Monday, October 28, 2013

Yeah, I Can Get Pretty Fired Up About Seattle Politics

Posted by on Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM

But I can't get fired up about this.

Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 1

Next time take a bike like McGinn.

McGinn makes more sense for Seattle!

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on October 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 2
You're naive if you think this stops with Murray's U-PASS. This thing is bigger than you can imagine. Wake up, sheeple!
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on October 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 3
I'm a size queen #2 I can imagine BIG!
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on October 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM · Report this
DOUG. 4
Whether it's $60 or $60,000, this "don't you know who I am" attitude reflects poorly on Murray's character. If elected, he truly will be the worst mayor Seattle has seen in decades.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on October 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 5
@ 4, worse than Paul Schell? That's a pretty high bar.
Posted by Matt from Denver on October 28, 2013 at 6:15 PM · Report this
disintegrator 6
Sure does make him sound like an entitled bag of dicks, though, doesn't it?

"I don't remember that!! I'm not paying for it! And if it did happen, it definitely would've happened while I was acting in my role as a Very Big Deal!"

Can I use that one next time I forget to pay a toll for driving over the 520 bridge?
Posted by disintegrator on October 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 7
No comment ...
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM · Report this
Face it. If he were a Republican, you'd be slamming him for being an arrogant, entitled one percenter over this.
Posted by David from Chicago on October 28, 2013 at 6:40 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 9
I'm confused. How do you even get on the UW campus (in a car) without paying for parking first?
Posted by keshmeshi on October 28, 2013 at 6:46 PM · Report this
auntie jim 10
He lives on the hill, why drive to UW at all? Parking is horrid, I hardly ever go to the Udist or even downtown any more. 30+years ago I used to walk down the hill and take the bus up when I lived there. (Now I can hardly get back up hill from my mailbox, less than 200 yards, due to breathing troubles.) Should be able to expense car fare if needed.
Posted by auntie jim http://www.gaysnohomish.org on October 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM · Report this
trstr 11
You can't get fired up about a politician using his station to bully plebs just doing their job? Going above their heads to get a write-off on a fucking cheap parking ticket? Seriously?
Posted by trstr on October 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM · Report this
This makes Murray my fucking hero.
Posted by Lovely Rita Meter maid on October 28, 2013 at 7:03 PM · Report this
DOUG. 13
@5: Yes.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on October 28, 2013 at 7:15 PM · Report this
I've been getting such a bad feeling about Murray throughout the campaign. Everything is ominous, especially the supposed unstoppable momentum. If Seattleites dump a mayor who's done a fairly good job for someone who's mum on specifics, lies through his teeth, is flushed with outside corporate cash (including pro-coal train cash), and throws an egotistical fit over a parking ticket, then they deserve what they get.
Posted by floater on October 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM · Report this
seatackled 15
Cool that the Times would publish that story.
Posted by seatackled on October 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM · Report this
emor 16
He should have paid the goddamn ticket. I like Murray less now.
Posted by emor on October 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM · Report this
@5: I know Schell is derided as a tool of the developer class, but on public health/safety (especially his support for harm reduction and drug policy reform) he was actually not bad. Far better than Nickels (who seemed to have been ruled by Tim Ceis...one of Murray's key advisers).
Posted by gnossos on October 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM · Report this
For those of us who can't get through the Times paywall, just what did Murray say?
Posted by sarah70 on October 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM · Report this
Rujax! 19
Fuck Murray.

Vote for McGinn!
Posted by Rujax! http://rujax.blogspot.com/ on October 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM · Report this
@14 ominous is the word. I'd like to hope I'm wrong, but the more I learn about Murray, his handlers, and his monetary supporters the less confident I am that his will be a typical Seattle Dem administration. What exactly did the big boys want that they weren't getting from McGinn? Since Murray continues to not explain what the point of his running is, I'm left looking elsewhere for the driving force.
Posted by cracked on October 28, 2013 at 10:11 PM · Report this
@20, the big boys don't like McGinn because he actually thinks, and he says what he thinks. Murray, as is evident by now, doesn't.
Posted by sarah70 on October 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM · Report this
@11 & @14 A++++
Posted by UberAlles on October 28, 2013 at 10:53 PM · Report this
Claypatch 23
Christ, watta tool.
Posted by Claypatch on October 28, 2013 at 11:14 PM · Report this
UW Parking Services is a solution looking for a problem. Discouraging peak time commuting is a reasonable goal but there isn't a reason to have a parking borg to the degree that exists on campus. If I was in a position to lord my power over them I'd certainly happily take advantage of the situation.
Posted by restlessnative on October 28, 2013 at 11:24 PM · Report this
@1:

He sure does! McGinn is a 1%er, anti-civil liberties, faux green, over developing, anti-minority (well, blacks and natives at least), anti-poor, fake liberal in Rich O Neills pocket.

Sounds like Seattle to me!
Posted by araucania on October 28, 2013 at 11:25 PM · Report this
@25: which is why Rich O'Neill (spog president) and SPOG endorsed Murray? And why the Minority Executive Directors Coalition and every relevant group representing poor people and people of color have endorsed McGinn? Care to try again?
Everything you say is exactly opposite of reality.
Posted by gnossos on October 28, 2013 at 11:50 PM · Report this
Kinison 27
$60? OMG the horror!! I'll be sure to vote for McGinn, who cares if he allowed the SPD to further be a cesspool of abuse. He's clearly he right man for the job as he doesn't try to weasel out of small parking tickets.
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on October 29, 2013 at 5:03 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 28
@27, You win Slog!!!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on October 29, 2013 at 5:34 AM · Report this
@9 only some lots at the UW are gated (such as montlake). Sometimes they will post people to take your $ at ungated lots (such as near Hec Ed during basketball games). But most of the time you can drive onto the main campus without paying - stopping at the booths is optional.
Posted by Greg Barnes on October 29, 2013 at 7:17 AM · Report this
Kinison 30

Oh and since were using Seattle Times to shame politicians.
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on October 29, 2013 at 7:33 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 31
@30: Nobody gives a fuck because we also think the Tunnel is a terrible idea.
Posted by undead ayn rand on October 29, 2013 at 7:52 AM · Report this
Kinison 32
@31 and anyone voting for Murray certainly doesn't give a rip about a $60 parking ticket in the U-Dist when Murray is A) UW Alumni, B) Worked hard in securing things for the UW.

Terrible idea, but the alternatives were already voted down years ago in a special election, which left anti-tunnel people with NO ALTERNATIVES (aside from ideas written down on a napkin).
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on October 29, 2013 at 8:50 AM · Report this
What you meant to say in your headline, Dominic, was: "I can't quickly get the records that show this happened and write my own story, so I'm going to pretend it isn't interesting because I don't give the Times any credit."
Posted by pkbrown on October 29, 2013 at 11:39 AM · Report this
Confluence 34
Small-minded, provincial idiots. All of you. You think anyone cares about your tiny, forgotten whitopia corner of the nation that's out of touch with reality? We laugh at you bubbleheads with your doobies in hand and exasperation at people who *gasp* dare to jaywalk. And you actually label your giant suburb 'a city' and think of yourselves as cultured, too. Cute! No one takes you seriously though, sorry. Keep on tryin, Fraziers...
Posted by Confluence on October 29, 2013 at 11:46 AM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 35
@34 - Your opinion is irrelevant.
Posted by Pridge Wessea on October 29, 2013 at 12:35 PM · Report this
McGinn is the Stranger's next Cogswell:

Loser.

Posted by hmmmmm on October 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM · Report this
@27

Your my hero!
Posted by araucania on October 29, 2013 at 4:46 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 38
@34: And yet your loser part of the country has nothing better to do but read our shitty provincial ongoings. Condolences!
Posted by undead ayn rand on October 29, 2013 at 8:05 PM · Report this