Monday, January 6, 2014

What Do You Think of the House of Cards Season Two Trailer?

Posted by on Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I'm a big fan of the American version of House of Cards. So I was a little surprised that the new trailer for the second season of House of Cards left me cold. Here it is:

I guess my problem is mainly that trailers for TV series always feel kind of low-rent. House of Cards is about politics and quiet machinations, so when a bunch of highlights are crammed together like this, it gives the show an embarrassing soap-opera kind of feel. Or maybe the show isn't as good as I remembered it being? Anyway: What do you think?

very bad homo 1
I started getting bored by the end of season one, but this does look promising,
Posted by very bad homo on January 6, 2014 at 12:03 PM · Report this
Karlheinz Arschbomber 2
It *is* a soap opera. Why shouldn't the trailer have a cheesy soap opera-feel to it?
Posted by Karlheinz Arschbomber http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arschbombe on January 6, 2014 at 12:07 PM · Report this
I am a big fan of the original BBC version. I thought the American version was a OK but nothing special. KS's character of a southern senator was a little Looney Tunes. It seem affected and fake. The BBC version ended in a way that doesn't have room for more seasons though, so once its over there will be no more seasons.
Posted by wl on January 6, 2014 at 12:10 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 4
Well, season 2 of the British version was kinda disappointing, so this is a faithful adaptation in that sense.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on January 6, 2014 at 12:19 PM · Report this
rob! 5
I might start watching the webseries Hustling if Spacey took over the lead.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on January 6, 2014 at 12:29 PM · Report this
notaboomer 6
when repub rand paul says snowden has been persecuted and dem chuck schumer wants snowden prosecuted, there really ain't room for a fictional house o cards.
Posted by notaboomer on January 6, 2014 at 12:29 PM · Report this
seattlestew 7
Thank you, sir, may I have another?
Posted by seattlestew on January 6, 2014 at 12:32 PM · Report this
danewood 8
I loved House of Cards. That said, I don't think it's nearly as good as we think it is. It's pretty and well acted but it's a soap opera disguised as a smart political thriller. That doesn't make it bad it just makes it a guilty pleasure.
Posted by danewood on January 6, 2014 at 12:32 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 9
@8 - I haven't seen the American version, so I can't really say how it turned out. I can say, however, that Ian Richardson had an incredible charisma I've never seen matched. He could do an entire scene without moving a muscle apart from those needed to speak and convey a world of emotion and intent.

Some may say that Kevin Spacey is a fine actor, too, but well...
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on January 6, 2014 at 12:41 PM · Report this
care bear 10
@8 Why does it have to be a guilty pleasure? Can't it just be a pleasure, even if it is a soap opera?
Posted by care bear on January 6, 2014 at 1:05 PM · Report this
The US version is a pale reflection of the British original, as is usually the case.
Posted by Pol Pot on January 6, 2014 at 1:25 PM · Report this
The problem with the US House of Cards is they set up Senator Frank Underwood as this Machiavellian master strategist - but he clearly isn't.

In order to keep the drama going there all these foibles that ruin his plans with-in plans. Everything cascades out of control and you lose track what it was all about in the first place.

So the problem really is Frank is actually a huge fuck up. Pretty much everything that goes wrong is his fault and can be seen by the audience (for dramatic tension) a mile away. So you get tired of his antics so they have to up the stakes every two episodes to keep the audience invested and that get's pretty hacky after a while.
Posted by tkc on January 6, 2014 at 1:32 PM · Report this
Knat 13
Sorry, can't watch it. Not knowing which direction it was going to go was a large part of the fun of the first season.
Posted by Knat on January 6, 2014 at 1:48 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 14
i watched the 1st episode and it was too real. DC is depressing enough without having to see the sausage being made. shit isn't entertaining, it's rage-inducing.
Posted by Max Solomon on January 6, 2014 at 3:59 PM · Report this