and Drunks

Friday, May 17, 2013

Where the Information Hangs Free and Easy in the Wind, Whether You Like It Or Not

Posted by on Fri, May 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM

The most honest piece to be published from Google's I/O Conference this week is a brief, satirical piece of science fiction published in Wired.

“Hello.”

The soft, froggy voice startled me. I turned around to face an approaching figure. It was Larry Page, naked, save for a pair of eyeglasses.

“Welcome to Google Island. I hope my nudity doesn’t bother you. We’re completely committed to openness here. Search history. Health data. Your genetic blueprint. One way to express this is by removing clothes to foster experimentation. It’s something I learned at Burning Man,” he said. “Here, drink this. You’re slightly dehydrated, and your blood sugar is low. This is a blend of water, electrolytes, and glucose.”

Go read the whole thing.

balderdash 1
You sure have a hate-on for Google lately, Paul.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on May 17, 2013 at 12:15 PM · Report this
Funny stuff in there. I especially liked, "If democracy worked so well, if a majority public opinion made something right, we would still have Jim Crow laws and Google Reader."

The last two sentences are great too.
Posted by beef rallard on May 17, 2013 at 12:41 PM · Report this
delirian 3
In this case they deserve it. Larry Page is doing some rich-splaining (is there another word?) to the rest of letting us know that our medical privacy concerns are not that important and that only good things will happen to us if we reveal all of our medical issues to the world. He lives in the world of billionaires where none of them has ever been discriminated against in housing, employment, or anything else due to a medical or mental health condition.
Posted by delirian on May 17, 2013 at 12:59 PM · Report this
Dougsf 4
That was solid.
Posted by Dougsf on May 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM · Report this
Paul already is the crankiest old man with an outsized love for anachronism
Posted by No Excuses on May 17, 2013 at 1:44 PM · Report this
Canadian Nurse 6
I love Mat Honan. This was brilliant.
Posted by Canadian Nurse on May 19, 2013 at 5:37 AM · Report this