Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Idiot Hates New Pope

Posted by on Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 1:35 PM

The Independent says:

Former Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin has said Pope Francis has “taken her aback” with his liberal interpretation of Christianity and has expressed fears he may be being influenced by the mainstream media...She told interviewer Jake Tapper: “He's had some statements that to me sound kind of liberal, has taken me aback, has kind of surprised me. There again, unless I really dig deep into what his messaging is, and do my own homework, I’m not going to just trust what I hear in the media.”

She continued: "I'm kinda trying to follow what his agenda is. You know he came out with a couple of things in the media but again I'm not one to trust the media's interpretation of somebody's message but having read through media outlets," the former Governor of Alaska said.

My favorite response to Palin is quoted elsewhere in the article: “If Sarah Palin's this shocked by Pope Francis, she'll be catatonic when she finally gets round to reading about Jesus in the New Testament.” I have to admit: I was skeptical about Pope Francis, but the news that Palin and other conservatives dislike him, combined with the images of him stopping a procession to comfort a disfigured man, have convinced me that he's a positive force in the world, even if the organization he's running is regressive and harmful. He's leading by example, and he's bringing up serious issues that make conservative Christians very uncomfortable. I think you can tentatively count this atheist and self-excommunicated Catholic as a Pope Francis fan.

dwightmoodyforgetsthings 1
I had thought The Stranger was too smart to be joining the Pope Francis Is Swell bandwagon.

He's not changing a damn thing. He's a great bit of PR and nothing else.

Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on November 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 2
you're not catholic or ex-catholic or post-catholic so STFU sarah.

francis' job is to rehabilitate the church's image. full stop. nothing essential changes.
Posted by Max Solomon on November 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 3
So if she doesn't believe what she hears in the media, does that mean she won't be reading all the newspapers and magazines any more?
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on November 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM · Report this
Allyn 4
I'm not a great fan of religion in general, and the damage the Catholic church continues to wreak around the world is despicable. No, New Pope is probably not going to dramatically change the catholic church; it's still a dysfunctional and damaging organization.

But this guy? I *like* him. I would take my kids to see him - even just as proof that the religious aren't all bad.
Posted by Allyn on November 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM · Report this
She reminds me of Seattleblues. Though I'm guessing Seattleblue's dress size is larger.
Posted by Machiavelli was framed on November 13, 2013 at 1:47 PM · Report this
Allyn 6
@3 "any more"? Ever?
Posted by Allyn on November 13, 2013 at 1:48 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 7
He's a showman. Words are cheap. We'll see what he does of substance. In the meantime, Sarah Palin is irrelevant.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on November 13, 2013 at 1:51 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 8
@6 - That's what she told Katie Couric back in '08, and I don't know what kind of monster would lie to Katie Couric.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on November 13, 2013 at 1:52 PM · Report this
Allyn 9
@8 oh, right. I had forgotten about that. heh. (I try to ignore Palin's existence most of the time as it is.)

Posted by Allyn on November 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM · Report this
Sir Vic 10
@2 Worse yet, she's a holy-roller, speak-in-tongues, faith-healing kind of Xtian. She's not qualified to talk about the religious meanings in Family Circle.
...unless I really dig deep ...., and do my own homework, I’m not going to just trust what I hear....

Sounds about right for someone who went to 5 schools to get a BA in Communications.
Posted by Sir Vic on November 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM · Report this
In educational terms, Catholicism is med school. Sarah Palin's brand of megachurch is a community college in Boise.
Posted by Pope Buck I on November 13, 2013 at 2:18 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 12
I feel like my ears are going to bleed whenever I hear her talk. I don't even care about her opinion of New Pope (or anything else for that matter). But Palin seems to be completely incapable of stringing a basic sentence together in proper English. Every time she talks, she just spews an endless stream of run-on word salad. How did this woman ever graduate from high school, much less college? Drives me fucking crazy.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on November 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM · Report this
very bad homo 13
This new pope just isn't hateful enough!
Posted by very bad homo on November 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 14
You're a fan of the new pope? The guy hasn't made any changes (nor seems inclined to do so) in church doctrine. Right now it's just pretty words. And the pope hasn't been asked to answer serious questions about his very active role in the Argentinean Dirty War.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on November 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM · Report this
Right now she's starting to wonder if this new Pope is a real American.
Posted by GermanSausage on November 13, 2013 at 2:59 PM · Report this
Original Andrew 16
@ 15, Ha! Awesome.
Posted by Original Andrew on November 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM · Report this
@15: Seriously, hole-in-one.
Posted by MLM on November 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM · Report this
I have an uber-Catholic acquaintance who loves to remind everyone on her facebook feed that the new pope is just as hateful as the last one. Not in those words, of course, but any time a Francis-loving liberal responds to one of her posts on Catholicism, she points out proudly that the church still hates gays and abortion and we need to quit acting like Frank is going to do anything differently when it really comes down to it. Seeing her, the most Catholic of all the Catholics I know, worshiping the new pope is reason enough for me to not feel the least bit swayed by his signs of humanity.
Posted by sloggerette on November 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM · Report this
@14: Ignoring the new fluff book written by the Jesuits, an Argentinean Rabbi is generally complimentary of Bergoglio's personal efforts, and says that he is a harsh critic of his own performance.

Posted by Hanoumatoi on November 13, 2013 at 6:12 PM · Report this
Nelson Bradley 20
Does Sarah Palin sh!t in the woods?
Posted by Nelson Bradley on November 13, 2013 at 7:58 PM · Report this
Palin is fucking astounding. This article snippet reads exactly the way it would have been mockingly written in the Onion.
Posted by BigE on November 14, 2013 at 12:49 AM · Report this
Who makes more $$ from Palin? The left or the right?
Posted by Erok on November 14, 2013 at 3:10 AM · Report this
i can’t believe anyone still gives two craps what granny grifter has to say, left or right. so, the right is dumb enough to pay attention to her, but they would lose interest if the left would just ignore her. is this not obvious?
Posted by ellarosa on November 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM · Report this