and Drunks

Monday, September 9, 2013

When A Dead Woman Speaks to the Living

Posted by on Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 8:51 AM

The dead person is Elizabeth Sue Sleasman. She was born in 1976. Her life came to an end on August 6th. But she did not leave this world without some final words of warning about drug addiction on her ObitsforLife page...

...I entered the Methadone treatment and stopped using, but unfortunately my drinking habit kept on and I started using again. More recently I was admitted to the hospital because I was vomiting blood - my stomach was raw and the lining split because of crystal meth and alcohol. The doctors glued it together, and tried to get me to go to treatment - I said I would do it myself. I have quit now, but I am dead; don’t wait as long as I did, give your life another chance.

Phoebe in Wallingford 1
How tragic, yet laundering one's dirty air in public at the same time.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on September 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 2
I thought "airing one's dirty laundry" referred to publicly releasing information that one would prefer remain private.

Sounds like this young woman freely volunteered and published her story as a cautionary tale.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on September 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM · Report this
We live in a society where people feel the need to disclose the mundane aspects of their lives (I'm looking at you Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram).

Why should we be surprised that people will continue the trend in death?

Having said all that, if this woman's disclosure will help kick one person's ass into recovery, then I'm sure her sould will be credited with a victory. May she rest in a peace that she didn't have in life.
Posted by ProstSeattle on September 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 4
I have a friend who works through AA and I heard there is a person in another city that is addicted to vanilla extract. The addiction is so bad it's caused hospitalization three times.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on September 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 5
@2: But think how hard it is for her survivors, friends, and extend family to be thrust into talking about such heartbreak. That's why we remember those who have passed with pleasant and uplifting memories instead of delving into areas not meant for public consumption.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on September 9, 2013 at 4:48 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 6
But taking drugs is so cool, all the kids are doing it.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on September 9, 2013 at 5:06 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 7
Phoebe, dear, you really do live in a zip-locked Sanforized pretty world, full of sparkles, rainbows, and an eternal valium-laced smile, don't you?
Posted by Dr_Awesome on September 10, 2013 at 7:46 AM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 8
What Dr_Awesome said. And don't forget the pearls... She must always be wearing pearls to clutch them so much.
Posted by Pridge Wessea on September 10, 2013 at 10:02 AM · Report this
Phoebe, your statements 1 and 5 miss the mark entirely. Can you not imagine the incredible courage and humility it took for this woman to write her own story? Can you not imagine what it must have been like for Elizabeth to think of others while facing her own death? Can you not imagine what it took for her parents to include it in her obituary? They could easily have left it out of the public's view. No one would be the wiser. Instead, they chose to honor their daughter's unselfish act believing her message might motivate SOMEONE to think long and hard before deciding to take a walk down her path.

This is not a case of 'delving into areas not meant for public consumption' and 'airing one's dirty laundry in public.' This is a cautionary tale her family--those in actual control--chose to reveal. I sincerely doubt they had your words in mind as they decided to honor their daughter's wishes.
Posted by Kristy in Bellingham on September 11, 2013 at 3:02 AM · Report this