Tuesday, August 27, 2013

All In All Over Trumpology

Posted by on Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

So... if Donald Trump had founded a religion instead of an online university he'd be in the clear, right? Because Trump U sounds like the Church of Scientology to me—except the Church of Scientology gets away with it because "religion" is a magic word and a get-out-jail-free card here in the United States.

Part two of All In's segment on Trump U after the jump...

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Yet more confirmation that Donald Trump is PT Barnum pretending to be John D Rockefeller.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on August 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 2
Anybody who would give this jackass money deserves what they get.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on August 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM · Report this
lolorhone 3
Sorry, Dan, but you've already fucked up my day with child rapists getting jaywalking time and religious zealots talking up Russia like it's the Shining City Upon the Hill- I'm not wasting my time watching The Grim Gonad's sideways hair or listening to his sideways politics.
Posted by lolorhone on August 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM · Report this
guerre 4
Well I'm glad I'm not the only person watching "All-In". Aren't the ratings abysmal?
Posted by guerre on August 27, 2013 at 1:11 PM · Report this
Knat 5
"Donald Trump is without question the world's most famous businessman."

Yeah, and Ted Bundy is without question the world's most famous serial killer/cannibal. "Most famous" does not mean best.
Posted by Knat on August 27, 2013 at 1:57 PM · Report this
evilvolus 6
@5 - Bundy wasn't a cannibal. Murderer and rapist who liked playing with the corpses, sure. But not a cannibal.
Posted by evilvolus on August 27, 2013 at 2:17 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 7
I don't understand why Oprah didn't get the same treatment for "The Secret". All her creations are just as horrid as Trump's, even if she's much much better at business than ol ratcorpse head.
Posted by undead ayn rand on August 27, 2013 at 8:23 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 8
@5: One of the most failed, as well. How many times has he filed for bankruptcy? He's only a millionaire today for being handed billions and a job in real estate from his daddy.
Posted by undead ayn rand on August 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM · Report this
@7 Oprah is both much smarter and much, very much, richer then Trump. She also actually built her empire. Trump not so much, certainly not anywhere close in terms of started with built what.

And if your really the undead ayn rand, Oprah should have you creaming in you jeans, compared to Trump.
Posted by Machiavelli was framed on August 27, 2013 at 11:15 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 10
@9: Oh, I know the both. And I'm most certainly not ;)
Posted by undead ayn rand on August 28, 2013 at 6:41 AM · Report this
Religions aren't exempt from fraud. Fraud is the knowing misrepresentation of the truth or concealment of a material fact to induce another to act to his or her detriment. It isn't that religions are exempt, it is that they usually don't meet the criteria. You could argue that any religion misrepresents or conceals facts that cause people to act to their own detriment, but it is very hard to prove the knowingly part since they can at least make a convincing argument that they actually believe what they are saying.

@7 - Did Oprah actually profit from the Secret? That wasn't my understanding. Also, maybe I just don't know enough about it, but I didn't think it was a fraudulent operation that continued to try and take money from you. Wasn't it just a book? I don't think promoting a misguided book can be equated to running a fraudulent business.
Posted by brent.b on August 28, 2013 at 11:38 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 12
@11: "Did Oprah actually profit from the Secret? That wasn't my understanding. Also, maybe I just don't know enough about it, but I didn't think it was a fraudulent operation that continued to try and take money from you"

She profits from all of her guests and carefully screens them. She knew it was a load of shit from a group of hucksters. It's not scientology, but it's as valid as "What the Bleep", or Kevin Trudeau's operations. She knows Dr. Oz and Jenny McCarthy are frauds, but she doesn't care. Her empire is kept afloat on her fans buying into all manner of expensive, placebo-or-worse consumerism.
Posted by undead ayn rand on August 29, 2013 at 7:20 AM · Report this
@12: So in other words, no, she did not directly benefit from the book and it was just a book, not a program that bilked tens of thousands of dollars out of people by purposefully misleading them. She was just prmotong one in a series of lame self-help books. It is more than a stretch to compare that to the charges being made against Trump University.
Posted by brent.b on August 29, 2013 at 9:15 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 14
She employs dozens of Trumps and fosters their careers, it's really no different. Hell, I hate Trump less seeing as Oprah employs Dr Oz and Jenny McCarthy.