and Drunks

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Four Years Ago Today....

Posted by on Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Screen_shot_2013-06-25_at_1.34.57_PM.png
  • Jason Huntley, Breakfast at Neverland

...Michael Jackson dropped dead, immediately bumping the few-hours-earlier death of Farrah Fawcett off the front page.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it (and I can't take Michael Jackson dying again).

Also, I cannot love Jason Huntley's MJ-in-kids'-cereal portrait more. Fuller size here.

This news that he hadn't had REM sleep in 60 days needs to be a bigger story. His sleeping problems explain a lot of his odd behavior, rather than the implosion of a (perceived) weirdo
Posted by six five on June 25, 2013 at 1:47 PM · Report this
I mean even this picture is an inside joke that he was a pedophile. Why does it have to be in "children's cereal". What makes that children's cereal? Why is it not just cereal?

yeah
Posted by six five on June 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM · Report this
but the kid in him loves the frosted side!!
Posted by Rowlf on June 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM · Report this
(loved)
Posted by Rowlf on June 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM · Report this
DOUG. 5
I remember where I was when I heard Michael Jackson died, which is kind of pathetic.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on June 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM · Report this
very bad homo 6
Truly one of the best Stranger covers of all time.
Posted by very bad homo on June 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 7
@ 2, is that a serious question, or are my internet irony-and-sarcasm detectors on the blink?
Posted by Matt from Denver on June 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM · Report this
David Schmader 8
2: Because the pastel sugar-bombs Huntley used in his portrait are cereals chemically engineered to appeal to children (much like Michael Jackson).

Lucky Charms, Fruity Pebbles, etc = children's cereals.
Grape Nuts, shredded wheat = not children's cereals.
Cheerios = jury's out.
Posted by David Schmader on June 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM · Report this
This cover was a weak ripoff of Marcus Harvey's 1995 painting of British child murderer Myra Hindley. The original is a large gray-scale painting done entirely in children's hand prints.

this is weak bullshit.
Posted by Chris Jury http://www.thebismarck.net on June 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 10
@9 is right. Pictures of people's faces made out of smaller component parts are the sole intellectual product of Myra Hindley's mind. No one had ever done anything like that before, and any picture of a face made of things owes a debt of gratitude to Hindley.

WEAK BULLSHIT, INDEED!
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on June 25, 2013 at 3:53 PM · Report this
@10- you need to learn to read, friend. The painting was done by Harvey. The conceptual element of making a portrait of a victimizer from smaller individual elements reminiscent of the victims is a pretty specific thing to rip off, especially as the portrait was probably the most famous piece of art in the world in 1997. But whatever.
Posted by Chris Jury http://www.thebismarck.net on June 25, 2013 at 4:41 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 12
jackson's death makes me feel the way most seattleites profess to feel about professional sports.

Posted by Max Solomon on June 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM · Report this
mikethehammer 13
Oh gimmee a break. If there's some weak bullshit on this thread it's @8's proclamation that the "jury's out" on Cheerios being a kid's cereal. Cheerios! Which needed a full tablespoon of sugar ladled upon it to be even remotely palatable to my 7 year old self.

WEAKBULLSHIT!!!
Posted by mikethehammer on June 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM · Report this
Four years ago?! My god, time flies. I remember I was surfing the web at the Downtown library, scouring articles as the news broke.

I don't know if Slog existed back then.
Posted by floater on June 25, 2013 at 7:46 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 15
@11 - Learn to suck my dick. Art is derivative. You're getting upset because someone made a piece reminiscent of another piece you've seen. Simmer the fuck down.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on June 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM · Report this