and Drunks

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Can Ed Murray Get a Little Respect?

Posted by on Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Yes, he can—from Salon.

Move over, de Blasio: Meet the big-city mayor vowing to get his city a $15 minimum wage

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray says public workers will get $15/hr within months, and private sector workers could be next

Three days before being sworn into office as Seattle’s Mayor, Ed Murray signed his first executive order: directing city departments to develop a plan to start paying city employees at least $15 an hour. That order follows Murray’s December announcement of a task force charged with developing a proposal to raise private sector wages. Interviewed this week, Murray told Salon that public employees “should have confidence” they’ll be making at least $15 “in the next several months” and “I think that we are gonna get to $15” for Seattle’s private sector workers as well.

In the Q&A that follows—worth your time to read—Murray shows The Stranger, if not Kshama Sawant, some respect:

The argument was made to me, by the newly elected socialist council member Kshama Sawant, that both you and your opponent were “very carefully avoiding” the $15 issue until it was brought up by her campaign and by fast food workers. Do you think that’s a fair criticism?

It is absolutely incorrect, and it’s really sad to see progressives questioning other progressives’ motivations.

I have a history as a legislator working on issues related to the—related to poverty, related to civil rights. I’m on film at a forum that the local newspaper, the Stranger, did, and a youth organization called the Bus did. They asked us to stand in a square—it was done more as a game/forum for candidates – and they asked who supported a $15 minimum wage. I stood in that minimum wage [square]. I had no idea who Sawant was at the time. I wasn’t paying attention to her race. And the individuals in labor who organized the fast food workers were labor leaders who supported my campaign, and who I have worked with for years. So again, it is—given my own history, I think it’s unfortunate that she is questioning folks’ motivation. I certainly am not questioning hers.

Ed confirms that the Stranger is "the local newspaper." The local newspaper, singular. Our new mayor acknowledging that we are, in fact, Seattle's only newspaper? What more could we ask for?

MacCrocodile 1
"I had no idea who Sawant was at the time. I wasn't paying attention to her race."

Wait wait wait. He was running for mayor and he had no idea whom he might be working with? Wasn't one of his big selling points that he would be able to work with the city council?
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on January 9, 2014 at 12:48 PM · Report this
Fnarf 2
I think he meant "the local newspaper" to differentiate from all the other things that The Stranger could mean -- the book, the film, the guy standing over -- wait, who IS that guy?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on January 9, 2014 at 12:56 PM · Report this
guerre 3
@1 Sawant was such a come from nowhere winner that I have no doubt that an establishment guy like Murray wouldn't have had her on his radar. I hope Murray can get over this pettiness and stop being so offended by her presence. Sawant is from another political party, of course she is not going to be confrontational with democrats.
Posted by guerre on January 9, 2014 at 1:04 PM · Report this
guerre 4
of course she is going to be*
Posted by guerre on January 9, 2014 at 1:04 PM · Report this
Well, I, for one, hope The Stranger is our local newspaper. Because the Times has morphed into this cheerleader role rather than reporting role. (I know this is true in education reporting. They now have a major grant from the Gates Foundation to fund ed reform reporting and are working on an agreement to gain access to Seattle Public Schools' student data.)

The Times is not functioning as a solid daily newspaper and The Stranger gains more credibility with every election (whether or not they get every race right).
Posted by westello on January 9, 2014 at 1:06 PM · Report this
COMTE 6
Square standing aside (can this be confirmed? IS there video of him standing in a square?), the remainder of his statement seems to be a not-very-carefully parsing: "well, I was supported by labor, and labor supported fast food workers who went on strike for a $15 an-hour minimum wage, therefore, by-association, it should be clear as crystal that I too support it as well".

By this, may we also infer that Murray supports all the other things labor supports, because, you know, they supported him?
Posted by COMTE on January 9, 2014 at 1:13 PM · Report this
Aaron 7
I don't gunk of The Stranger as a newspaper so much as an advocacy forum.
Posted by Aaron on January 9, 2014 at 1:14 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 8
@3 - Still, if he's going to claim to be so personable and friendly, he might give some credit to the person who started the ball rolling. She may be from another party and a surprise winner, but she's on the council now. Giving her credit is the classy thing to do and more likely to get you that across-the-aisle cooperation he claims to engender than saying "Oh this? I just found this issue here on the ground. It's always been a central part of my campaign, and I don't know how your name got on it."
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on January 9, 2014 at 1:17 PM · Report this
The Establishment 9
@2

That's the stranger. Lowercase.
Posted by The Establishment on January 9, 2014 at 1:17 PM · Report this
Posted by dak7e on January 9, 2014 at 1:31 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 11
I rather like he stands up for himself when confronted.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on January 9, 2014 at 1:32 PM · Report this
Did Sawant previously run against both of Ed's seatmates? And he doesn't know her from Adam?
Posted by kurisu on January 9, 2014 at 1:33 PM · Report this
I frequently disagree with the Stranger but you play a vital role in providing a different voice for the city.
Posted by ProstSeattle on January 9, 2014 at 1:34 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 14
@12 for the Pay Attention win
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on January 9, 2014 at 1:52 PM · Report this
I'm assuming such a film of a forum by The Stranger and Washington Bus exists or you guys would have ripped Ed to pieces over it. How about linking to it on Youtube and people can see for themselves what happened.
Posted by NotYourStrawMan on January 9, 2014 at 2:17 PM · Report this
Allow me to do your job for you: Here's the link to that forum held on July 16, 2013. http://youtu.be/-hN1eNgHPoo
Go to 2:00 to see Murray move to the YES side on the $15 wage issue.
Posted by NotYourStrawMan on January 9, 2014 at 2:26 PM · Report this
COMTE 17
Thanks @16, but WTH? Did Murray accidentally think it was Halloween and decide to attend as Angus Young?
Posted by COMTE on January 9, 2014 at 2:54 PM · Report this
So Sawant calls the other council members corporate puppets who don't care about the average Seattle person (I'm paraphrasing), but the mayors the one that needs to show Sawant some respect...
Posted by j2patter on January 9, 2014 at 8:06 PM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 19
Just a couple of ways Murray has supported the working class:

A) Cutting corporate taxes while making it harder to get unemployment during a recession.

B) Not voting against Boeing's demand for more tax cuts

So progressive.
Posted by TheMisanthrope on January 9, 2014 at 8:42 PM · Report this
@19, those are really great points, I wish the stranger would focus on stuff Murray has actually done, rather then him being a big meanie to Sawant...
Posted by j2patter on January 9, 2014 at 9:08 PM · Report this
Wasn't Murray also joining in the political pressuring of the machinists union (granted not playing a big role) just these lasts few weeks? Some friend of labor, indeed!
Posted by Upchuck on January 9, 2014 at 11:50 PM · Report this
Posted by cracked on January 10, 2014 at 11:38 AM · Report this
Dirtclustit 23
I don't understand what happend, did somebody tell somebody important to "go fornicate with themselves"?
Posted by Dirtclustit on January 11, 2014 at 8:59 AM · Report this