and Drunks

Monday, October 7, 2013

City Council Votes to Effectively Ban Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Posted by on Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 3:54 PM

city_council.jpg
  • DH

In a meeting still underway, the Seattle City Council passed a bill that could effectively ban medical marijuana dispensaries within the city limits by requiring the dispensaries to obtain a state medical-marijuana license by 2015—a license that does not exist.

"Requiring medical [marijuana dispensaries] to have a license when the license does not exist is completely unfair," said Alex Cooley, vice president of Solstice, which operates a medical-marijuana growing facility in Sodo.

The council made it clear last week that the city intends to nix medical marijuana dispensaries, in essence, by requiring them to obtain the same licenses and abide by the same regulations as recreational pot stores, which were legalized last fall by Initiative 502. Currently more than 100 medical dispensaries operate in Seattle; the state is expected to license 21 recreational pot stores in the city by next year. As the council wrote in a letter to the governor on September 30, "If relatively easy access to medical cannabis continues, the goals and potential of Initiative 502 will be undermined." After expressing the city's interest in regulating the pot markets, the council went on, "This could mean combining the general adult cannabis market and the medical cannabis market into a single, regulated system."

But, in testimony before the vote, activists argued the council would violate voter intent. The initiative to legalize adult recreational pot last fall was not supposed to reduce patients' access to medical marijuana. But that's what the council is doing. By shunting dispensaries into the same handful of zones as recreational stores, and by requiring stores to have a state license (either a recreational license or a theoretical dispensary license, which, again, does not exist), the council is using recreational pot law as an excuse to gut medical marijuana. As far as patients are concerned, the recreational stores may not carry the strains of cannabis, nor the other products (such as salves, balms, and tinctures), they get at dispensaries. And the city has no legitimate interest in undermining the medical marijuana law approved by voters in 1998 and amended repeatedly by the state legislature.

Longtime medical marijuana industry activist Philip Dawdy told the council, "You are going to be punishing patients if they get shut down."

But bill sponsor Nick Licata insisted it's not the council's "intent" to ban dispensaries completely. He said the legislature could creating a medical marijuana license next year that would allow dispensaries in Seattle to stay open. "We are leaving the door slightly open. There could be a different license from the state," said Licata, who added that his bill was "a little nudge to the state to do something." However, that's entirely speculative. Olympia already failed once, in 2011, to approve dispensary licenses. The legislature is also famously hostile to Seattle interests. And as Ben Livingston reported for The Stranger last week, the state is exploring ways to stymie medical marijuana dispensaries, too. Licata said the city could revisit the issue if the state fails to issue medical marijuana licenses.

The council bill also addresses a panoply of zoning issues—some sensible and some bizarre. For instance, the bill codifies areas where recreational pot stores may open to match state and federal standards. But it also restricts the stores more than state or federal law require. The council voted to ban pot businesses near the sports stadiums and historic districts, including Pioneer Square. Licata claimed his goal was to "not trip the wire that gives federal government rationale for coming in." But when asked what legal issue justified banning stores near the stadiums and Pioneer Square, Licata couldn't name one. He just mewled about "a balance of real needs in communities" (which sounds to me like capitulating to lobbyists for the Mariners and Pioneer Square business groups). As a result, the council will concentrate pot stores in a handful of tiny districts, even fewer districts than shown in this map.

Well, the dispensaries always were a front for recreational use. Now "patients" will just have to be honest about it.
Posted by lol you know im right on October 7, 2013 at 4:13 PM · Report this
You sound like a journalist right up until "mewled". Damn, so close!

You want your legal dope and to basically get away with spitting in the DEA's eye? Then the gray market has to go.
Posted by Westside forever on October 7, 2013 at 4:20 PM · Report this
#1 not so fast. I am a medical marijuana patient and I go to dispensaries. I see all sorts when I'm there, many are obviously ill, others not so obvious but you can never really tell. Someone looking at me wouldn't see any sign of illness, but I use medical marijuana to treat chronic pain in my neck, shoulder, arms and fingers resulting from degenerative disc disease. Salves work great for me, but would a 'recreational' marijuana store carry that kind of product?

I voted for 502 because as a matter of principle I believe marijuana should not be illegal. I voted for it realizing that this might happen - local and or state government shutting down the medical marijuana dispensaries because of the serious financial pressure brought to bear by well-heeled and connected recreational marijuana investors. I am disappointed but not surprised by the city counsel's decision. They are working from the same assumption that you are, that medical marijuana is not a legitimate medicine, that patients 'fake' their conditions in order to be able to use marijuana recreationally. They are wrong on both counts.

Does anyone know whether a lawsuit can be brought against the city, and if so what are the chances of it succeeding?
Posted by screed on October 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM · Report this
Well, I now know what the next initiative passed around Hempfest will be. Medical patients and recreational supporters will not put up with this.

Of course, that is assuming it passes the lawsuits. Currently only the LCB can regulate recreational dispensaries, and there is no law allowing anyone to regulate medical dispensaries.
Posted by The stoners have been waiting for this... on October 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 5
He also wants to smoke indoors
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM · Report this
COMTE 6
Sounds like the big monied interests are afraid that legal pot dispensaries will shunt income away from being able to fleece sportsball attendees with $14 12 oz. beers.

Which is pretty stupid, when you think about it, because, with cannabis readily available on game days, the inevitable increase in sales of cheez-whiz covered nachos, garlic curley fries and chocolate-dipped Rice Krispie treats should more than make up the difference.
Posted by COMTE on October 7, 2013 at 4:41 PM · Report this
Nick Licata has officially lost his marbles.
Posted by Chali2Na on October 7, 2013 at 4:44 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 8
Lets get real for a minute.

I don't have any actual data, but if I had to guess, I'd guess that about 95% of the current medical marijuana "patients" are bogus, and are simply using the MM system as a way to use pot recreationally without getting busted. And until now, I have been totally okay with that. Yes, there are legitimate MM users—cancer patients and the like—but I'd bet a huge majority are not legit. I know lots of people who have MM "prescriptions" and every single one of them are bogus.

So, once the recreational pot stores open, a vast majority of current MM "patients" could and should just get their pot from the recreational pot stores. The city should devise some regulation criteria for keeping a handful of MM stores open (maybe 10) for the handful of people who need pot for legitimate medical reasons. But we will have no need for 100+ MM dispensaries in the city.

I think the city council's current proposal is ham-fisted, and will likely lead to a lawsuit if they shut down ALL MM stores, but I completely approve of the general idea of greatly reducing the number of MM stores after the recreational pot stores open.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on October 7, 2013 at 4:45 PM · Report this
"Let's get real for a minute. I don't have any actual data..."

Check please.
Posted by Get Realer on October 7, 2013 at 4:51 PM · Report this
Fnarf 10
@8, I defy you to watch Dr. Oz's recent program on medical marijuana, featuring the little girl suffering constant extreme seizures, just the most horrific thing in the world to watch, until she is given a special blend of MM that contains almost no THC but copious amounts of another cannabinoid -- a product that would be impossible if it wasn't for Colorado's forward-looking regulatory regimen -- and still keep the "they're mostly faking it" argument in your rhetorical quiver.

The contrast between Colorado's business-friendly, patient-friendly, common-sensical legalization process to our COMPLETELY IDIOTIC council's actions could not be greater. I swear to God, these fools are as bad as the Tea Party in Washington, DC. Small-brained, petty-minded micromanaging bluenosed old Church Ladies, every last one of them.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM · Report this
I smell billable hours!!!

Here's an idea, Seattle sets up MM as a city established NGO similar to what Canada just announced? You know, like an actual nonprofit that the dispensaries claim on their taxes? Truly ill patients would have to agree to enter a study, for much less expensive MM etc.
Posted by Large Hardon Colluder on October 7, 2013 at 5:04 PM · Report this
I absolutely believe that MMJ needs to continue as an accessible healthcare option to those truly in need. I also absolutely believe that the current MMJ system is flawed and dirty and those fighting against reform have too much money invested/involved to be the white knight "patient advocates" they claim to be: they're just worried about their customer base leaving. It wouldn't be difficult to require a MMJ authorization to require a second opinion, be entered into medical charts, etc. that would assure the program is restricted to those who have a true medical need for it. This group could still be allowed to home grow, have different possession restrictions, etc. Everyone else, including those recreational users who abuse the MMJ system today (because really, "patients" needing dispensaries that have "free preroll fridays" and give out "free medicine" on the first visits or for "patient referrals" are a complete.fucking.joke.), can go to the recreational market as intended by 502. As it stands, the MMJ market has no credibility and is just trying to extend their regulatory/tax dodge as long as possible, which is a shame and ultimately counterproductive for full removal of prohibition.
Posted by Juris on October 7, 2013 at 5:12 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 13
@10, I don't think we should eliminate ALL MM stores. I agree that there really are legitimate MM users. Dr. Oz's video and @3's story are great examples. But I still think a vast majority of current MM patients are bogus.

I only say this because of my own anecdotal experience. I know quite a few people who currently get pot at MM stores, who have told me straight up it's bogus. It is child's play to find a doc to give you a pot prescription for stress or some bullshit.

I'd love to see an actual study produce some hard data to show how many current users are legit MM patients and how many just use it as an excuse to get pot for recreational use.

There ARE legitimate medical users. But the real legit medical users can probably be served by fraction of the MM stores currently open once the stoners can buy their recreational pot elsewhere.

I honestly have not been paying much attention to Colorado's system. I concede that it may indeed be better than what we're doing. I'll have to look into it.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on October 7, 2013 at 5:12 PM · Report this
@8: "Let's get real for a minute. I don't have any actual data."

That was the useful part of your post. I read the rest of it, but until you show me data on how many patients are bogus, I'm going to remain skeptical.
Posted by Hanoumatoi on October 7, 2013 at 5:13 PM · Report this
Of the people I know who get MM, 100% are legit medical patients. My anecdote cancels out yours.
Posted by pox on October 7, 2013 at 5:30 PM · Report this
theophrastus 16
Herr Fnarf: I swear to God, these fools are as bad as the Tea Party in Washington
so Sally Bagshaw is Michele Bachmann and Nick Licata is Ted Cruz? ...yeah - i'll have some of what ol'Fnarf is having to smoke.
Posted by theophrastus on October 7, 2013 at 5:40 PM · Report this
oh Dom, we are so sorry....

you pathetic little turd.
Posted by hold your nose. we are flushing the crapper..... on October 7, 2013 at 5:43 PM · Report this
The simple fact is that cannabis does help with stress and the symptoms attached to it like anxiety, depression, etc. So, virtually anyone who has been given an authorization to use medical marijuana is using the substance legitimately.

A big problem with some of the proposed suggestions here is that no legitimate doctor is willing to risk their career and give an authorization, no matter how much they know it works. They are completely at the behest of the FDA. That's why you can only get them from naturopaths and nurse assistants. Any naturopath with half a brain and a heart knows that this will help everyone that walks into their office. There is no reason for them to deny authorization, and that's the way it should be.

The bottom line is that no one should have the right to tell me how I can and cannot treat my condition, doctor, cop, councilman, whatever.
Posted by Frank Nittany on October 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM · Report this
If there is a conflict between the success of a Medical state program Vs a Recreational state program... Why is the assumption of the Seattle City Council that the recreational program AUTOMATICALLY win the priority? Oh, it's the bigger, more profitable program for the state. However, I think most other states would value their medical health over their economic advantage. I would like to see the logical argument to the contrary.

The medical program works very well without many arrests for illegal activity. Why should we allow them to be harassed by being forced to relocate across the city away from their patients and homes? Is there any guarantee that new recreational growers and processors will be able to replace the exact medicine for patients that is working right now?!? Patients have sifted through many thousands of products and hundreds of providers to find what works for them over the last 10 years, and an interruption of service to those chronically ill patients with seizures, cancer, etc. are not to be disrespected. These programs must be able to co-exist, and the elimination of medical rights is the simplest, and wrong answer.

Regarding: 'As the council wrote in a letter to the governor on September 30, "If relatively easy access to medical cannabis continues, the goals and potential of Initiative 502 will be undermined.'
Posted by Shamantiks on October 7, 2013 at 6:19 PM · Report this

Posted by Shamantiks on October 7, 2013 at 6:25 PM · Report this
The government doesn't like competition, here come the I told you so moments
Posted by miggy420 on October 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM · Report this
Here come the I told you so moments, the government doesn't like competition.
Posted by miggy420 on October 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM · Report this
Dominic's post failed to mention an important finanical aspect of the council's decision that affects the poor of our fair city. Many MMJ patients are disabled (sometimes invisibly so) and live on Social Security Disability Insurance. These folks just lost their access to affordable medication because the council wants to level the playing field. When you're in chronic or intractable pain, there IS no level playing field. I'm with Fnarf. The council's got it wrong, again, and Sally Clark's proved herself a disappointment, again and again.
Posted by gracey on October 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM · Report this
@18: you are wrong. That may be your experience but definitely not what I have seen or experienced r.e. doctors. If you have legitimate need and your docs says no you are seeing the wrong doctor. Unfortunately most people cannot afford the time or money to get a second opinion but that is another story.
Posted by drawn on October 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 25
And then meanwhile the WSLCB is setting an extremely low maximum amount of recreational pot that will be legal to produce and sell in this state. I wish we knew how to quit you, black market.
Posted by keshmeshi on October 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 26
@6 is correct.

FREMONT for the Economic Win!

(going to be fun watching the hipsters trekking over here)
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 7, 2013 at 7:37 PM · Report this
meanie 27
I love the mentality of our city council here

"now that its legal, we can make it go away to save the kids and the sports"

I would hope with an election coming, and the *stellar* performances of congress of late that local politicians would realize when people go to the polls next they will be angry, and have very little patience for the grandstanding idiocy of moves like this.
Posted by meanie http://www.spicealley.net on October 7, 2013 at 7:49 PM · Report this
John Scott Tynes 28
The Feds have been very clear that they'll let the legal pot stores happen under very strict guidelines. They didn't say "and MM stores can do anything they damn well please."

The city is just trying to align both store types under the one clear umbrella the feds are holding out. It's not a goddamn conspiracy.

Except for the stadium thing. That's bullshit.
Posted by John Scott Tynes http://www.johntynes.com/ on October 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM · Report this
Is Mike waiting for a rebuttal from Ed's kid? Did he really just jump the shark in a nuked fridge?
Posted by Zander on October 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM · Report this
420leaks 30
Subject: RE: Seeds, etc
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 16:54:45 -0700
From: Mike.Steenhout@liq.wa.gov
To: changingplanet@hotmail.com
CC: rules@LIQ.WA.GOV; RLS@liq.wa.gov

John,

Yes, if a super high CBD strain tests out at less than 0.3% of THC, it wouldn’t be allowed on the recreational side based on the language in the initiative. They will have to stay on the medical side, unless the Legislature changed that restriction.

From: John Novak [mailto:changingplanet@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:42 PM
To: Steenhout, Michael L
Subject: RE: Seeds, etc

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response. I appreciate your patience with me...

Are you saying that producers will not be able to grow or sell cannabis strains that have 0.3% or less to other producers, processors and retailers? There are medical strains that have low THC, high CBD that I would want to grow. I know there are other producers out there who have stated they are interested in growing these with an I-502 license. Will this be an option for the new industry? Or does the lack of THC disqualify the product for sale since only usable marijuana can be sold in stores?
Posted by 420leaks http://420leaks.org/ on October 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM · Report this
I can't imagine what Nick is thinking. Olympia doesn't pay attention to Seattle "nudges". Or rather, they deliberately do the opposite.
Posted by sarah70 on October 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM · Report this
The Seattle City Council met behind closed doors with Senator Kohl-Welles, Rep. Goodman, apparently Alison Holcomb, and various other state representatives from the LCB....and others whose identities we intend to uncover.

They, at some point, decided, behind closed doors (the way all the above prefer to do their dirty business, and then all sign a letter to Governor Inslee condemning medical marijuana and asking him to regulate us of existence.

Within an hour of their decision to rid the city of all of these "dangerous" patients and those that provide them with their medication, we filed a lawsuit in King County Superior Court charging them with violating the state's Open Public Meeting Act.

This same city council that appears so intent on making us follow some law that as yet doesn't exist, is more than happy to violate a state law that very clearly does exist, in order to operate in secret without public testimony.

I told them in my testimony today that those of use who depend on medical cannabis as medicine will no longer put up with their illegal activity and that we will make it a point to remove them from office and replace them with people who will respect the will of those that put them in office.

Today's city council meeting was sham. Limiting testimony to only 15 minutes total on an issue so critical to so many thousands of voters was disgraceful and self-serving.

It's clear that these city council members do not respect the will of the voters of Seattle and need to be replaced. We can start with those that are up for election on November 5th.

Steve Sarich
Executive Director
Cannabis Action Coalition
Posted by CannaCare on October 7, 2013 at 9:38 PM · Report this
MrBaker 33
@1, fuck you. Neuropathy, look it up, it's a common side effect of oxaliplatin, look it up. That's a choice between life or death.
When your feet tingle as if they were "a sleep", act as if they were too cold, but feel hot to the touch, coupled with occasional pain shooting up from the tips of your toes, like being poked with the thumbtack, you too will choose the most effective method for mitigating that occasional shooting pain.
The mitigating choice is a curious one.
You could take oxycodone, or you could smoke a little weed that has a greater ratio of CBD's to THC (that would commonly in indica/hybrids, that just doesn't get you very high, but absolutely does shut off that sizzling/shooting pain).
Look at the side effects of oxycodone and that of fairly mild weed like Harliquin.
When I'm done with chemo, one way or another, the side effects will not completely go away. They will mostly go away, the numbing of the toes that aren't occasionally on fire is nerve damage, look it up.
I could be mitigating the damage done, assuming I'm not dead, for many years.
Oxycodone for several years, or a little weed.
It's a pretty simple and effective choice.
It's not a "want", it's a need, and if I can't get what I need from recreational weed shops then I'll see the city council in court.
Those fuckers on the council can force a pharmacy to stock weed with high CBD and low THC (that's counter to the recreational user, and the profits from such businesses), or force the approved weed shops to carry it. What they cannot do is deny a prescription from a doctor, I've got many doctors, all offering me the "green card" because I'm the goddamn poster child for it, because for what it does do, it works.

To repeat, fuck you.
More...
Posted by MrBaker http://manywordsforrain.blogspot.com/ on October 7, 2013 at 10:08 PM · Report this
seatackled 34

Let's accept your highly questionable hypothesis for a moment. Okay, so what if that's who most of the people are?

You're sounding like Lieberman when he said women could just drive to the next pharmacy to get morning-after medication.
Posted by seatackled on October 7, 2013 at 10:24 PM · Report this
@ 32. Well, what I heard was more of the lines, "since you all declared war on us.."
and "we are gunning after you all.." and some angry venom spat at (I believe) Alison Holcomb.

Then, you mentioned that your group will try to replace these by the voters come election time.

@ Sally Clark. If her aides are reading this, your girl got ice in her veins, cool and in control,
after all that yelling and hollering. Classy all the way.
Posted by You'reAsColdAsIce on October 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM · Report this
So does this mean Hempfest is finally out of Myrtle Edwards?
Posted by Zander on October 7, 2013 at 11:08 PM · Report this
Serious question - why does it make a difference? Why should there be two sets of stores under two different regulatory regimes? Can't MM users just get theirs with everyone else?
Posted by Reader01 on October 7, 2013 at 11:15 PM · Report this
@33: Jeez, you sound like you're high right now. Chill out, maaaaan.

I did look up neuropathy, as you suggested. And it turns out there's tons of drugs that are effective in treating it, not the "weed or oxy or DEATH" choice that you hysterically claimed.

Good luck with that court case against the city council! I'm sure they're shaking in their boots over there at the thought that Stoner MrBaker is coming after them!
Posted by lol you know im right on October 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM · Report this
just let it grow the way nature would have it grow. grow cannabis hemp for all its purposes in all the places Jefferson and Washington wanted it grown...
Posted by get along already on October 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM · Report this
@ 37 if medical marijuana patients had to take a medication for blood pressure or muscle relaxers or pain medication they go to a pharmacy and get a prescription filled. They don't pay taxes on their medications. If a person wants to get drunk, they go somewhere that sells alcohol. they either get it at a bar or a store-and pay taxes. Why should medical marijuana patients be treated like recreational users? There is a difference...and part of it is cost.
Posted by um really? on October 7, 2013 at 11:47 PM · Report this
@40 - that makes sense, thanks
Posted by Reader01 on October 8, 2013 at 12:13 AM · Report this
Reader01, there is another reason. Recreational sellers can't sell hash (the LCB declared that hash cannot be classified as a product that contains marijuana and as such is beyond the scope of 502) or low THC, high cannabinoid pot (the kind that works well on seizures). Cancer patients need the former, while epileptics need the latter.
Posted by Stoners will be fighting this one... on October 8, 2013 at 1:35 AM · Report this
Medical Cannabis Patients are using cannabis to replace highly toxic medications that cause serious side effects.. They need access to the whole plant matter to juice..to produce oils for baking ..to have affordable cannabis material provided by their membership collective.
This model of health care provides the least toxic method of pain management and wellness.
THIS IS NOT A SIN OR A VICE!!!

Recreational cannabis use is a social event for adults over 21 in Washington State.. PERIOD!!

Any city counsel member who supports ending of medical cannabis should be sued...again follow the money trail and see who is pushing this and then let us out them and shame them for the suffering they are causing...

We need collective models to provide the low cost and no-cost patients with safe and quality medicine so their quality of life will improve...

Posted by medcannabis1 on October 8, 2013 at 3:42 AM · Report this
MrBaker 44
@38, the side effects of those other drugs are debilitating, and not as effective, also, the life or death part is taking oxyplatin for cancer or death.

There isn't much incentive for the "free market" to provide low THC product when the overwhelming recreational user is looking for the opposite.

Lastly, I am a little excited, I have cancer and having dumb fuckers like you mess with my medication out of your ignorant caves just isn't ok. Fuck you.
Posted by MrBaker http://manywordsforrain.blogspot.com/ on October 8, 2013 at 8:57 AM · Report this
Fenrox 45
@2 you suck.

The city council are the Seattle version of the Tea Party.
Posted by Fenrox on October 8, 2013 at 9:03 AM · Report this
@44: I'm sure your whole "I've got cancer, get outta my way" schtick wins you a lot of points in most of your interactions with people, but it doesn't cut much ice with me. The reason you reject all other treatments is because you want to get high.

Hiiiigh, maaan.
Posted by lol you know im right on October 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM · Report this
(Although I normally don't weigh in on trivial subjects, and am anti-dope, but have a "live and let live" attitude, I feel I must comment on this dope stuff.)

Oh, puuuhleaze! We hear that same refrain and lament about everything: wasn't it the same lamer excuse used by Arthur Dent (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) to the Vogans after they posted their construction warning notice on Jupiter, ferchrissakes?

The old Soviet Union, Albania, Bulgaria and China have used the exact same policy many times over, requiring nonexistent licenses, and it always worked for them?!?!?!?!

Questioning nonexistent licenses simply doesn't hold up in our universe, sonny!
Posted by sgt_doom on October 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM · Report this
The city council im sure is getting influenced by those who see the medical market as a threat to the recreational market. The state of WA has a financial incentive to NOT allow medical pot as it will most likely hurt the recreational sales, more medical patients = less revenue, both tax revenue and sales revenue, for the state/city.

It is time for the dispensaries and patients to rally against this. Lets go, first rally tonight at 5pm!

Rally information: https://www.facebook.com/events/50425928…
Posted by krisztinastar http://https://www.facebook.com/saveWAMMJ on October 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM · Report this

Rally Tuesday 10/8 5pm: https://www.facebook.com/events/50425928…
Posted by krisztinastar http://https://www.facebook.com/saveWAMMJ on October 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM · Report this
Your all wrong about the part where there are soooo many different strains, products, consumables, medical properties that are already out there that you need more than just a few dispensories otherwise your limiting the available strains/types from patients not everyone knows the growers of all these different kinds unless you gather them all up from around the world and built some ginormous warehouse/dispensory/grow site with all different climates to be able to produce certain kinds then your whole idea of shutting down should be thrown out the window all these people need to wake up and actually do a bit of research and reading about what they want to get rid of...otherwise all your doing is hurting medical patients by taking away a more organic natural form of medicine.
Posted by Kind6 on October 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM · Report this
As long as cannabis is still Schedule I under WA law, it simply IS NOT MEDICINE, and therefore has NONE of the protection of law reserved for medicine. Work on that little detail of technical importance and then get back to us MR Sarich....And that goes for the rest of you as well who think cannabis is legally medicine here in WA...;-D
Posted by pupuguru http://www.godsweed.org on October 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM · Report this
@51

It is medicine in Washington. The voters passed Initiatve 692 over 15 years ago that made marijuana legal medically. Look it up, genius......
Posted by JustTheFactsPlease on October 8, 2013 at 2:37 PM · Report this
And here we are arguing about how easy it is to get a Medical recommendation for Cannabis when it is just as easy to get pain killers, anti-psychotics and the like from your overworked doctor at Group Health...even to get your insurance to pay for it.

I am not sure why some abuse for Medicinal Marijuana patients is unacceptable, and massive, widespread abuse of pharmaceuticals is considered just part of today's life.

The priorities are all messed up - and nothing will change until you change the way you view the medicinal uses of Cannabis - either you think it can only benefit terminally-ill patients, or it can also benefit people in a wide variety of ailments (cluster migraines, jaw and neck tension and TMJ, ADD/ADHD, etc. etc. etc. ) not to mention just being recreational fun for others. Like others have mentioned, Colorado's legislation around this is much more inclusive and broad.

Unsure what kind of solution will come of this.
Posted by haaarvard on October 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM · Report this
Dominic Holden, this is your fault. Intelligent people on the anti-502 campaign repeatedly told you that this would happen. You shouted them down, and portrayed them as crazy and selfish. You did this. Screw you. Right in the face.
Posted by Jack Acid on October 8, 2013 at 6:31 PM · Report this
"Can't we all just get along"
Posted by Fry Ant Pharmz on October 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM · Report this
Do everyone, mainly yourself, a big favor and please read this book:
The Emperor Wears No Clothes -- by Jack Herer R.I.P.
This book is a must read for ANYONE discussing ANYTHING relating to Cannabis !!
It can be read in its entirety for FREE at jackherer.com
Everyone posting tonight will get SOMETHING from it.
"I GUARANTEE IT" -- MikeHunt
Posted by MikeHunt on October 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM · Report this
IndicaDogwalk 57
As a genuine medical marijuana patient, this is a fight worth fighting. I think #3 summed it up best. There has to be something we can do.

It's absolutely unjust that legalizing it might actually make the system worse.
Posted by IndicaDogwalk on October 9, 2013 at 2:25 AM · Report this
What a shock. The AT LARGE/ DEVELOPER $$$ elected city council votes to do buck the citizens aversion to the drug war!

Seattle needs a vote on getting rid of the at large system, and it needs it NOW!
Posted by araucania on October 9, 2013 at 8:10 AM · Report this
Hold the phone...@6, having recently visited your baseball stadium, I did not find garlic curly fries or chocolate-dipped rice krispy treats. Please provide a map with the location of these vendors, so I know where to locate my seats next time... I don't need to be high, calories don't exist in baseball stadiums (and airplanes/airports...you LOSE weight while flying, scientific fact...if you don't believe me, weigh yourself at altitude some time).
Posted by Ms. D on October 9, 2013 at 7:11 PM · Report this
420leaks 60
@50 Not true. Go read the Kurtz vs State ruling. Schedule 1 is only applied to remain in compliance with international treaty obligations and federal laws and not a statement on it's lack of medical value. That it does has already been proven and the courts see through the lame argument that there is no accepted medical value.

Read it at http://www.scribd.com/doc/169489498/Stat…

Removing cannabis from schedule one is a priority to end police grants, protect worker, medical and housing rights, etc., but schedule one status is a separate issue from the criminal laws around it.
Posted by 420leaks http://420leaks.org/ on October 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM · Report this
420leaks 61
Sorry...last comment was for #51 (pupuguru)
Posted by 420leaks http://420leaks.org/ on October 12, 2013 at 10:01 PM · Report this
I am a disabled low income patient that simply cannot wait for the legal stores. Why? Because in order to get my mmj card, I have to pay a charlatan wearing a lab coat 150-200 dollars just to write a prescription. When you are poor, that is too much! Until insurance will cover mmj as a medicine, I can only hope to be able to go to a store and legally buy some like everyone else.
Those that are screaming the loudest are the fake doctors that write these fake prescriptions at 5-7 an hour at hundreds a pop...you add it up! Go sit in the rooms of these places and see for yourself, oh wait, you can't sit in these places because they are standing room only!
I could not afford to renew this year, so I am waiting impatiently for the stores to open.
If they want their medical mmj, than make it so our regular doctors can write the prescriptions during a regular office visit that isn't hundreds out of my pocket.
Posted by Poor and disabled on October 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM · Report this
Without medical marijuana and the many different medical products made from weed, I have such horrible GI symptoms that I can barely eat anything except plain rice. I can't work, I can't get the most basic nourishment. But with marijuana, I eat pretty much whatever I want. I also have crippling anxiety that is treated very effectively. Marijuana is absolutely medicine and it irritates me to see comments suggesting otherwise. I doubt these recreational weed stores will include the wide array of products that the dispensaries sell. And certainly not at the same incredibly reasonable prices. We have to fight to keep easy access to medical marijuana dispensaries.
Posted by recycledstars on October 14, 2013 at 12:58 AM · Report this
Sorry @63 but I call bs to your story. How do you work on mmj? I am a cancer patient, yes mmj is a medicine, but it's not one you can go to work on! Even if you don't "feel" high, you don't go to work!
You will be able to buy all those products you mentioned in the new stores. Do you really think they won't sell moneymakers like edibles? Those are huge price ups and the people that make them need to sell them somewhere. I say leave a few mmj dispensaries open (like a previous person mentioned) for the chronic patients that need it (close to the hospitals would be best), otherwise we don't need a 100. Please @63 save your money and quit buying fake prescriptions!
Posted by Poor and diasabled on October 14, 2013 at 8:19 AM · Report this
Sorry, 64, but some of us can function okay even "high." I have a couple of nagging pains, and for about 10 days a year on average, they require schedule II drugs to keep them in check. I still sit at my desk and do my programming and analysis just fine on percs, vics, valium, and all manner of other stuff. Sure, I'm a little foggy and a little slower on those days, but I can still do my job to about 80%. I take the drugs BECAUSE they allow me to function from time to time when necessary. If I DIDN'T take them, THEN I'd have to take a week off of work to writhe in pain on my couch until the muscles decided they were tired of seizing or whatnot...
Posted by Ms. D on October 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM · Report this
The ignorance in this is overwhelming. Patients need more information and specialized products than the casual user.

We all have an endocannabinoid system. It regulates the other systems in our body. As Raphael Mechoulem, the man who originally discovered THC in 1964 and has been studying cannabis ever since, whose team discovered the endocannabinoid system in 1987, states, "There is barely a biological or physiological system in our bodies in which the endocannabinoids do not participate". Our bodies run on cannabinoids, some people don't produce enough, like a diabetic with insulin. When the body's own endocannabinoids are diminished, this causes a function issue within the body's systems.

We have American Medicine and it works for many, yet there are other widely accepted forms of medicine. Medical cannabis is considered holistic medicine in many areas of the country. It has always been a part of Ayurvedic, Chinese and Korean medicines. Cannabis was widely used as medicine in this nation until 1937. Now science understands the connection between the plant and humans, it is time the nation accepts cannabis medicine as a science. In addition to American Medicine we currently have Chiropractic, Holistic, Herbal and Ayurvedic medicine being practiced here. There is room for cannabis medicine, the practice of medicine based on the endocannabinoid system and using cannabis to treat it. To say we are a free nation and forbid the only natural homeostatic substance that can actually heal people is an oxymoron.

Misinformation has done much damage over the last 75 years as has the war on a plant and those who use it. Cannabis has continually been shown to be a remarkable anti-inflammatory which could be of great help to the 86 million people that suffer chronic pain. No one ever died from cannabis/marijuana though much suffering has taken place from the prohibition of it. It is time to end this travesty. Education is key - Educate Everyone

More...
Posted by KathyD on October 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM · Report this
When will City Councils and legislators wake up to reality? Patients will always need more information and assistance than a casual user. Is the Alcohol Board going to oversee pharmaceutical dispensaries too? Medical use of cannabis = Medicine, it is not the same as 65 types of beer!
Posted by KathyD on October 16, 2013 at 1:27 PM · Report this
Sorry @65 but you give the choice between going to work high, or staying at home sober and in pain? What kind of logic is that? If you are not 100 percent, ie sick, stay home, take your meds and get better! I bet your boss would be happy to know you are stoned at work. Geez people! Do you drink alcohol at work too? Yes, it is a medication, but in its current form it is strong. Plus, it is NOT a cure all! It will not cure my cancer. That's what chemo is for. It is a symptom reliever. And if my stomach was as bad as @63 claims there's to be, then I would go to the doctor and get fixed before I die from a bleeding ulcer or something! Not mask the symptoms with more pain relief!
Come on people it's not all or nothing. Yes, it is a useful medication. It is not the ultimate cure all. Treat it with respect!!! Use it to take away pain, help with your chemo etc, but don't be stupid and take it at work, take it to ignore symptoms of a major untreated illness, or drive while on it! It is legal now, don't be stupid and cause people to want to reverse that good decision.
I can see the headline now: Woman dies at work from bleeding ulcer she had been treating with medical marijuana. That will scare all the anti-mmj people!
Posted by Cancer patient on October 17, 2013 at 7:45 PM · Report this
I voted NO on I-502, simply because of this huge can of worms being dumped on our laps. Wait until the State Patrol goes nuts arresting non impaired recreational users who took a couple of hits a couple of days ago. I'am 49, been a grower since I was 15, I've never been in a Medical Marijuana shop, probably never will. I sure as hell will never buy from a state regulated store or ever pay a tax on my smoke OR my tomatoes.
Posted by homedough on October 22, 2013 at 1:57 PM · Report this