Friday, October 25, 2013

Mayor Bloomberg Gives the Met the Right to Start Making Admission Mandatory

Posted by on Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 2:19 PM

What a crap announcement: Bloomberg intervened to change the terms of the lease for New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art so that now, the museum can charge people however much it wants to for admission. No "suggested donation" option is legally necessary anymore.

Seattle Art Museum and the Henry Art Gallery still have suggested-donation options (except for big special shows at SAM), and the Frye Art Museum is still, always and continuously, free as a bird.

pg13 1
"Making Admission Mandatory"?

As in "EVERYONE MUST GO TO THE MET"?

That's pro-art to the extreme.
Posted by pg13 on October 25, 2013 at 2:50 PM · Report this
I love the Met but I've always felt that its extensive Egyptology wing does a poor job of drawing the history of ancient egypt, its just whatever random stuff they happened to get over the British Museum rather than a coherent timeline.
Posted by velour on October 25, 2013 at 3:14 PM · Report this
Reason # 4,389,534 and 1/2 that Bloomberg is a total fucking douchebag....
Posted by Mr. X on October 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM · Report this
I was just there in May. Getting in was already somewhat a shitshow. There were long lines for tickets you didn't actually have to purchase and security guards at the entrance asking to see said tickets that weren't necessary. It seemed like lots of tourists buying tickets with locals just walking by security who of course couldn't stop them.
Posted by decidedlyodd on October 25, 2013 at 3:53 PM · Report this
Well they did make everything there so it makes sense that they should make some money off of it all.
Posted by Jude Fawley on October 25, 2013 at 4:08 PM · Report this
fletc3her 6
I think the Louvre has found a nice middle ground. They charge for admission, but allow children under 18 and young adults under 25 from Europe in free. Teachers, disabled people, the unemployed, and artists can also get in free. And then they have a free day every month.

I've never minded paying for the Met as a tourist, but at $25 for adults, $17 for seniors, $12 for kids, and free under 12 it certainly is among the most expensive museum tickets. They do provide free entrance for New York school children and some college students.
Posted by fletc3her on October 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM · Report this
there is also discount for college students. Running a museum of the Met's scope is not a low cost enterprise. Art is not an entitlement, it is work- that's why they call it art-work, and work should be paid. Curators should be paid. Anyone who isn't willing to pay $25 dollars (which is less than a movie and popcorn) to view some of the greatest works of art in the world doesn't deserve to. It's the notion that art should be free or an act of giving to the world that promotes the idea that living artists don't deserve to be paid for their work, or that maintaining hundreds of thousands of works of antiquity in one of the largest physical museum buildings in the world is something that doesn't require both expertise and funding. Until you can convince the government to fully subsidize the Met and its collection, the people who want to enjoy it and utilize and can justify art as vital to this world shouldn't balk when they're asked to pay for it.
Posted by stilettov on October 25, 2013 at 6:27 PM · Report this
A basic membership to the Met doesn't cost that much... I've had one for years even though I'm pretty poor. It's probably a hopelessly outdated attitude, but I go up there to draw or just to look pretty frequently and I like the feeling that I'm doing my part for one of my home institutions in the city.

There are countless worse ways I could spend my money.
Posted by tim b on October 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM · Report this
@7, have you not noticed their endowment? their fundraising? Their board? Really, some days after school, I'd drop in a quarter to go visit, some days a dollar. But I went. A lot. I never would have done that at full price.

They have net assets of over $3,000,000,000 (that's three BILLION) and that money mostly doesn't go to living artists. Leave it friggin' optional so that people who can't afford it can go whenever they feel like it and stop acting like the Met is some fabulous supporter of contemporary artists. It's a gem, a jewel and was my refuge as a child, but suffering from financial scurvy it ain't.

Posted by jt on October 25, 2013 at 8:35 PM · Report this
delirian 10
@9: Yes, but how else are you going to keep out the poors? Mayor "school overcrowding just means school is popular" and "the lack of affordable housing is a good sign" doesn't want to rub shoulders with the common folk.
Posted by delirian on October 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM · Report this
sirkowski 11
Wasn't the MET created by the robber barons for good publicity? (too lazy to Google) I guess Wall Street doesn't give a shit anymore.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on October 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM · Report this
@10, I'm guessing that by now the Upper East Side is a gated community anyway.
Posted by jt on October 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM · Report this
So in other words, the MET can operate like a business (a la the Louvre?)
Posted by Joel_are on October 26, 2013 at 10:20 AM · Report this