Monday, October 21, 2013

Supermarket Strike Averted as Unions and National Chains Reach Tentative Contract Agreement

Posted by on Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 5:32 PM

From the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) Local 21 Facebook page:

We are very pleased to announce that today at 5 PM the union member bargaining team from UFCW 21 & 367 and Teamsters 38 reached a tentative agreement with the national grocery chains in contract negotiations. This tentative agreement has been unanimously recommended by the union member bargaining team. Details will not to be released until after union members themselves have had the opportunity to review the tentative agreement and vote on it. The times and locations of those vote meetings will be announced in the coming days after arrangements have been made to schedule the votes.

Of course it took the threat of an imminent strike (7 p.m. tonight!) to force an agreement. Ah well, human nature. In any case, good news for the grocery workers and their families. And good news for consumers who can now continue to shop guilt-free at unionized Safeway, QFC, Fred Meyer, Albertson's stores throughout the Puget Sound region.

Shop guilt free. But don't use the damn automated check-out aisles. They're a miserable experience and bad for labor.
Posted by captdrastic on October 21, 2013 at 5:54 PM · Report this
@1 I can see your 2nd point but not your first. Its so convenient to use and go much faster. But they need an age limit on them older people seemed confused by them.
Posted by Seattle14 on October 21, 2013 at 6:00 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 3
@2: Oh really?
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on October 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 4
Confused by them?

Not really but we don't trust them, just like we don't trust the privacy-destroying NSA or FB
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 21, 2013 at 6:08 PM · Report this
@ 3 I meant that in jest, you can't do that legally. But it does seem people who are older seem to take a lot longer at them.
Posted by Seattle14 on October 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 6
@5: No problem. I find them more of an annoyance anyway and go to a cashier.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on October 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM · Report this
I'm 30, and my problem with the self-check outs is that they are too damned slow and finicky when I use them. I used to work at Trader Joe's, so I want to be moving about 5 times as fast as they'll let me. They're also insanely difficult to deal with when bringing your own bags.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on October 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM · Report this
originalcinner 8
I'd ban old people, people who feed change in, ten cents at a time, for a $40 grocery bill, and people who let their small children do the whole checkout. *That* takes a hundred times longer than when old people do it.
Posted by originalcinner on October 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM · Report this
emor 9
@2
What are you talking about? They're slow and clunky as shit. They're designed to be slow, as anyone who has used a real register could tell you.
Posted by emor on October 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 10
#2 is right, any one older than 21 should be barred from using anything electronic as "Older" people are too slow. "Older" people (those over 21) are yucky.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on October 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM · Report this
@9: *virtual fistbump*
Posted by Hanoumatoi on October 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM · Report this
TomJohnsonJr 12
I hope using the self checkout at a union store is as close as I ever get to experiencing what a scab must feel like.
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on October 21, 2013 at 7:07 PM · Report this
rtm 13
I'm still gonna shop at Central Co-op and PCC, but I'm glad the strike is over.
Posted by rtm on October 21, 2013 at 7:14 PM · Report this
Fnarf 14
I use the automatic checkout not to avoid the checkers but to avoid the sad specimens of humanity I invariably get stuck behind -- the ones with 50 expired coupons, the ones who want to argue that the special price on Super Clean should be honored for Ultra Clean as well, the ones with 33 items in the express lane, the ones who need to dash back out for "one more item", the ones who want a refund on the thing they already ate 3/4 of, the ones who want to chat for ten minutes, the ones who need to know if these have weeblax brinkles in them.

Automatic scanners are fast if you know how to use them. Just don't try to take booze through them.

I heard a funny story the other day about a guy in England who got busted because he had been buying all of his groceries with the weight code for "bulk potatoes" for a year. 17p a pound....
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 21, 2013 at 7:36 PM · Report this
@ 9 I'm just saying I've used it for a few years now, it seems to move faster.
Posted by Seattle14 on October 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM · Report this
Dr. Z 17
I loathe automated checkout machines. But then, I'm a neo-Luddite and proud of it (but, unfortunately, has been in high tech for almost 30 years - most recently in healthcare IT.)
Posted by Dr. Z on October 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM · Report this
@ 10 I was thinking over 40 =)
Posted by Seattle14 on October 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 19
Happy a strike has been averted. The only thing I hate about automated check-out is when I get that "attendant has been notified to assist you" message for no apparent reason, and I have to wait for an employee to reset the machine. I never understand why that happens.
Posted by Gern Blanston on October 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM · Report this
Does this mean they'll be making a living wage and McGinn won't oppose anything they try to do via "community benefit" notions ?
Posted by ChefJoe on October 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM · Report this
I am an old person and cannot stand self-checkout, but I'd never get in your way because after one or two tries, I never used them again.
Ditto for self-pump-gas, but that's hardly ever an option.
Ditto for self-serve buffet "restaurants" (especially if they have "tip jars")
I long for the old days when one was waited on properly.
Posted by crone on October 21, 2013 at 10:22 PM · Report this
Oh give it up Seattle 14, we got what you meant and it was not funny.
Posted by sarah70 on October 21, 2013 at 10:41 PM · Report this

Just in time..finished project...potato chips...mmm....QFC open all night...yum...
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on October 21, 2013 at 10:42 PM · Report this
Rujax! 25
@24...

And you really care, "asshole who hates unions and would cross any picket line"
Posted by Rujax! http://rujax.blogspot.com/ on October 21, 2013 at 10:46 PM · Report this
@9: That's basically the only time I've felt comfortable using them; back in college when I had to pay for my microwave burritos with spare change at 3:30 am, after my shift at the factory ended. I wouldn't hold anyone else up, and the machine wouldn't get justifiably annoyed at having some jerkoff pay with nickels.
Posted by Ben on October 21, 2013 at 11:37 PM · Report this
@ 23 Why so grumpy?
Posted by Seattle14 on October 21, 2013 at 11:50 PM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 28
I have no problem with the self checkouts. Once I got familiarized with them, it became a great way of getting out of the store faster. I get my movie tickets using online or in theater automated services. I don't use a stand alone calculator or dedicated music player. I don't buy CDs. For everyday photography, I use my phone, not a separate camera. I have no home phone. Ready or not, technology is coming. You can go with it, or stay behind wishing it was the 1990s again.
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on October 22, 2013 at 5:35 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 29
Once you understand how the self checkout machines operate, they are very fast and easy to use. If it moves too slow for you or is always stopping you to get an attendant to come over, you are using it incorrectly.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on October 22, 2013 at 5:46 AM · Report this
Sir Vic 30
I went to the Mill Creek QFC yesterday at noon, hoping to stock up while it was still acceptable to do so. The place was busier than I've ever seen it, and it seemed like the entire store's staff was there. Generally, I can't find more than 3 staffers in the store, but there were at least 2 dozen roaming about. The tension in the air was palpable. Glad to hear things were worked out. Folks are on edge enough these days.
Posted by Sir Vic on October 22, 2013 at 6:13 AM · Report this
#25

At any time you may add the link supporting the quote you attribute to me.

Or, in 24 hours, I will send your post the editors of SLOG as an example of a posting violation.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on October 22, 2013 at 7:39 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 32
When I go to the QFC (as I said, we are Red Apple people) I always use the self-checkout, although it can be vexing. Just yesterday I popped into QFC to get a few things, and - horrors - didn't have a bag. When I purchased a bag and put it in the bagging area, the machine had a total meltdown and summoned an attendant.

I'm glad the strike was averted.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on October 22, 2013 at 7:40 AM · Report this
#25

Oh, heck...why should I wait for you to wake up, get your coffee.

I just reported you right now!

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on October 22, 2013 at 7:41 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 34
John Bailo is the dumbest motherfucker on the planet.

Feel free to report me immediately you big baby. I love it when old white dudes complain about being persecuted. It's really adorable.

Posted by Theodore Gorath on October 22, 2013 at 8:01 AM · Report this
I nearly always find the self checkout to be quicker than an attended line, as long as the self checkout is vacant when I approach it. I rarely see an attended check stand where there is not a line. If I have to wait on people, then it becomes a tossup, since I always seem to get behind someone who wants to fondle each item after scanning and before bagging. That upsets the self check, because you only get a limited time for the scale to see the weight of the item after scanning. For some reason, these people can never figure this out.
Posted by WestSeven on October 22, 2013 at 8:23 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 36
@ 19 +1.

@ 28, in the 90s "I don't buy vinyl" was the epithet, along with "you just wish it was the 70s." And if you're a poor photographer, it's best not to have a separate camera - it's like soccer mom having a Maserati.
Posted by Matt from Denver on October 22, 2013 at 8:31 AM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 37
And that self service gas! I remember when you'd pull in and a chipper lad would run to your Oldsmobile with a hearty "What'll it be, Chief? Fill 'er up with high test?" Now they have these computers with their screens and buttons all over the place and nobody to salute you as you motor away. Oregon's authentic artisanal handcrafted gas service is the last remnant of real America.

And get off my lawn.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on October 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM · Report this
Hawke 38
@18 Fuck you. 40 isn't old.
Posted by Hawke http://facebook.com/thehawke on October 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM · Report this
Hernandez 40
I have absolutely no issues with self-checkouts. I just prefer going through a checker line. At some point we'll be able to live most of our lives without actually having to interact with other human beings. I'll enjoy the personal touch while I can.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on October 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM · Report this
I use an automated checkout based on principal - - It makes me feel a little better knowing that I might be making a difference in showing lazy, slow union workers that 1) I don't need them 2) that I refuse to cave to their demands that we OWE them a paycheck just because they're part of a union 3) I hate waiting in a line where idle BS chit chat takes up the same, if not more, time than going through a self-checkout.

Unions SUCK! Do a Google search on "How unions killed Michigan"

For union workers: Do some research on where your union dues go to. (hint: Union bosses' HUGE paychecks and the Democrat party; your ongoing, FORCED dues is NOT an investment. As a matter of fact it's one of the worst reasons your paycheck isn't higher)
Posted by jacktee1234 on December 25, 2013 at 12:04 PM · Report this