Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Hooray for the Endicott Pear Tree!

Posted by on Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM

A little bit of nice news from treehugger.com: One of the first fruit trees planted in America is still alive and well at age 383.

(Side note: After this, Slog still doesn't have a "TREES" tag?!)

Thanks, Greg!

Theodore Gorath 1
I think I remember reading somewhere that trees are biologically immortal, and as long as conditions stay right, there is no actual life span for a tree.

Of course, this rarely if ever happens. That natural world is full of danger, and trees don't move very fast.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on August 27, 2013 at 11:30 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 2
I need clippings of this tree. I need to eat pears from it.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on August 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM · Report this
my sister says: "one of the first fruit trees planted by white people."
Posted by Thyme on August 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 4
@3 - I'm not able to (easily) find information about the history of fruit trees, so this is pure speculation, but is it at all possible that white people introduced cultivated fruit trees to North America?
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on August 27, 2013 at 2:07 PM · Report this
@4 I believe there was a history of cultivation for both fruit and nut trees prior to colonization - including North American persimmons, paw-paw, etc.
Posted by checkavailability on August 27, 2013 at 4:30 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 6
@5 - Yeah, I suspected the only way I was going to find out about it would be to research the history of each and every species of fruit tree, and that wasn't about to happen. Just looking at the paw-paw, there do appear to be records of natives cultivating it as early as 1541, west of the Mississippi.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on August 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM · Report this