and Drunks

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

What's the Deal with Shitbarf?

Posted by on Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Slog reader KBC writes...

Who the hell is writing shitbarf all over town? Seriously, you guys...ALL OVER TOWN. The mirror is at Rendezvous...

Screen_shot_2013-09-10_at_10.24.11_AM.png
  • Courtesy Slog reader KBC

...the black on black is at Cafe Pettirosso...

Screen_shot_2013-09-10_at_10.24.41_AM.png
  • Courtesy Slog reader KBC

...the sign is on Beacon Hill...

Click to enlarge.
  • Courtesy Slog reader KBC
  • Click to enlarge.

...and [this giant one is from the U District]...

Click to enlarge.
  • Courtesy Andrew Gordon
  • Click to enlarge.

Is it a band? Is it a gang? Is it someone who has nothing more to say than shitbarf?

I have no idea, KBC, but you're right: Shitbarf sure does get around. Can it possibly be one person? Just about everyone in The Stranger office has seen at least one shitbarf tag, but nobody has any idea what shitbarf means. (Uh, besides the obvious, of course.) Can anyone solve the mysteries of shitbarf?

very bad homo 1
I like street art, but Shitbarf is just ugly and overwhelming.
Posted by very bad homo on September 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 2
I am convinced it is to be pronounced "shit-flat-arf".
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on September 10, 2013 at 10:48 AM · Report this
NotSean 3
Please, give them some more attention.
Feed the trolls; feed the vandals.
Posted by NotSean on September 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM · Report this
Vancouver is cooler: someone is tagging "John Cusack" on its dumpsters. Why not attempt to one-up the city up north with "Crispin Glover" or "Aubrey Plaza" instead of this garbage?
Posted by everything's better up there on September 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM · Report this
Fnarf 5
I know! I know!

An asshole.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on September 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM · Report this
theophrastus 6
http://shitbarf.blogspot.com/ ...not that that explains anything. but then tagging itself seems to be only a vestigial bit of scent marking (if i don't spray, do i exist?)
Posted by theophrastus on September 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM · Report this
mr. herriman 7
I thought some idiot anarchist asshole took credit here in comments back when the Starbucks got vandalized? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. Happens.
Posted by mr. herriman on September 10, 2013 at 11:03 AM · Report this
pfffter 8
shitbarf has been going on for a while now. it's nothing new. i remember seeing my first one maybe a couple of years ago or longer. i thought it was a little funny at first. but then i saw a huge one on an apartment building on boylston this morning, and the only thing i could think is "that joke isn't funny anymore."
Posted by pfffter on September 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM · Report this
shitbarf is still funny. fuck you shitbarfs.
Posted by The CHZA on September 10, 2013 at 11:16 AM · Report this
SPG 10
I am ignoring this.
Posted by SPG on September 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM · Report this
UncleVinny 11
Incredibly, this has made me nostalgic for the relative sophistication of "The Bald Man Is Watching You".
Posted by UncleVinny http://unclevinny.wordpress.com on September 10, 2013 at 11:25 AM · Report this
AirBuddy 12
I love Shitbarf, but I have no small children to explain it to, so I can understand the hatred. Does anyone else remember the woodchuck chuck construction???
Posted by AirBuddy on September 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM · Report this
ERIN! 13
I like the "sissies rule" tagger much more.
Posted by ERIN! on September 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM · Report this
Gordon Werner 14
There's a small one at 12th & Republican IIRC
Posted by Gordon Werner on September 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM · Report this
Gordon Werner 15
And there's an @shitbarf on twitter
Posted by Gordon Werner on September 10, 2013 at 11:33 AM · Report this
pfffter 16
I like "sissies rule" as well -- and i still like the small little shitbarfs. It's the giant ones that are starting to crop up that have me bothered (like the one in the photo in the post). Ain't no need for all that.
Posted by pfffter on September 10, 2013 at 11:43 AM · Report this
Dogs can do it. They can throw up the contents of their intestines. It is, pretty much, shitbarf.
Posted by gnot on September 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM · Report this
DowntownTaylor 18
There's a shitbarf band. But which came first? The tags or the band?
Posted by DowntownTaylor http://www.digitaltaylor.com on September 10, 2013 at 11:47 AM · Report this
leek 19
Every so often I'm at the bus stop on the east side of 520 and see the big "FARTZ" on the back of the construction sign on the other side of the highway. It sorta makes me smile. FARTZ!!!
Posted by leek on September 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM · Report this
Skye Blu 20
The hand(?)writing is the same, so I'd assume one person. Perhaps it references the phenomenon of when one vomits so hard they shit themselves.
Posted by Skye Blu on September 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM · Report this
chimsquared 21
Another vote for small shitbarfs. Still funny. Large ones? Meh.
Posted by chimsquared on September 10, 2013 at 12:01 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 22
it's simply vulgar and has no place in a civilized society. i long for the days when 'shit' and 'barf' were kept separate as jesus asked.
Posted by Max Solomon on September 10, 2013 at 12:18 PM · Report this
I think I found his blog once. It's a dumb crustpunk who considers himself an artist.
Posted by UAR not logged in on September 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM · Report this
biffp 24
PissSpit, you are getting pwned.
Posted by biffp on September 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM · Report this
@18: I think the tagger and the band are separate entities.
Posted by UAR again on September 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM · Report this
Posted by Renée Krulich (Nay) on September 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 27
It's so cool, all the hip kids are doing it.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on September 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM · Report this
Madskillz80 28
Someone CARVED it into the floor of the food bank I work at. How they managed it, I have no idea.
Posted by Madskillz80 on September 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM · Report this
Sometimes during the death process people do literally barf shit. Horrible to contemplate, I know. But a physiological fact.

Maybe the graffiti is a statement on the loss of dignity inherent in mortality.
Posted by tkc on September 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM · Report this
SPG 30
I'm still ignoring this.
Posted by SPG on September 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM · Report this
Toasterhedgehog 31
OP and then @13 I just had the same sequence of thoughts yesterday in the men's bathroom in Jai Thai. Then this post happens. How could that possibly be a coincidence? Answer: Because it is!

Anyway. The tagger clearly is aware of how juvenile shitbarf is. I think they enjoy the absurdity of someone spending so much time and risking so much on something so preposterous. I see it as a young artist's commentary on the effort and time people sacrifice in activities that have no value or benefit. It's a parody of religion, fashion, and other memes that humans blindly pursue, and a statement of their value.

Or it's some dipshit promoting a band.
Posted by Toasterhedgehog on September 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 32
It's nice to know that when they dig through the ruins of the 21st century, this is what they'll find.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on September 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM · Report this
Graffiti is en egotist's shitbarf.
Posted by Zander on September 10, 2013 at 1:13 PM · Report this
treacle 34
@7 - Yeah, some chap appeared to take credit for it, but when I replied and told him it was the single worst piece of graffiti in town, he denied being the responsible party. I tend to think he is responsible, but I can't prove anything.

Anyway, yeah, I like street art a lot, but this "tag" --if you can even call it that-- is diminishing the form.

I mean seriously, total lack of artistry. It's getting any more interesting over time. It's like a 10 year old austistic tagging a new "naughty" word he learned how to spell, with some sort of OCD repetition mania. I mean, who can't spray paint words on a wall? The fact that there's no artistic improvement or variety at all I think is the worst, right after the visual blight.

Most pansy tag ever.
Posted by treacle on September 10, 2013 at 1:39 PM · Report this
treacle 35
Correction: It's NOT getting any more interesting over time.
Posted by treacle on September 10, 2013 at 1:40 PM · Report this
coolio 36
Personally, I like it.
Its easy to read. And I get it.
Way better than Spring Break (w/ the crude drawing of the titties)
Posted by coolio on September 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM · Report this
shitbarf = funny, regardless of size of pile
Posted by anon-in-north-seattle on September 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM · Report this
I <3 SHITbARF in any form.
Posted by mhulot on September 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM · Report this
Yes, this is absurdist street art, reminiscent of dadaist work such as Duchamp's "Fountain". You don't have to approve of this sloppy tag to appreciate the angsty anti-establismentarian spirit it brings to the City. In other words - Fuck you fucks for being a bunch of fucking simple minded ShitBarfs.
Posted by Anarchy Group Rules on September 10, 2013 at 2:12 PM · Report this
@7: Yeah, that's who I was talking about. You could find the link to his blog in those comments.

@39: Lol, and the pretentiously angry crusty appears. Apparently every idiot who scratches their nickname into a school desk is a great, scholarly artist.
Posted by UAR on September 10, 2013 at 2:32 PM · Report this
SHIT ALL OF YOUR BARF
Posted by Cheveyo on September 10, 2013 at 3:00 PM · Report this
"Shit barf is a mirror of what they see around them. Shit barf is the condo, the luxury restaurant, the mindless gentrification, development, and shitty architecture. Shit barf is the world you live in, Seattle. Sorry."

-Shitbarf
Posted by MarlowSmokes on September 10, 2013 at 4:09 PM · Report this
Twilight Sparkle 43
16, I dig Sissies Rule too. At some point he (?) made the leap to slap tagging with printed stickers, but what I really admire him for is his athleticism and love of nature: I found a Sissies Rule tag at the top of Mt. Si, a 6 mile trail with about 2k of elevation gain!
Posted by Twilight Sparkle on September 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM · Report this
It's the return of Cold K!!!
Posted by johnnycache on September 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM · Report this
nikkiburch 45
whatever happened to BEAR SNATCH
Posted by nikkiburch http://www.nikkiart.carbonmade.com on September 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 46
@42: Would we be complaining if it was restricted to symbols of gentrification, derplord?
Posted by undead ayn rand on September 10, 2013 at 6:45 PM · Report this
LEE. 47
@36

screw that, SPRING BREAK is possibly the greatest bit of ensemble art from this century.

@46

most people on this blog would continue to complain, yes.
Posted by LEE. on September 10, 2013 at 7:08 PM · Report this
...and Tina Chopp is still God.
Posted by Cork on September 10, 2013 at 7:27 PM · Report this
@2 you made that same damn joke last time shitbarf was mentioned, only you made it about fart-butt: http://www.thestranger.com/slog/archives…
(don't worry, I appreciated it both times)

@everyone: we did this one before
Posted by beef rallard on September 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM · Report this
Shitbarf is laughing at all of you.
Posted by aprilbaprilb on September 10, 2013 at 9:37 PM · Report this
Why do we have to solve the mystery of shitbarf? Why can't shitbarf just be shitbarf and we could be normal people and the world can just keep on turning?
Posted by treehugger on September 10, 2013 at 9:47 PM · Report this
All your shit are belong to barf.
Posted by Big Gigantic on September 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM · Report this
Sea Otter 53
Long ago, I had a friend whose tag was "poop" (all lowercase). If you're reading this, you know who you are.

@4 Vancouver has some great taggers. John Cusack forever. Also MOHINDER and the erstwhile "i love you" tagger.

Posted by Sea Otter on September 11, 2013 at 12:29 AM · Report this
Andy Niable 54
S/he's no Banksy...
Posted by Andy Niable on September 11, 2013 at 1:18 AM · Report this
Oh,

I read the headline and thought someone had come up with a new nickname for Breitbart

Peace
Posted by Married in MA on September 11, 2013 at 7:54 AM · Report this
it's about natural progression.

When you eat something, your stomach turns it into barf. Then the barf from your stomach turns into shit.

Then you shitbarf
Posted by Doot http://serbia-sucks.blogspot.com on September 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM · Report this
wilbur@work 57
this thread was no fun at all until @56's post. Thanks, @56.
Posted by wilbur@work on September 11, 2013 at 7:03 PM · Report this
shitbarf can go fucking die
Posted by y.r. on September 11, 2013 at 10:53 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 59
@49 - Thank you for noticing.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on September 12, 2013 at 9:00 AM · Report this
im so sick of this faggot
Posted by tiredofthis on September 12, 2013 at 5:02 PM · Report this
I prefer the term CROMIT.
Posted by Cromit on September 14, 2013 at 12:23 PM · Report this
TVDinner 62
Shitbarf is obviously authored by someone who has eaten Chinese food in Ecuador.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on September 14, 2013 at 2:39 PM · Report this
DeaconBlues 63
I don't know who's tagging seattle, but I can say I wrote SHITbARF in a bathroom in Florence
Posted by DeaconBlues http://radzillas.blogspot.com/ on September 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM · Report this
well_now 64
When I moved away from Seattle in 2011, shitbarf was already everywhere I went. I hate shitbarf. Seeing it would put me in a bad mood until I could distract myself with something else, which would take between 5 and 30 minutes. I suppose you could argue that shitbarf jarred me out of my complacency, but it did it in a bad way. Couldn't shitbarf just break some Chase Bank windows instead? In conclusion, fuck you, shitbarf.
Posted by well_now on September 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM · Report this