and Drunks

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Rob Delaney on the Duck Dynasty Guy

Posted by on Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Charles is on the Duck Dynasty beat. But I'm on the Rob Delaney beat. So it's a beat-off! Or something. Anyway, here's Rob Delaney talking about the Duck Dynasty guy using the word "logic" to describe his bigotry. I enjoyed this video very much:

Cato the Younger Younger 1
I hope this entire Duck Dynasty crap goes the way of the shit I took yesterday morning. It's a fucking stupid reality TV show and I tried to watch one episode but could only make it through 10 minutes of it.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on December 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 2
Arguing with hillbillies. The state of American teevee.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on December 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM · Report this
@1: ten whole minutes? You have nine minutes more intestinal fortitude than I do.
Posted by originalcinner on December 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM · Report this
Nope. The state of American tv (I guess, I don't watch it) is losing your job for saying you prefer women. If you're a guy, if you're a woman presumably you'd get a raise and lots of talk show appearances. And the state of American PC bullshit is that merely saying you're straight and don't understand homosexual attraction is bigotry and the made up term homophobia.

And you're the ones quibbling with somebodies ill advised use of the word logic? Allrighty then!
Posted by Seattleblues on December 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM · Report this
COMTE 5
Somebody's SB. Somebody's.

Also, alrighty.

Also, also. You claim you don't watch "American tv", yet you nevertheless believe yourself qualified to comment on the current state of a medium about which you admittedly know next to nothing.

Alrighty then!
Posted by COMTE http://www.chriscomte.com on December 19, 2013 at 11:10 AM · Report this
@4 wait a minute someone lost their job? No? You're just spewing more bullshit? What a surprise.
Honestly you don't even have an argument in that comment.
For bring some tough guy, you sure seem to be victimized at an alarming rate.
Posted by CbytheSea on December 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM · Report this
Leishalynn 7
"weird, personal, idiosyncratic fears," lol.

& @ 4, Papa Dynasty didn't lose his job for saying he prefers women. But I could, due to a stripe of bigotry to describe which we made up the word "homophobia," just like we've made up all the other words in every language ever.
Posted by Leishalynn on December 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 8
@4 Also, I didn't hear any gay people say he should lose his job.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on December 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM · Report this
@4 How many [presumably male] television stars--either of the actor or the reality television variety--have lost their jobs for saying they prefer women? One hundred? Fifty? Ten? Hell, can you name a single straight man who has lost his gig on a television show because he said he is straight?
Posted by Clayton on December 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM · Report this
...the made up term homophobia

Hahaha. You know what else is a "made up term?"

"I own a house in Italy."
Posted by tkc on December 19, 2013 at 12:04 PM · Report this
thelyamhound 11
@4 - Saying you prefer women is one thing. Hey, I prefer women! I married one! And I'm a guy! Strangely, that doesn't seem to bother anyone.

What I don't imply is that my preference for women makes the acts I perform for the sake of sexual pleasure (mine and hers) privileges me morally, or that those men who prefer men are comparable to those who prefer fucking sheep or children, or that they are uniquely ostracized from the gifts awaiting us in the afterlife.

Obviously, the peckerwood is well within his rights believing such things. I'm not even entirely sure that he should be fired, given that "peckerwood" is exactly what they hired him to be. But A&E can suspend or fire whomever they want, provided they can demonstrate that he acted in some way against the interests of the company as they saw it.
Posted by thelyamhound http://thebayinghound.blogspot.com on December 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 12
All of this is reminding me of when TLC was The Learning Channel. And when A&E was Arts & Entertainment. Remember when Bravo was commercial free and showed fantastic arts programming? How about when American Movie Classics was commercial free and showed American movie classics? Those were the days.
Posted by keshmeshi on December 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM · Report this
spamky 13
Seattleblues is a bad but somehow successful troll
Posted by spamky on December 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM · Report this
This Duck Dynasty nonsense has hipped me to the rather unenlightened views of some my old high school buddies, with whom I'd lost contact but now encounter in my FB feed. It is sad and a touch fascinating. Sadinating, I'll call it.

Also, re: this made-up word "point" made above: Please explain to me which words (in any major language at any point in human history) were not made up. Please do so using only words that were not made up.
Posted by California on December 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM · Report this
Banna 15
Wait, that guy's straight? 0 on the Kinsey scale straight?
Posted by Banna http://www.ucp.org on December 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 16
@13: Yeah, he really has trolling down. It is about sounding just sane enough that people assume you are just wrong and can be reasoned with, and saying things that are just wrong enough so they do not come off as completely bonkers.

No one really bothers with sgt. doom or the pureblood racists because it is obvious they are just insane trolls. But the fake persona Seattleblues has cultivated here (minority wife, small business owner, family man, Christian values-based homophobe) is just believable enough to get others to go along with it for the sake of argument.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on December 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM · Report this
Kinison 17
I love it when bigots do this stuff, then become outraged claiming their first amendment rights were violated. Ive been reading countless comments about this today and its like drinking coffee made with tears.

A&E did not prevent the interview from being printed or posted to the internet. GQ did not skew his words and printed almost everything he said. His first amendment rights were never violated and you would have to be a moron to think he doesnt have the right to say what he said, but he does not have the right to keep his job once his employers find out and terminate his position they saw fit.

The fact that Sarah Palin had to chime in defense of Phil, just screams out how wrong they are.
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on December 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM · Report this
@16, Loveschild was a good one for a while there, too. Maybe it's the same person?
Posted by California on December 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 19
@14, the ONLY good thing about Facebook was it made me realize that I didn't want to go to my 20 year high school reunion. Most of my high school class think's Obama's a terrorist and we needed second amendment solutions to everything.

Yeah, Duck Dynasty describes Livingston Montana to a T.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on December 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM · Report this
biffp 20
Aziz Ansari clip is a funnier response:

Posted by biffp on December 19, 2013 at 12:42 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 21
@16 - When I engage the trolls, I think of it as a writing exercise. Nothing productive will come out of it, but I get a chance to try out some lines I think might be clever.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on December 19, 2013 at 12:55 PM · Report this
@18 My thoughts exactly - same troll. And I can't help thinking that it's Dan's ol' dinner buddy, Brian Brown, trolling via a sock puppet.
Posted by Jared Bascomb on December 19, 2013 at 1:02 PM · Report this
Lol. All you have to do is watch one segment of a Duck Dynasty episode and you realize "logic" should not be in any paragraph involving it.
Posted by ChefJoe on December 19, 2013 at 1:30 PM · Report this
Bauhaus I 24
Duck what?....who?
Posted by Bauhaus I on December 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM · Report this
Being on a reality TV show is not "having a job". The bigot did not, therefore, "lose his job". He's still out there doing whatever it is he does to ducks, which is his real job.
Posted by originalcinner on December 19, 2013 at 2:39 PM · Report this
First, correction noted. The guy was suspended, not fired.

But the main points remain. Calling someone bigoted because they don't understand your perversions is stupid. From a 'journalist' like Constant it's libel.

Homophobia is not a psychiatric condition. Even if it were the incidence would be prohibitively rare. After all, who's afraid of butch women in flannels or swishy hairdressers with ridiculous speech patterns? So yes, the word is not speech, but propaganda.

Finally this guy saying he likes women, as the vast majority of men do or you idiots wouldn't be here, isn't hateful. It's crassly put, but profane vulgar and crass are what you guys love. Just not when it expresses normal sentiments.
Posted by Seattleblues on December 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM · Report this
ɥsɐןɯouǝʌ 27
@26: Homophobia is a character trait, not a psychiatric condition. Do you think that xenophobia is made-up also?
Seattleblues, the issue wasn't that he expressed a preference for women; the issue was that he called the preferences of others invalid and claimed that HIS opinions were the only acceptable ones.
Oh, also he said that black people were happy under slavery. What the fuck.
Posted by ɥsɐןɯouǝʌ on December 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM · Report this
COMTE 28
So, SB does this mean you're adding "authority on psychiatry" to your long list of other "accomplishments"?
Posted by COMTE http://www.chriscomte.com on December 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM · Report this
Sandiai 29
@5, he's never been able to do possessives.
Posted by Sandiai on December 20, 2013 at 3:35 AM · Report this
thelyamhound 30
@26 - Is calling consensual (by both legal and social definitions) acts with an individual with whom one shares mutual attraction (and possibly emotional intimacy) "perversion" any more enlightened than calling those who don't understand such desires or behaviors "bigoted?" This had been posed to you before; I'm assuming that you missed it, rather than assuming that, as usual, you are either too cowardly or too intellectually stunted to actually debate points when I make them.

I'd venture to say I like and am attracted to women both more broadly and more deeply than you, despite my also--to a more limited degree--being attracted to men.
Posted by thelyamhound http://thebayinghound.blogspot.com on December 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM · Report this