Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Frederik Pohl

Posted by on Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM

The influential futurist and science fiction author died over the holiday weekend. GalleyCat published some links to free e-book editions of his work and a radio broadcast of one of his best stories.

Oh. God damn it.
Posted by tkc on September 3, 2013 at 3:25 PM · Report this
Beetlecat 2
Time to re-read the Gateway series. So long Frederik!
Posted by Beetlecat on September 3, 2013 at 3:51 PM · Report this
disintegrator 3
Fuck!

Fuck, fuck, fuck.
Posted by disintegrator on September 3, 2013 at 4:41 PM · Report this
My fave Pohl SF story was Starburst and a little known fact is that Mr. Pohl was originally responsible for split TV, allow multiple screens (2-4 or more) to be viewed simultaneously, allowing TV fans in general, and sports fans the world over, to enjoy their viewing.

Posted by sgt_doom on September 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM · Report this
This makes me sad. I randomly picked up a battered copy of "Gateway" at the library when I was 11, and it blew my mind. That was my first sci-fi book, and the one that began a life-long appreciation of the genre.
Posted by Squirrel Girl on September 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 6
Sigh.

He was a good guy.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on September 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM · Report this
Abbafui 7
A golden age manster. RIP. He's gone beyond the event horizon.
Posted by Abbafui on September 4, 2013 at 9:31 AM · Report this