Thursday, June 6, 2013

Walmart Turns Workers Into Welfare Queens

Posted by on Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Go read this infuriating story in Mother Jones:

Walmart's wages and benefits are so low that many of its employees are forced to turn to the government for aid, costing taxpayers between $900,000 and $1.75 million per store, according to a report released last week by congressional Democrats.

... The company also happens to elegantly epitomize the divide between the top and bottom in America: the collective wealth of the six Waltons equals the combined wealth of 48.8 million families on the other end of the economic spectrum. The average Walmart worker making $8.81 per hour would have to work for 7 million years to acquire the Walton family's current wealth.

Fucking Walmart.

merry 1
Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

I have never set foot in a Walmart and I never, ever, ever will. Fuck them, indeed.
Posted by merry on June 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM · Report this
nicholaus 2
This is not news, Wal-Mart actually has management who guide employees in how to apply for government aid.
Posted by nicholaus on June 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM · Report this
very bad homo 3
Oh, come on. 7 million years isn't so bad.
Posted by very bad homo on June 6, 2013 at 4:17 PM · Report this
south downtown 4
micro-housing, fast food, and if it ain't wal-mart screwing workers, try a Target or any other big box. welcome to our future.

Posted by south downtown on June 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 5
And yet, YET Americans flock to Wal-Mart for cheap stuff. It's a two way street. Fucking Americans for buying at Wal-mart. Smooch to you Ms. Merry #1 for not buying there.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on June 6, 2013 at 4:30 PM · Report this
sperifera 6
@1 - I've only entered one. And just to go piss. Fuck Walmart, indeed.
Posted by sperifera on June 6, 2013 at 4:38 PM · Report this
fletc3her 7
What @2 said. I understand they actually help employees sign up for state healthcare and other aid.

Though I must admit I have heard similar stories about much less hateful institutions as well including head start and freedom works. You don't get to work for the summer, but we'll show you how to sign up for unemployment!
Posted by fletc3her on June 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM · Report this
wingedkat 8
I was opposed to Walmart for a long time thanks to the way it would open up in rural areas, undercut existing stores, then raise prices after eliminating all the competition.

After a certain point, I gave up, feeling like it was a lost cause (and recognizing I had no where else to shop.)

Well, goodbye Walmart and hello Amazon! At least FedEX and the Post office pay a living wage.
Posted by wingedkat on June 6, 2013 at 5:04 PM · Report this
Frank Blethen's vodka distiller 9
The Walton Family is among the wealthiest in America. They can certainly afford to pay their employee's a decent wage.
Posted by Frank Blethen's vodka distiller on June 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM · Report this
mr. herriman 10
I've shopped at a Walmart exactly once, when I was stranded in E WA in need of some emergency supplies. I grumbled and cursed every second of it because I so hated being in that position. But I do go to Target sometimes, or Fred Meyer, when it's time to stock up on paper towels and laundry soap and what have you. Is it really just as bad? I know it's bad, but I'm hoping it's less bad.
Posted by mr. herriman on June 6, 2013 at 7:21 PM · Report this
Is Walmart paying less than minimum wage?

The bigger issue here is not that Walmart is paying so little, but that the government does not require that workers be paid a living wage.
Posted by TechBear on June 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM · Report this
Twilight Sparkle 12
11 Walmart can ruin even that, by hiring at less than full time, thereby sidestepping benefits.
Posted by Twilight Sparkle on June 6, 2013 at 8:48 PM · Report this
I haven't set foot in Walmart in either 10 or 15 years (can't remember what the big box store was that I visited on that one camping trip). At this point I don't even think of it as a place to shop, it's just a big hunk of masonry taking up space for some reason on the highway out of town.
Posted by Prettybetsy on June 6, 2013 at 9:02 PM · Report this
Yes Republicans, these Walmart employees are the 47% you are complaining about. Hard working employees whose employers tell them to apply for Government aid, rather then pay them a living wage. God forbid you ask those "job creators" to pay taxes to pay for the benefits they are telling their employees to apply for.

Republicans, borrow and spend.
Posted by Machiavelli was framed on June 6, 2013 at 9:14 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 15
I will not even buy ammunition from the china supporting, government tit sucking slavers at Walmart.

I don't think I have even been in a walmart in at least a decade.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on June 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM · Report this
lowlytootle 16
@8 FedEx pays well, but FedEx Office does not pay its employees a living wage. For the record, and because I am still irked about that.
Posted by lowlytootle http://hollowearthradio.org/programs/134 on June 6, 2013 at 9:27 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 17
Is this National Old News Day? This and Paul's NSA post immediately below seem solidly based in the Shit Widely Reported Several Years Ago category. I see there's a new report, and all, so they've, what, recrunched the numbers?
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on June 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM · Report this
We can change the world by just repeating facts. More numbers! More data! Keep saying shit everyone knows! This time it's sure to change something!

Also, maybe if we just make some individual choices not to shop there, that will finally change a thing we don't like!
Posted by Agrippa on June 7, 2013 at 12:51 AM · Report this
Yay for using Reaganite/McGinnist Fake 80s racial stereotypes to shit on Walmart (which is almost a worthy enough cause).

There was never a such thing as 'welfare queens'. But by all means, use age old antiblack stereotypes created by the racist right and slithered into the modern liberal left to attack Wal mart.

Im sure those black women labeled as welfare queens as they work 2 jobs 50 hours a week dont mind if you use their negative portrayal to get your point across.
Posted by araucania on June 7, 2013 at 5:16 AM · Report this
@19 - It certainly is worthwhile to point out the wide discrepancy between free market claims, and the common practice of corporate welfare. Low prices for cheap crap and the Waltons are effectively subsidized by our taxes when their employees need public assistance to meet basic needs. It's not a stereotype, it's reality.
Posted by anon1256 on June 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 21
What's the big deal? You get a half-hour lunch break after 3.5 million years.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on June 7, 2013 at 9:00 AM · Report this
Posted by Urgutha Forka on June 7, 2013 at 9:09 AM · Report this
nicholaus 23
@21 Thank you for making me choke on my coffee.
Posted by nicholaus on June 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM · Report this
MacBastard 24
@10 Fred Meyer employees are union, if that makes you feel better. They are represented by UFCW 21 in this area.
Posted by MacBastard on June 7, 2013 at 5:41 PM · Report this