just about up to today's game. First though, it must be said that if there's a common thread among Seattle's professional sports teams, it's that they're prone to choking when it matters most. For the Hawks, that could be at the Super Bowl this year or it could be today. Or it might not happen at all. And let me be completely clear: I do not want it to happen. As my esteemed former colleague Bradley S. posted to the internet last night, it's "that moment as a Seattle sports fan when you feel both excitement and sheer, brutal dread." Let's hope the Hawks don't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory this time around.

And now to today: As has been pointed out, the Hawks caught some crucial lucky breaks the last time the Saints were in town, but they won handily, 27-3. Still, their performance throughout this season has been nothing if not inconsistent, having clutched threadbare victories against even some of the worst teams in the league, and then other times effortlessly decimating more worthy adversaries. And while they closed the season with an impressive 13-3 record, two of those losses came in the last four games.

I won't pretend to know enough about the nuances of this match-up to speculate any more than that—I just know I'm hoping for the best and fearing the worst. But enough about me. What do you think will happen at the game today, Slog?

It was actually 34-7 last time the Saints were in town.
Posted by dr0q on January 11, 2014 at 1:02 PM · Report this
Grant Brissey, Emeritus 2
Thanks @ 1. I forgot to double check that one.
Posted by Grant Brissey, Emeritus http://www.grantropolis.com/ on January 11, 2014 at 1:05 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 3
"Football—I even played it until my sophomore year of high school, when I quit to take up smoking pot."

Excellent, I love the rare moment when a Slog writer and myself share life experiences!
You know, the thing most bugged me about football was the absolute stink of the locker room. Hello skunk weed!
Posted by dnt trust me on January 11, 2014 at 1:18 PM · Report this
biffp 4
Pike's Market?
Posted by biffp on January 11, 2014 at 1:50 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 5
Football is not the sport to watch for butts.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on January 11, 2014 at 2:03 PM · Report this
TVDinner 6
@5: Pfft. Wrong-o, Daddy-o. Butts are the only redeeming factor in football.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on January 11, 2014 at 2:37 PM · Report this
very bad homo 7
Butts win.
Posted by very bad homo on January 11, 2014 at 2:55 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 8
@6 - There are some fine butts there, but they aren't well featured. Sure, there's the hand way up in a guy's butt every play, but the camera is always way up in the distance when that happens.

You want butts, watch soccer or rugby (oh, what I would give for an American Rugby League with televised games...). If butts are all you're getting out of football, I might argue there are better targets for your attentions.

I will say, however, that The A. V. Club has given me a new reason to pay attention to football: to read about it through the lens of a <"http://www.avclub.com/article/the-av-clu…">pop culture blog.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on January 11, 2014 at 3:12 PM · Report this
TVDinner 9
@8: Sure, sure, those guys who play aerobic sports have great asses. But those asses aren't swathed in spandex. And, uh, why is it getting warm in here?

Posted by TVDinner http:// on January 11, 2014 at 7:04 PM · Report this
@4 - that bugged me too

@grant - great pull of a great quote: it's "that moment as a Seattle sports fan when you feel both excitement and sheer, brutal dread."

Perfect. Onward.
Posted by DawginExile on January 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM · Report this
tainte 11
welcome back to the football. i just started watching again last year after about 15 years away. here are a couple of things that are new:

-if a player does ANYTHING good, there will be a celebration.
-half of the players now look like "predator".
Posted by tainte on January 12, 2014 at 7:50 AM · Report this