Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Federal Same-Sex Marriage Benefits At the Stroke of a Pen

Posted by on Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:42 PM

A reader writes...

DOMA has been struck down but that doesn’t ensure equal benefits for all same-sex married couples. Because federal agencies use different standards to determine who is married—some use a “place of residence” standard and others use a “place of celebration” standard—many SSM couples who are married in one state but residing in a state where same-sex marriage is prohibited won’t be eligible for many federal benefits. President Obama can change all of this at the stroke of a pen by issuing an executive order mandating a uniform place of celebration standard. This would mean that, effectively, everyone in the country would be able to get a federally recognized same-sex marriage and all attendant federal rights and responsibilities.

Here’s my Whitehouse.org petition asking the president to issue that executive order.

I'm just some nameless internet nobody, but I was hoping you could promote the petition.

Happy to help. The petition, once again, is here. I've already signed it. It's your turn.

Will in Seattle 1
Very true. Good idea.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM · Report this
Knat 2
This likewise nameless internet nobody has also signed.
Posted by Knat on June 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM · Report this
Knat 3
Also, I love the notion that the guy proposed, that you just retweeted (the tweet from which I apparently can't link to directly due to formatting constraints or my own lack of knowledge).

You think they'd actually give you a big gold medal to wear from your S&M vest if you became mayor of... I guess the world?
Posted by Knat on June 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM · Report this
In the time it took me to log in and sign, over 30 other signatures were added. Great idea.
Posted by SeattleKim on June 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM · Report this
yelahneb 5
Done and Facebooked!
Posted by yelahneb http://www.strangebutharmless.com on June 26, 2013 at 1:12 PM · Report this
Signed, Facebooked and Tweeted.
Posted by LMcGuff http://holyoutlaw.livejournal.com/ on June 26, 2013 at 1:13 PM · Report this
Signed & facebooked. Right now it is mainly signatures from the pacific northwest but let's see if we can expand it.
Posted by wxPDX on June 26, 2013 at 1:41 PM · Report this
smajor82 8
Signed it.

LW: The self deprecating bit at the end wasn't necessary. I'm sure you're just as valuable as a human being as everyone else (even our sad little troll who refers to its sad little self as 'we'). And your petition is great.

Unless being degraded turns your crank, in which case, "yeah, you're a nobody, you pathetic little terd"
Posted by smajor82 on June 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM · Report this
Dr. Z 9
Signed
Posted by Dr. Z on June 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM · Report this
The Max 10
Signed and Facebooked in Columbia, South Carolina. Yee-hah, y'all. Makes me wanna put on my 54th Massachusetts Lt's uniform, sing The Battle Hymn of the Republic, and steal that fuckin' hate-flag off the State House grounds. But they got a big mean ole State Trooper parked about 10 feet from the flagpole 24/7.
Posted by The Max on June 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM · Report this
Note that you need to be registered in order to sign. The site doesn't make that obvious.
Posted by EricaP on June 26, 2013 at 2:05 PM · Report this
Tracy 12
Signed and facebooked.

@8, You made me chuckle. Thanks.
Posted by Tracy on June 26, 2013 at 2:53 PM · Report this
@11 never mind, yes it does.
Posted by EricaP on June 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM · Report this
lolorhone 14
Signed! Let's clear away the bureaucratic bullshit!
Posted by lolorhone on June 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM · Report this
Hey I'm another random internet nobody, but I also started a petition the other day to allow Binational couples a faster path to being reunited than the normal Fiancé(e)/spouse visa processes which can end up taking a year or more before entry to the US is permitted. See petition here: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitio…
I will admit that my petition isn't well written and I should have specified that such a program should be designated for those couples who have either already applied or those couples who could meet certain established requirements, ex: having been legally married and forced to reside abroad or legally married and unable to sponsor their partner's visa. Anyhow, I still think it's worth signing and getting a response. Thanks!
Posted by tomsbolivar on June 26, 2013 at 4:22 PM · Report this
I will admit that my petition isn't that well written and I should have specified that such a program should be designated for those couples who have either already applied or those couples who could meet certain established requirements, ex: having been legally married and forced to reside abroad or legally married and unable to sponsor their partner's visa. Anyhow, I still think it's worth signing so we can get a response from the executive. Thanks!
Posted by tomsbolivar on June 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM · Report this
Sandiai 17
Another signature from the East Coast.
Posted by Sandiai on June 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM · Report this
Sandiai 18
I also signed tom bolivar's petition, @16, which seemed well-written to me.
Posted by Sandiai on June 26, 2013 at 5:58 PM · Report this
Signed and facebooked in IL
Posted by Occasional Reader on June 26, 2013 at 7:36 PM · Report this
Thank you, Dan, for all you have done to help us get to where we are today.
Posted by GerardDickson on June 26, 2013 at 8:05 PM · Report this
Signed and Facebooked from Austin, TX. Yes, Texas. But it's Austin, so not that shocking.
Posted by TXMom on June 26, 2013 at 8:06 PM · Report this
This heterosexual and her husband have also signed. We don't Facebook, we leave that to the grandkids. Dan - congratulations to you and Terry on today's decisions, and to all of your followers who made this happen.
Posted by vanterri on June 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM · Report this
Dan,

Thanks for your support. We've got a Facebook page up and running now to help publicize the petition, at https://www.facebook.com/StateOfCelebrat…. We're also on Twitter at https://twitter.com/StOfCelebration.

We're at 1,907 signatures at the time of this post, and the number keeps rising. Everyone, please share and support this cause!
Posted by State of Celebration on June 27, 2013 at 12:51 AM · Report this
Dan,

Posted by State of Celebration on June 27, 2013 at 12:53 AM · Report this
Not to be a negative Nancy, but aren't at least some Federal agencies compelled to look to the state of residence by statute? If so, it would take an act of congress to change those agencies and make federal benefits consistent across state lines...
Posted by esperando on June 27, 2013 at 6:08 AM · Report this
@25

Some are, and some aren't. The Department of Veterans' Affairs, for example, has a statutory definition, but the IRS (as best I can tell) doesn't. I am currently working on a list of agencies (and attendant rights and recognitions) that the executive order could influence.
Posted by StateOfCelebration on June 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM · Report this
I just tried to sign, but the page failed to load. What gives? (Let's hope that this means that there's too much traffic!)
Posted by Sesquipedal on June 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM · Report this
@Thanks for all your hard work STATE, please let us know what you find about statutory determinations. In the meantime, I've signed your petition and am promoting it on my Facebook page.
Posted by esperando on June 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM · Report this