Wednesday, May 15, 2013

What Do You Think of the Riddick Trailer?

Posted by on Wed, May 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Pitch Black was a fun little pulpy creature feature. I think I tried to watch The Chronicles of Riddick once, but I certainly didn't get all the way through. Now, nine years later, the third movie starring Vin Diesel as Riddick is about to be released. It's titled Riddick. Here's a trailer:

Is it me, or did that trailer feel like five times longer than it really was?

Max Solomon 1
wasn't he king of the necromongers at the end of the last one?
Posted by Max Solomon on May 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM · Report this
Coming soon . . . too soon.
Posted by RonK, Seattle on May 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM · Report this
Doctor Memory 3
"Pitch Black" was cute, stupid fun. "Chronicles of Riddick" was a strong contender for the worst movie I have ever paid money to see in a theater. Fool me once...
Posted by Doctor Memory http://blahg.blank.org on May 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM · Report this
I saw a brief shot of a Furyan wonder-pooch, so I'm in. Those were the best part of the Chronicles of Riddick.
Posted by MLM on May 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM · Report this
Dougsf 5
"So watch out for surprise attacks." Well, the writing is awesome.

Looks like the company charged with making that trailer had very little finished footage to stretch into a two-and-half-minute deliverable.
Posted by Dougsf on May 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM · Report this
I walked out of the theater feeling like I'd enjoyed "Chronicles of Riddick," but I had no idea what, if anything, the plot was about. And for the life of me I couldn't tell you a single thing that happened in that film, now, except the scene where he kills a guy with a tin cup.

I sorta assumed it was aimed at people who had read the books, which I hadn't.
Posted by Orv on May 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM · Report this
zivilisierter Wurm 7
Vin Diesel is actually a gigantic D&D nerd, and a remarkably well-spoken dude. Shame he stars in such consistently shitty movies.
Posted by zivilisierter Wurm http://peregrinari.tumblr.com/ on May 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM · Report this
balderdash 8
Where is the poll option for "I am really excited for how gloriously bad this is going to be and I cannot WAIT to see it"?

WHERE IS IT
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on May 15, 2013 at 1:23 PM · Report this
spamky 9
Vid Diesel was in Saving Private Ryan, so not everything he touches turns to shit.
Posted by spamky on May 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM · Report this
Knat 10
This movie franchise is venerated by my in-laws like Star Trek or Star Wars are by most mainstream nerds. I can't explain it, but it's true. That being the case, I expect to be hearing many a rant about how it's bullshit that Riddick isn't emperor of the Necromongers for this film (even though that would make this film a totally different tone than the rest of the series). Wikipedia says that Karl Urban should be in this reprising his role from Chronicles, but I don't see him anywhere here.

@7: I actually consider that an extra layer of enjoyment when watching his movies, knowing that the characters he plays onscreen are about as far away from his real-world personality as they could be.
Posted by Knat on May 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 11
I love this series. Read the sick, sick Freudian subtext. Read it.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on May 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM · Report this
Garfield 12
ditto what @6 said. I love Vin Diesel. I won't see it in the theater but it'll be entertaining when it gets to streaming.
Posted by Garfield on May 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM · Report this
Vin Diesel is just killing time until he gets the role he was born to play: a live-action version of Charlie Brown.
Posted by Orv on May 15, 2013 at 1:44 PM · Report this
sirkowski 14
I liked Chronicles for the worldbuilding.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on May 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM · Report this
Wicked Virgin 15
I'm in the same boat as others: I liked Pitch Black and hated Chronicles. This looks like a return to Pitch Black - almost as if they're ignoring the second movie. I'm willing to give it a chance.

As an aside: the animated short film and video game based on the movies were also pretty good. Fuckin' Chronicles, man...
Posted by Wicked Virgin http://goo.gl/nBxVY on May 15, 2013 at 2:16 PM · Report this
This looks like a Pitch Black redux.
Posted by Zach Annon on May 15, 2013 at 3:21 PM · Report this
bartlebee123 17
Yea, wasn't he a king the last movie? What the hell. Also, the aliens look a lot like... well, Aliens. I hate to say it but I doubt I'll be seeing this load of dog feces...
Posted by bartlebee123 on May 15, 2013 at 4:05 PM · Report this
I liked both movies, but I saw them on cable, so my expectations were not high. I was disappointed when I found out the character was based on a game, because I wanted to read the books!
Posted by BallardBoy on May 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 19
Re: King of the Necromongers- Either this is a prequel or they'll just gloss over him doing something like Riddick-esque like killing every single Necromonger.

Re: Pitch Black being better than Chronicles- Aesthetic judgments are inherently subjective, but you all have terrible taste. Chronicles of Riddick was a masterpiece of space fantasy. That final shot of Riddick on the throne with the only person he ever loved dead by his side...I get chills just thinking about it.

Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on May 15, 2013 at 6:48 PM · Report this
Haven't seen the movies, but the Chronicles of Riddick was an improbably good video game.

I do like Mr. Diesel; even on-screen he always seems quite a bit more self-aware than you would assume if you'd only read reviews written by critics who have 'muscles are bad' hard-coded into their rating systems.
Posted by robotslave on May 15, 2013 at 9:32 PM · Report this
CoR was bad D&D fanfic.
Posted by supergp on May 15, 2013 at 9:41 PM · Report this
This shows a lot more of the film than we saw in the teaser trailer, very Pitch Black like which has to be good news! Keeping my eye on http://www.riddick-movie.com for more news.
Posted by Riddick2013 on May 17, 2013 at 2:58 AM · Report this