and Drunks

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Get Ready for Superheroes All Up in Your Netflix

Posted by on Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM

The news broke this morning. Deadline's David Lieberman and Nellie Andreeva explain it this way:

Disney will provide Netflix with live action series and a miniseries featuring Marvel characters Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage set in the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell’s Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to at least four, 13-episode series over “multiple years,” beginning in 2015, culminating with a miniseries, The Defenders, that “reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.”

On the whole, I'm pretty excited for this. I always figured Daredevil was a character better-suited for a TV series than a movie—he's a character who does best when he's suffering slow punishment, and you just can't get that kind of stretched out agony right in a movie—and the Jessica Jones character is from Brian Michael Bendis's Alias, which is some of his best work for Marvel. Beyond that, I've always thought Luke Cage and Iron Fist were two of Marvel's best characters. I hope that if this works out, after The Defenders, they'll do a series of just Cage and Iron Fist. And purists might complain about the Defenders name being used for these characters, but let's face it: As much as I'd love to see a faithful TV adaptation of Steve Gerber's run on the title, there's no way the comic book version of The Defenders would work on-screen.

Which is not to say that this news doesn't give me a little pause. I like that Marvel is finally adapting properties with a black headlining character and a female headlining character, but it'd be a shame if these characters became the sole examples that Marvel could point to when they were asked about their diversity. The movies are obviously the highest-profile product that Marvel does, and more diversity on movie screens should remain an important goal. Also, I hope these series aren't as cheesy and poorly written as Marvel's disappointing Agents of SHIELD series, which continues to be a total piece of shit TV show. If they manage to retain the spirit and the adventure of the movie adaptations on Netflix, these shows will be huge hits.

Will in Seattle 1
Wait ...

Where are the black women superheroes?
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on November 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM · Report this
How many television shows did Scarecrow Video produce?
Posted by No Excuses on November 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM · Report this
Fuck it, I'm enjoying AoS. Yeah it's got flaws but it's the standard network TV flaws. Obviously it's not going to be HBO quality.
Posted by GermanSausage on November 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 4
They had better do more than that at Netflix.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on November 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM · Report this
Fenrox 5
What is exactly wrong with AoS? Do you not watch TV? It's all like that.

You chose not to get into it, maybe subconsciously, but whatever, you are out. YOU have to decide to go back in to be into it. You do this all the time but probably don't see it for what it is and instead think that the show "hooked" you.

Such malarkey, Do you think the Wire is a terrible show? JAG? The Simpsons? It's all subjective CRAP that you decide to like, love or hate. People who decide to be led around by their subconscious disgust me.
Posted by Fenrox on November 7, 2013 at 1:45 PM · Report this
Fenrox 6
Also you could totally do a Defenders movie in like 3-4 years, you just pull people from the other franchises and have them do an Avenger's movie. So spend the next 4 years building up the cache of peeps that can be pulled. The run you want in movie form is basically that, pulling the obscure from the known and telling the same story.

So Wasp, Beast, Hulk, (One of the Guardians, they all work), Maria Hill and Howard the Duck have to stop Dormammu and they Meet Dr. Strange. The Sequel can do Morgan LaFey
Posted by Fenrox on November 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM · Report this
AoS is no worse than Season 3 of Heroes.
Posted by No Excuses on November 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM · Report this
Doctor Memory 8
"No worse than S3 of Heroes" may be the faintest of all damning faint praise ever.
Posted by Doctor Memory http://blahg.blank.org on November 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM · Report this
thelyamhound 9
I'm still split on AoS. It strikes me more as aggressively "okay" than offensively or unwatchably bad. I'm at least engaged enough to let it ride.

I'd say it's no worse than Season 2 of Heroes, and probably better than Season 3. It's no Misfits, of course, and as this season's genre shows go, it's considerably less fun than Sleepy Hollow or Grimm. Still, for a Tuesday night, I could do worse.
Posted by thelyamhound http://thebayinghound.blogspot.com on November 7, 2013 at 2:57 PM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 10
If AoS lasts longer than a season or two, I believe it could evolve into something good...but some people will need to die...or be radically transformed into something more interesting.

I hope for longer arcs in this season...something that might actually develop the characters they currently have (or add new ones). But it is not what I would call a very compelling series right now.

Maybe in time it will be one of those series you watch on Netflix and suffer through the first season because you know how much better it will get.

Posted by ArtBasketSara on November 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM · Report this