Monday, September 16, 2013

Texas Women Now Have to Drive Hours for Non-Shamey Healthcare

Posted by on Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 3:58 PM

A Texas A&M student says she was lectured by her doctor for having a hickey and asking for birth control. >:(

Now, thanks to the implementation of the state's new anti-abortion laws, her only recourse is to drive hours out of her way to acquire birth control and non-shamey healthcare:

Athena Mason’s first doctor’s visit as a student at Texas A&M was a bit awkward. She had gone in for a basic checkup, but the physician noticed something else.

I had a hickey and the doctor was just like, you shouldn’t be doing that," Mason said. "I’m like, 'it’s a hickey, it’s nothing major.' But I got a big lecture, [he said] my boyfriend was abusive and all of these things. And then I asked for birth control. I did not hear the end of that. So I said never mind, I’ll go someplace else.”

That experience led her to the Planned Parenthood clinic in Bryan. But on August 1, that clinic closed. Mason now drives three hours to her hometown of Fort Worth to see a doctor. She knows she’s lucky to have that option.

Go read the whole article, which includes this awful gem:

Anti-abortion groups argue there are still plenty of doctors and clinics available to help women find a new provider. The group called Pro-Life Aggies ran a full page ad in the Texas A&M newspaper offering alternatives to the closed Planned Parenthood clinic. But many weren’t taking new patients. Or they didn’t deal with women’s health at all.

“There’s a long list of providers here in town," said [Bryan resident Cadence] King. "They consist of podiatrists and optometrists. And my eyes and my feet are fine.”

Texas: armpit of the universe.
Posted by d.p. on September 16, 2013 at 4:22 PM · Report this
TomJohnsonJr 2
"OB-GYNs? We got lotsa OB-GYNOTs is all. Plus chiropodists. Plenty of chiropodists."
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on September 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM · Report this
treacle 3
I'll be anticipating a surge in both STIs and unplanned pregnancies in Texas in the next 5 years.
To say nothing of STI ignorance in general.
Sad.
Posted by treacle on September 16, 2013 at 4:42 PM · Report this
Matt Hickey 4
As a Hickey I find this doctor's behavior to be outrageous and ignorant.
Posted by Matt Hickey http://www.matthickey.com on September 16, 2013 at 4:51 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 5
she shouldn't be doing that - hickeys are purposeless. except matt hickeys. they have purpose.
Posted by Max Solomon on September 16, 2013 at 4:57 PM · Report this
Frank Blethen's vodka distiller 6
In Texas intelligence is considered elitist.
Posted by Frank Blethen's vodka distiller on September 16, 2013 at 5:10 PM · Report this
emma's bee 7
Seriously?! I hope like hell this was not a doctor at the student clinic. Even Texans must have some sense of decency.
Posted by emma's bee on September 16, 2013 at 5:10 PM · Report this
I am so glad we left that state. I wish they would secede already.
Posted by NineOneFour on September 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM · Report this
@7, no, they really don't.
Posted by NineOneFour on September 16, 2013 at 5:23 PM · Report this
OK, Texas, you've been threatening to secede from the US for years. Please do so at your earliest convenience.
Posted by NeitherThisNorThat on September 16, 2013 at 5:44 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 11

“I had a hickey and the doctor was just like, you shouldn’t be doing that," Mason said. "I’m like, 'it’s a hickey, it’s nothing major.' But I got a big lecture, [he said] my boyfriend was abusive and all of these things

What about the knee-jerk Agendist anti-male reaction of treating a hickey as a new form of rape-y behavior?

Or is that the part of Texas that y'all like to hear about...
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on September 16, 2013 at 7:08 PM · Report this
Matt Hickey 12
I read somewhere once that as part of its charter (or whatever it's called) for joining the States was that the Republic of Texas could leave it any time it wants to without interference.
Posted by Matt Hickey http://www.matthickey.com on September 16, 2013 at 7:19 PM · Report this
Backyard Bombardier 13
@11 Haven't you fucked off yet?
Posted by Backyard Bombardier on September 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM · Report this
venomlash 14
@13: Can I steal that as a generic placeholder response to SRotU?
Posted by venomlash on September 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM · Report this
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on September 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM · Report this
@Bailo, isn't there a youtube video about Galtian supermen you should be commenting on right now, or did your mom restrict your internet usage again?
Posted by FonsieScheme on September 16, 2013 at 11:55 PM · Report this
Yeah, there's no war on women. Right.
Posted by sea98103 on September 17, 2013 at 1:04 AM · Report this
Let's see if the women of TX do the right thing the next time they get to kick the anti-choice/forced birthers out of office.
Posted by Patricia Kayden on September 17, 2013 at 3:28 AM · Report this
Stranger Writers... paid to socially engineer Seattle youth using disinformation and information skew. Anything to get the youth to go queer and disown their families. This paves the way for COMMUNISM, where youth need State and not family.
Posted by TRANSGENDER QUEER on September 17, 2013 at 5:32 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 20

#16

What I want to know is how feminists regard the Source Family's leader, Father Yod, and how can a simple SROTU get such a sweet deal as he??

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on September 17, 2013 at 7:25 AM · Report this
So glad I donate to Lilith Fund and PP gulf coast and other organizations that help Texans who need their services. Much more effective than just bitching about the state.
Posted by neverdidlikeyou on September 17, 2013 at 8:29 AM · Report this
treacle 22
@8, 10 - Yeah, about that secession idea. Sounds simple enough, but remember: Texas has quite a lot of live nuclear missile silos strewn across its landscape. If they secede, they will secede crazy and armed with nukes.

Should we keep them as "our bastards"?, or cut them loose and wait to see if they nuke anyone? Hopefully not the Puget Sound region/Cascadia...
Posted by treacle on September 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM · Report this
mkyorai 23
@22 They'd go for Mexico first. Just on (whatever passes for ) principal.
Posted by mkyorai on September 17, 2013 at 12:20 PM · Report this