Thursday, June 20, 2013

Tacoma Should Name a Park After Dune Creator Frank Herbert

Posted by on Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM

The News Tribune says:

Park Commissioner Erik Hanberg and Daniel Rahe, a Tacoma landmarks commissioner and editor in chief of the online magazine Post Defiance (postdefiance.com), have started a campaign to name the park for a famous Tacoman that most people don’t know is a Tacoman.

Frank Herbert is the author of the fabulously popular series of science fiction novels based on the fantastical desert planet called Arrakis, or “Dune.” Herbert, who died in 1986, won the two top awards for sci-fi writers — the Nebula and the Hugo. His books are the basis for both the 1984 David Lynch film starring Kyle MacLachlan and the 2000 mini series staring William Hurt.

I am absolutely in favor of this. Herbert's Dune series is rightfully popular with sci-fi fans, but it's also an often-overlooked work of Northwest literature. Naming the park after Herbert would be an effortless way for Tacoma to raise his name recognition as a Northwest author. You should read Hanberg's whole great post about Herbert's relationship to Tacoma and why this park would be a good idea over at the Post Defiance.

Will in Seattle 1
Totally agree.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM · Report this
stirwise 2
Perhaps my status as a non-native is clouding my brain, but I can't read "Tacoman" without reading it as "taco man." So now I want the park to be named after some legendary, but heretofore unknown, taco man.
Posted by stirwise on June 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM · Report this
Zebes 3
Going to echo stirwise @2.

Taco man. Taco man. Taco man.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on June 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM · Report this
I had no idea. +1
Posted by -J on June 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 5
Oh! My post in "So I GotThis Baby Bird..." was so timely...allow me to copy and paste:

"If it IS a starling you must take this opportunity to raise it, train it and return it to the Starling Community as a sleeper agent...or perhaps as a revolutionary who will take down this evil empire and bring peace and unity to all the bird nations?

Once hated and despised, starlings will now rise as benevolent champions of all bird-kind! They will call this starling "Muad'Dib" (as all starlings are huge fans of Dune, though usually cheering on House Harkonnen...citation N/A)."

So ya. I think you've got the starlings vote on this whole park naming thing...
Posted by ArtBasketSara on June 20, 2013 at 2:49 PM · Report this
T 6
@2 Same. It's really the only good thing about living in Tacoma.
Posted by T on June 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM · Report this
Big Matt G 7
@2 "Doin' the things a taco can!"
Posted by Big Matt G on June 20, 2013 at 2:56 PM · Report this
johnny_blvd 8
++ on park

+++ on taco man
Posted by johnny_blvd on June 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM · Report this
fletc3her 9
I also had no idea so a park is a nice idea.

And yes, I wish the taco man would visit my house. I am hungry.
Posted by fletc3her on June 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM · Report this
Tacoma should also name a landfill after Legends of Dune creator Brian Herbert.
Posted by Minneapolitan on June 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM · Report this
treacle 11
Herbert was a taco-man? Who knew? Proves that great minds love good food, and that maybe there is still hope for Tacoma, man.
Posted by treacle on June 20, 2013 at 3:09 PM · Report this
I am so excited to learn this! What an awesome idea. Now if the park could just have some sort of underground tunnel system, and a large pestle-type object...
Posted by -ink on June 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 13
Stillsuits ftw!
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 14
why not? fuckin' do it.

and have Dune-themed sculptures: a Gom Jabbar. a Guild Navigator, etc.
Posted by Max Solomon on June 20, 2013 at 3:27 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 15
God damn, I need some tacos.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on June 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM · Report this
Foghorn Leghorn 16
So wait, he gets a park in Tacoma because he was born there? Because I thought he lived in Port Townsend.
Posted by Foghorn Leghorn on June 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM · Report this
stirwise 17
@16 - It's a bit like how all the street signs in Springfield MA have Dr Seuss characters on them because he was born there, but he actually lived his adult life in La Jolla, CA.
Posted by stirwise on June 20, 2013 at 4:11 PM · Report this
He also used to live in Seattle. On QA.
Worked for the P-I.
Posted by David Sucher on June 20, 2013 at 4:37 PM · Report this
Gus 19
@16: And, by living somewhere other than Tacoma, Frank Herbert achieved the greatest aspiration of anyone born in Tacoma -- leaving. Which along with his books, makes him a quite accomplished Taco-man.

Where is he buried? They should dig him back and bury him in the park to tell the world "Once a Taco-man, always a Taco-man! There is no escape!"
Posted by Gus on June 20, 2013 at 4:40 PM · Report this
Rev. Adam McKinney 20
As a Tacoman, I support this idea. But I'd also love a Richard Brautigan park. I would rather read "Trout Fishing in America" than "Dune" any day.
Posted by Rev. Adam McKinney http://weeklyvolcano.com on June 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM · Report this
Teslick 21
Agreed, a park for Frank, and unlike 10, I wouldn't insult landfills that way. Find a dairy for Brian.
Posted by Teslick on June 20, 2013 at 7:30 PM · Report this
Big Sven 22
I love Frank Herbert, but when you say that Dune is an "often-overlooked work of Northwest literature," that means there is a Northwest literature that is uniquely northwesternian. Given that the book is a metaphor for the founding of Saudi Arabia that takes place a bone dry planet, how is this informed by the northwestern experience or culture?
Posted by Big Sven http://onedatapoint.blogspot.com/ on June 20, 2013 at 9:48 PM · Report this
Big Sven 23
ps- if there is a Northwestern Literature, I would like to nominate Ursula K Le Guin is its high priestess. Thanks.
Posted by Big Sven http://onedatapoint.blogspot.com/ on June 20, 2013 at 9:49 PM · Report this
He'd show up on Tacoma and encourage budding writers. Would that I had any talent for that.

He did write at least one "Pacific Northwest" book: Soul Catcher. I liked it a lot in my teens.

Posted by david on June 20, 2013 at 10:29 PM · Report this
Since when do any of you care about what happens in Tacoma? Screw you. We'll do what we want.
Posted by tacomagirl on June 20, 2013 at 10:43 PM · Report this
Big Sven 26
@24: Cool. Thanks. I'll look up "Soul Catcher."
Posted by Big Sven http://onedatapoint.blogspot.com/ on June 21, 2013 at 6:43 PM · Report this