Monday, December 23, 2013

Man Who Never Heard of The Stranger Is Upset that The Stranger Publishes Dan Savage

Posted by on Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Our mailbag runneth over. Bolds on this letter are mine, but everything else is exactly as it was sent to us, except I removed the author's last name.

Dear Editor:

Why would you publish such a foul-mouthed and hateful piece as that written by Dan Savage, "Good Grief and Great Tits"? Giving voice to radical opinions from any political persuasion is to be praised. Publishing material where profanity, death wishes, abuse of the Lord's Name and anti-Semitic comments are the best tools of the "writer" dishonors you like smeared lipstick on a whore.

Is Mr. Savage's juvenile rant representative of the content and views of your publication? Is THIS how you want to be defined? Really? I have never heard of your publication and now I know why.

As for Mr. Savage's wishes for the death of Sarah Palin, and his obvious disdain for Christians and Jews, well..par for the course for such a juvenile hack as Mr. Savage and, apparently, par for the course for a rag such as the Stranger.

Have a blessed day.

Rick

And before you ask, I can assure you that Rick's last name is not Santorum.

Warren?
Posted by tshicks on December 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM · Report this
Original Andrew 2
"Extra! Extra! Profanity, death wishes, and abuse of the Lord's Name. Free every Wednesday-read all about it!!"
Posted by Original Andrew on December 23, 2013 at 3:06 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 3
Astley
Posted by keshmeshi on December 23, 2013 at 3:09 PM · Report this
Please, pretty please give us his last name and e-mail, so that we can all thank him for his thoughtful letter.

Posted by Merchant Seaman on December 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM · Report this
Somebody lacks a sense of humor.
Posted by Clayton on December 23, 2013 at 3:18 PM · Report this
eastcoastreader 6
"disdain" for the Jews? he was going to bring them cookies!
Posted by eastcoastreader on December 23, 2013 at 3:19 PM · Report this
If Dan gives this guy one of his usual sardonic retorts, would you please give us the pleasure of showing us his response as well?
Posted by RedEye on December 23, 2013 at 3:23 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 8
Rick has given me joy!
Posted by Pope Peabrain on December 23, 2013 at 3:27 PM · Report this
What RedEye said. I feel this is a letter to the editor that really deserves a personal response from the editorial director himself.
Posted by Sean on December 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM · Report this
I have a friend/co-worker from a rural region of Oregon and she was reading the Stranger awhile back for the first time and asked me if the paper was always "like this". Myself and other co-workers said, "dude, it's The Stranger."

"What's the Stranger?"

The paper you are reading and in fact won a Pulitzer last year. Probably the three most powerful news items I have ever read.

What's a Pulitzer?

Personally, I just don't bother with the stupid sex question shit, as it bores me. However, The Stranger is quite an asset to this city and region. Oh and guy, go fuck yourself.
Posted by ortolan on December 23, 2013 at 3:31 PM · Report this
seatackled 11
I think the answers to the three questions in paragraph 2 are, "Yes"; "Yes"; and "Yes." But that's just a guess, as I do not speak for the Stranger.
Posted by seatackled on December 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM · Report this
mikethehammer 12
Rick Blues?
Posted by mikethehammer on December 23, 2013 at 3:51 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 13
I have an uncle Rick. It could be him, I guess. In fact, I'm sure it is.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on December 23, 2013 at 4:03 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 14
This definitely deserves a response, if only to clarify that Dan is one of the fucking owners of the paper.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on December 23, 2013 at 4:10 PM · Report this
TomJohnsonJr 15
@14, owner?
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on December 23, 2013 at 4:12 PM · Report this
Rick, like so many who posted negative comments after the great review, somehow read a death wish into the wish of choking on a cinnamon bun. Humans choke on stuff... and rarely die from it. Why do assholes always presume the worst in those that they didn't like to begin with?
If the Rick who wrote this is our current governor p.Rick Scott, I'm thrilled to know that he has figured out something to do with his time. Goodness knows he isn't doing his job.
If someone wants to wish me a happiest of holidays, the sincere wish that I choke on dicks, repeatedly, would be warmly received.
Posted by TampaDink on December 23, 2013 at 4:12 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 17
"I live in a region of America 2000 miles from Seattle, I have never been there, I couldn't find it on a map, and I have never heard of it's local weekly newspaper."

But I got linked to the article by the Sarah Palin outrage machine.
Posted by Max Solomon on December 23, 2013 at 4:14 PM · Report this
seatackled 18
Some owner. He couldn't even fire Lindy West.
Posted by seatackled on December 23, 2013 at 4:17 PM · Report this
@11: More to the point, Dan's rants are the POINT of the paper almost. That and the various ways of getting people hookups. The rest is all window dressing.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on December 23, 2013 at 4:23 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 20
Tom, my understanding is that he has a percentage. Not sure how big a percentage, but that makes him an owner.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on December 23, 2013 at 4:39 PM · Report this
Granny Smith 21
I love these sort of complaints. It never actually addresses the points made or the actual content of the review. It is apparently enough to complain that foul language was used then compare you to a ill-kept whore.

Posted by Granny Smith on December 23, 2013 at 5:01 PM · Report this
rob! 22
@15/20, you guys probably know that under the private umbrella is also Foundation/Gyrobase, the "content management" software package pretty widely used by small community papers, and by the Association of Alternative Newsmedia itself.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on December 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM · Report this
rick is to be forgiven.

one unfamiliar with the stranger would be shocked when first exposed to it.

incredibly crude and hateful.

not particularly insightful.

shrill, credulous and blindly partisan.

notable for as much for the glaring inconvenient truths that never even get mentioned as for the loud bigoted hatefulness.

if it is one of the better entites in the region it is a reflection on the sad state of 'journalism' in this declining society.
Posted by loud crude bigoted hatefulness is not journalism on December 23, 2013 at 5:21 PM · Report this
@23 Hatefulness pretty much always comes down to, "Who started it?" For example, if you were to publicly compare homosexuality to bestiality, or Jews and/or blacks to animals, and someone were to call you a hateful, bile-spewing pillock, could you then claim you were the innocent victim of ill-directed hatred? I would posit that you could not, since you elicited (and deserved) that reaction through your very own hate speech.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on December 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM · Report this
TVDinner 25

I'm confused. Is the lipstick dishonoring the whore? Is the whore dishonoring the lipstick? Do explain, Rick. I'm on tenterhooks.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on December 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM · Report this
@25

It's the smearing. The implication being the lack of a mirror to correct such a disheveled state . In ancient Rome, mirrors were quite expensive, so a lack of one implies poverty and therefore, dishonor. Whoredom however, was just a lucrative career for women at the time.
Posted by CobaltBlue on December 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 27
@26: Sounds like false history to me.

Also,lol at "Publishing material where profanity, death wishes, abuse of the Lord's Name and anti-Semitic comments are the best tools of the "writer" dishonors you like smeared lipstick on a whore."

YOU LIBERALS AND THEIR WHORE-FILTH SPEAK. Nice of the pinheaded pretending to read the article, then breaking out the obligatory Tea Party Protestant claims of Antisemitism.

You goober, learn to read.
Posted by undead ayn rand on December 23, 2013 at 7:25 PM · Report this

Speaking about who pays who...

"...A+E Networks [is] a joint venture between the Hearst Corporation and Disney–ABC Television Group (both of which maintain a 50% ownership interest)."

Mmm...how many SoCal Democrat Libs have their hands in the DD revenue stream?

Posted by That's Entertainment! on December 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM · Report this
sperifera 29
Wow. I'm sure a lot of sleep is being lost in the Savage household tonight over this letter.
Posted by sperifera on December 23, 2013 at 9:44 PM · Report this

'who started it' ?

what, are you two years old?

we feel sorry for you.....

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”

“Let no man pull you so low as to hate him.”

― Martin Luther King Jr.

Posted by Hate enslaves those who embrace it on December 23, 2013 at 11:11 PM · Report this
#3
For the win!

@25
I think the real issue is the lipstick makes the whore look like he or she services clowns.
Posted by CPN on December 24, 2013 at 12:59 AM · Report this
Ballard Pimp 32
I'd guess it's Rick Perry, but there are several polysyllabic words, and they seem to be spelled correctly.
Posted by Ballard Pimp on December 24, 2013 at 1:13 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 33
@24: "Who started it" is silly, because hating a person for who they are, and disliking that a person is full of hate and the way they express the hate are not equivocal.

It's perfectly acceptable to be intolerant of intolerance and bigotry, those shitheads need to be shoved to the edges of any society.
Posted by undead ayn rand on December 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM · Report this
venomlash 34
@30: It's less hatred for you and more disgust. Go piss up a rope.
Posted by venomlash on December 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM · Report this