Monday, July 29, 2013

In Case You Have Not Seen It: Reza Aslan of Fox

Posted by on Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 4:31 PM

This is the interview:

My theory? Let's begin with this: If a black person wants to rise in this society, he/she generally has to do more work than whites do. In light of that fact, let's turn to this context, and what do we see? A black woman clearly doing her best to be far better at bigotry than her white peers. The same sort of thing is true for Clarence Thomas.

Reza Aslan will be with Lesley Hazleton at the Central Library tonight.

Jaymz 1
Quite a bit different from his extended interview with John Oliver on The Daily Show last week.... Here he has to spend most of his time defending who HE is rather than discussing his opinions and conclusions. Sigh.
Posted by Jaymz on July 29, 2013 at 5:04 PM · Report this
NotSean 2
Had not seen the link. He came out swinging. Good on him.
Of course, Hell awaits him but it can't be that much worse than being on Fox.

Posted by NotSean on July 29, 2013 at 5:17 PM · Report this
Dougsf 3
An ad hominem defense when there wasn't even an argument in the first place. That's some next level shit, Fox.

I'm picturing the sort of off camera "stay on script" signals a Fox producer might give an anchor during these segments—furiously making a cross with their two index fingers, perhaps.
Posted by Dougsf on July 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM · Report this
Mudede, you complicate the simple and simplify the complex, no offense meant, though!

For Black-Americans to rise the same as Anglos, they need only be as criminally corrupt, that's all!

Look at Vernon Jordan, Henry Louis Gates, et al. (Clarence Thomas, etc.)

The corrupt don't rise 'cause they work harder, simply lacking in empathy, integrity, ethics, and using diabolical means, they soar!

Sarnoff didn't invent the TV, nor FM (radio), he simply stole them!

We see this behavior again and again and again.

Sears didn't invent the ratchet wrench, they simply stole it.

That professor didn't invent the laser originally, he simply stole it from his grad student who did!

Buckminster Fuller didn't invent that geometric form he's known for, he simply stole it, and the patent court later awarded that patent to its rightful inventor!

Posted by sgt_doom on July 29, 2013 at 5:23 PM · Report this
Posted by sgt_doom on July 29, 2013 at 5:27 PM · Report this
Wow. Thanks Charles. It's been a while since I've watched Fox News, and this really puts things in perspective. The interviewer is a total asshole. She is an ignorant, stubborn asshole who is simple reiterating her stupid, ignorant point over and over. Aslan keeps his cool and counters her ridiculous arguments over and over, but she keeps repeating her stupid argument. It is like a medieval town idiot grilling Einstein. She learns nothing, she only repeats the "talking points" and poor Aslan has to spend almost ten minutes trying to keep his cool while answering idiotic, repetitive questions.

Interesting theory, Charles, but maybe she is just stupid, like most of the folks on Fox. Maybe she is so set in her ways that she can't open her eyes. Fox is thrilled that they found a nice looking black woman to spout such nonsense (they seem to have enough blondes now). I agree, though, that she is encouraged to be feisty, but that is just Fox. If she isn't an idiot, then she is a really good actor, and probably has trouble sleeping at night.
Posted by Ross on July 29, 2013 at 5:32 PM · Report this
Oh, and this interview makes The Colbert Report seem sincere (rather than a parody).
Posted by Ross on July 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM · Report this
Someone tell her "that begs the question" is not synonymous with "I don't understand why..."

Posted by jnonymous on July 29, 2013 at 6:08 PM · Report this
Goldy 10
When people tell me that I'm not a real journalist, it's interviews like this that make me want to agree.
Posted by Goldy on July 29, 2013 at 7:17 PM · Report this
@7 no the interviewer is intelligent. But as a Fox employee, her task is to make the book "anti-Christian". This a prime example of capitalist wage slavery, subordinating the worker to the needs of the capitalist!
Posted by pat L on July 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM · Report this
Well played, Charles.
Posted by Morosoph on July 29, 2013 at 7:37 PM · Report this
Wow Aslan, way to keep your head and come out of that sounding intelligent, thorough, academic, non-biased...etc

Posted by tempo36 on July 29, 2013 at 7:41 PM · Report this
Sandiai 14
Great "reporting": We didn't even get to hear what the argument was ABOUT.
Posted by Sandiai on July 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM · Report this
seatackled 15
TPM reports that she's Fox's religion correspondent.

I wikipediaed her. Turns out she's also a concert pianist, which gives her something to talk to Condolleeza Rice about at those Christmas parties, and she plays the music on Huckabee's show. (That would be Mike Huckabee, who as governor of Arkansas, pardoned a murdered who then came to Washington State to murder four sheriff's deputies, as many will recall.)
Posted by seatackled on July 29, 2013 at 8:21 PM · Report this
Catherwood 16
@9, oh, preach it, brother (or sister).

But I fear it's too late: even goddam sports-desk anchors are using it the wrong goddam way all the goddam time. A perfectly good, useful phrase, shot to shit.
Posted by Catherwood on July 29, 2013 at 9:23 PM · Report this
Tacoma Traveler 17
What a difficult issue to address.

I myself distrust both christianity and islam. I don't think the author was anti-christian, but I do think the interviewer wanted him to be. Why is pretty clear. She distrusts islam too.

For me, I don;t trust any religion that teaches it's followers to kill gay people like myself. I consider Fred Phelps and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to be equally batshit.

So this guy's book, which claims that jesus existed at all, which i personally don;t think is true, is something I would have critiqued as well.

Does that make me a bigot? Does it make me a bigot that I think any religion that suggests I should be publicly executed is something objectionable? Or does it just mean that I don;t want a crazy religious person, whether they prefer mosques or churches, to kill me? or does it make me a bigot that I'm an atheist who doesn't think there ever was a jesus?

This lady probably doesn't distrust islam for the same reasons I do. No doubt, she'd have nasty things to say about me too. We obviously don't have the same politics. We're both reds, but her red is republican and mine is another shade of red altogether.

Reza seemed nice, at least, and this lady was very nasty to him. But regardless of their demeanor, I still think both of them are wrong. And I think both of them would probably tell me that I ought to be killed.
Posted by Tacoma Traveler on July 29, 2013 at 10:46 PM · Report this
Unlike when SLOG dismisses the opinion of each and every Republican even when logically correct.

Keep up the hypocrisy guys.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on July 29, 2013 at 11:26 PM · Report this
Knat 19
She acted exactly as she was told to act by her Fox superiors: antagonistic, belittling, dismissive, and to stray from any real discussion of the contents of the book as far and as often as possible.

@18
SLOG is dismissive of the existence of unicorns too, for all the same reasons.
Posted by Knat on July 30, 2013 at 1:34 AM · Report this
Matt Hickey 20
@17 The historicity of Jesus isn't itself something that is more or less a thing -- there is a lot of evidence that the guy existed. What's up for debate is that whole "son of God" thing.
Posted by Matt Hickey http://www.matthickey.com on July 30, 2013 at 1:58 AM · Report this
Matt Hickey 21
*"is itself". I blame vodka.
Posted by Matt Hickey http://www.matthickey.com on July 30, 2013 at 1:59 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 22
@ 20 is correct. Jesus was a real human being. Nearly everything Christian claim about him has no historical evidence, but he did live and created big enough waves that he was noticed and recorded by the authorities.
Posted by Matt from Denver on July 30, 2013 at 5:27 AM · Report this
California Kid 23
@18, I have yet to see that happen. Not Slog being dismissive, but rather a Republican being logically correct. Least not in the past 20 years.
Posted by California Kid on July 30, 2013 at 8:24 AM · Report this
2:17 "It begs the question, can a muslim be a jew? and if so, are they going to hell?"

3:54 "Let me read what your idiot haters have to say, fuck you"
Posted by michael bell on July 30, 2013 at 8:31 AM · Report this
Most Peeps Are Assholes 25
Wow. That woman is incredibly stupid.
Posted by Most Peeps Are Assholes on July 30, 2013 at 8:54 AM · Report this
gttim 26
I wonder how long the interview would have to go on before Aslan says: "Listen you stupid bitch, I have a mother-fucking PhD! I have forgotten more shit about Jesus than you ever learned at your backwards, youth-minister-molesting-children, evangelical, backwater church!"
Posted by gttim on July 30, 2013 at 9:07 AM · Report this