Monday, September 9, 2013

"I Don't See a Difference...To Me, All Weapons Kill."

Posted by on Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Business Insider brought my attention to this NPR interview with a man who lost 11 family members in Syria's recent chemical weapon strikes. Almost nothing is made plain in the interview. The man's family doesn't know whether the attacks were delivered by Assad's forces or rebels. He doesn't believe the US should strike Syria, but he does think "America should stand in the middle and stop the fighting" somehow. The only thing that is clear in the interview is the fact that people die whether the weapons used are chemical or conventional.

"I never heard a corpse ask how it got so cold."--Prince Richard, The Lion in Winter
Posted by Adrian Ryan on September 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM · Report this
biffp 2
Obama, and other advocates of a punitive strike, argue it is necessary to enforce an important, 80-year-old international norm against using chemical weapons on civilians. But without broad international support, that argument runs headlong into another norm, one that has had far more impact in creating a less chaotic world than the chemical weapons ban: the norm toward multilateral security.

Posted by biffp on September 9, 2013 at 12:34 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 3
Ahmed ain't the sharpest tool, is he?
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on September 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM · Report this
Sean Kinney 4
@1: So are you saying that one cannot distinguish between trying to kill everyone in a neighboorhood, at once - everyone - and trying to kill soldiers/combatants that are actively fighting you? A distinction with a difference I claim...
Posted by Sean Kinney http:// on September 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM · Report this

Peace Through Strength
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on September 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM · Report this

#4

This is in fact, a philosophical crises that I faced all weekend. To wit, my new neighbor was blowing a combination of thick tobacco smoke AND horrible amounts of icky smelling fabic softener all over the neighborhood to the point that it was coming into my apartment and making me ill.

In fact, I called the police to report it because apartment management was recalcitrant. A policeman arrived, sniffed around and said, "it smells like fabric softener". Yes, I said, but who does laundry for 72 hours! This is making me sick.

He said, there's nothing they can do. So, just to at least get my tax money's worth in banter, I asked, well, if someone were gassing the neighborhood wtih noxious poison, wouldn't you be arresting them. His rejoinder (I love it, all Washington Police are philosophers) was, what about when you drive your car?

Yes, when I drive my car (and when you drive your car -- until that car is a hydrogen car) you are "gassing" everyone in the neighborhood. By extension, using electricity or taking transit. Therefore, you too, all of you, are gassing everyone else!

I only understood this after engaging in dialectic with a police!
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on September 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 7
Obama understands the politics of power. Almed doesn't. I find it sad that people won't do anything of real value to force the Syrian regime to the negotiating table. Millions of refugees, hundreds of thousands dead but people won't act.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on September 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM · Report this
@6
That sounds like the type of international event that could be solved with diplomats, i.e. speaking with the neighbor in question, rather than escalating to outside parties.
Posted by zobot http://wsu.academia.edu/zoealeshire on September 9, 2013 at 2:08 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 9
@8 Bailo would rather spew all over Slog rather than be a rational adult.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on September 9, 2013 at 2:25 PM · Report this
" Almost nothing is made plain in the interview."

Wow, that's a real breath of honest reportage, Mr. Constant!

Sounds like the typical NPR, or Foxtard, or CNN or CBS interview.

But then, how many people are aware of the director of the CIA's daughter being a newsy, or that Anderson Cooper spent in his summers at Yale interning for the CIA?

Just as when I was a kid, when douchebagger Stewart Alsop cited anonymous sources at the CIA, nobody was aware his cousin was Kermit Roosevelt, or that the WaPo's Cleveland Amory's brother was a deputy director at the CIA.

Yup, no proof to date of who was responsible for that chem attack, only reliable reports to date have written of American-backed Syrian rebels butchering Syrian Christian villages, and that a week or so prior to that chem attack, US and Israeli special forces were sighted entering into Syrian territory.

No proof, only Obama's whim......
Posted by sgt_doom on September 9, 2013 at 3:08 PM · Report this
In reading the Business Insider article, though, sounds like Ahmed might just be in the Palestinian refugee group, which might indicate those victims of the gas attack were mainly Palestinian refugees?????

Posted by sgt_doom on September 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM · Report this