Wednesday, November 6, 2013

After the Plagiarism Scandal, A "Furious" Rand Paul Whines: "Do I Have to Be in Detention for the Rest of My Career?”

Posted by on Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Yesterday, the Washington Times announced that it was suspending Rand Paul's weekly column due to all the allegations of plagiarism that have circled the Kentucky senator.

But Paul's not going to go around acting all repentant about these charges. In fact, he's taking the whiny-baby road, complaining about having to deal with the consequences of his actions to the conservative press:

In an interview with National Review Online on Capitol Hill, Paul was furious, especially with the press coverage of the allegations. “It annoys the hell out of me,” Paul said. “I feel like if I could just go to detention after school for a couple days, then everything would be okay. But do I have to be in detention for the rest of my career?”

I thought libertarians were all about personal responsibility? Anyway, even the severely conservative commenters on National Review's site can't muster much compassion for Paul this time, calling him "unrepentant and arrogant," a "spoiled brat," and "pathetic." If Paul keeps whining about his "unfair" treatment like this, he might actually make the whole thing worse.

(Thanks to Slog tipper Biff.)

dnt trust me 1
That's some first class whining by Rand Paul, but he still has a long way to go to catch up with the whining of Philadelphia's own champion of whiners, Rabbi Goldie.
Posted by dnt trust me on November 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM · Report this
Posted by Per Bernstein on November 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 3
The core of the teabagger/libertarian movement is a powerful sense of victimhood. These guys think they've been taken advantage of and used by an ungrateful society of takers. They think they're America's special chosen victims.

So, no, this won't but fire up his base. If you mean it won't help with his chances for broad appeal, why yes. But he never had any chances for broad appeal. That's not what he's here for.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on November 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 4
If he means the rest of his career is the couple of weeks it would take a story like this to blow over, I'm okay with that.

So an agreement has been reached: Rand Paul's career ends ASAP, and we stop talking about him.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on November 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM · Report this
treacle 5
#1: His girlfriend gave up her toe for zis!
#2: We were zupposed to get a meelion dollahrs!
#1: Ees not fair!

Rand Paul is clearly a Nihilist, not Libertarian.
Posted by treacle on November 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM · Report this

Same as Joe Biden.

Answer: yes.

You don't do something like that to people and expect to get away with it.

No without punishment.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on November 6, 2013 at 1:04 PM · Report this
@1 Troll, your racism is charming.
Posted by I Got Nuthin' on November 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM · Report this
I dunno about the average consequences in high schools, but colleges take plagiarism very, very seriously and it can result in suspension, expulsion, or having one's diploma revoked after the fact. That's just a BIT more serious than a couple of days of detention.
Posted by JenV on November 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM · Report this
Elvis 9
Adorable.
Posted by Elvis on November 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 10
If you want public office, expect to answer to the public that pays you your fucking wages fucking dipshit.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on November 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM · Report this
Geocrackr 11
Notice the dog-whistle character of this whine: "Teacher's trying to make me stay after school!" That hits both the anti-intellectualism and the anti-teachers/union wingnut G-spots, not to mention that I'm sure a good percentage of his base were frequent attendees of their school's detention rooms and still bristle at the "unfairness" of it.
Posted by Geocrackr on November 6, 2013 at 1:40 PM · Report this
It's too bad they cancelled the column, because he was working his way through Erma Bombeck's stuff from 1978 and it was getting a GREAT reaction.

Fox News said: "His wacky tales about being a suburban housewife in the recession show that he's in touch with everyday Americans!"
Posted by Pope Buck I on November 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM · Report this
I wouldn't mind seeing him in permanent detention. The less access he has to decision-making, the better.
Posted by Calpete on November 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM · Report this
rob! 14
It's somewhat common for PhDs in the biomedical sciences to snarkily refer to themselves as the "REAL doctors" in comparison with MDs like Rand Paul, in the sense that, while medical education is long and difficult, clinicians are more or less force-fed their knowledge whereas PhDs have to build their own intellectual foundations under the guidance (or flagellation, or neglect) of their major professors.

The currency of the research world is peer-reviewed publications and successful grant applications, and in that arena you MUST acknowledge at every turn the work of others on which you build through your literature review and references cited, because your competitors are the ones who review your grant proposals and pre-publication manuscripts.

It's a bit of cat-and-mouse because you want to maintain a steady rate of publications while not revealing prematurely your best and most far-reaching (and potentially most lucrative) ideas. There are ways to diss and/or ignore people for strategic advantage or revenge, but that can come back to bite you, so it's not generally done.

In short, Rand Paul's sojourn in academia somehow left him without even a smidgen of intellectual rigor or honesty to carry over into politics.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on November 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM · Report this
kk in seattle 15
But did you read the commenters on the Washington Times post?

1. But BIDEN! The media gave him a pass in 2008! (Actually, over 100 mentions in the New York Times in 2008.)

2. BIDEN plagiarized PERSONALLY! This was Paul's STAFF.

3. BIDEN!

So much for any criticism of the cheating cheat who just got fired for cheating.
Posted by kk in seattle on November 6, 2013 at 1:57 PM · Report this
Not fair that Rand Paul be called on his stealing the words of others for his own propaganda in the Moonie Times. Sob!
Posted by anon1256 on November 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM · Report this
Biden was railroaded. His stump speech had a quote - properly attributed - from Irish politician Neil Kinnock. And just ONCE, speaking off the cuff, he made the same quote and didn't attribute it as usual.

The media had a field day with it. They piled on with almost as much glee as they showed destroying Al Gore some years later.
Posted by Pope Buck I on November 6, 2013 at 2:24 PM · Report this
@18 In what sense is Neil Kinnock Irish?
Posted by minderbender on November 6, 2013 at 2:39 PM · Report this
#1, By "Goldie" I presume you meant Goldy? Five letters is stretching the limits of your spelling skills? And where did he attend Yeshiva? On what grounds are you outing him as a Rabbi?
Posted by Azzam on November 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM · Report this
What, is/was he British? I don't know why I was under the impression he was Irish.
Posted by Pope Buck I on November 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM · Report this
Welsh.
Posted by minderbender on November 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 23
@20
good questions.
1 no, i meant Goldie. he has told us a couple of times that close friends and family called him Goldie, the way you spell it, at an early age. I'm neither a friend or family member, so I call him Goldie.
2. Five letters stretching spelling skills? No.
3. I don't know where he attended Yeshiva, I don't even know that is.
4. Is that what I did? I outed him? Oh gosh, I never meant to out him. There are no grounds, but thanks for the reminder, there are no grounds in my Maxwell House container either. Off to the store.

Next time we play this Q&A game, let's do it like Jeopardy TV game show. Answers first, then respond in the form of a question, just to have a little more fun with it.
Posted by dnt trust me on November 6, 2013 at 3:05 PM · Report this
Damn right Rand! Fight the power. How dare the liberal media keep hacking away at this invented issue? Why can't they just drop it? This is a non-issue! They have talked about it too much already.

By the way, how are those Benghazi hearings going?
Posted by Root on November 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM · Report this
dlauri 25
What makes Rand Paul's whining worse is that he keeps saying the material his staff gave him wasn't properly footnoted. That shows he doesn't understand plagiarism. It's not just giving credit to the source but also not using someone else's words without putting them in quotation marks or paraphrasing them. Paul should have learned this in college, if not high school.
Posted by dlauri http://www.davidlauri.com on November 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM · Report this
fletc3her 26
Obviously rhetorical (look it up, Rand), but does he not realize that standards for professional conduct are higher for a fucking U.S. Senator than they are for a high school student? Ugh.

I would hope the Senate Ethics Committee would get involved.
Posted by fletc3her on November 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM · Report this
fletc3her 27
@23 Goldy didn't even write this piece.
Posted by fletc3her on November 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 28
@27 really? he didn't even write this piece? Wow, fletch, you are always amazing me at how essential your comments are. Good catch.
Posted by dnt trust me on November 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM · Report this
Mattini 29
I'm shocked a republican has turned being wrong into an opportunity for martyrdom.
Posted by Mattini on November 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM · Report this
stirwise 30
@28: Maybe you should criticize other people's comments after you bother to look up "yeshiva" in wikipedia. Also, once you stop being a creepy anti-semite. Yeesh.
Posted by stirwise on November 6, 2013 at 5:19 PM · Report this
fletc3her 31
@28 You are very welcome. Maybe take a break for a while...
Posted by fletc3her on November 6, 2013 at 5:43 PM · Report this
sirkowski 32
Accountability is so unfair.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on November 6, 2013 at 6:42 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 33
@31

I just may take a break Fletch. But you know I feed off of others' idiocy, and the idiocy seems to be running high on Slog these days. Feeding frenzy so to speak. Fletch, keep up with your intellectualism, very inspiring.
Posted by dnt trust me on November 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM · Report this
Sean Kinney 34
Jesus H. Christ Paul, read Althusser. Are you honestly upset about this?
Posted by Sean Kinney http:// on November 7, 2013 at 1:37 AM · Report this