Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Which Fox TV Series Looks Worse?

Posted by on Tue, May 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM

This morning, our pal Humpy told us about the seven trailers for upcoming new Fox shows. Just about all of those trailers are terrible. The only one that personally interests me, Almost Human, is basically Alien Nation with robots. But two of the trailers are exceptionally bad. Here's fish-out-of-water supernatural fairy tale cop show Sleepy Hollow:

And here's the Seth MacFarlane-produced white-dudes-behaving-badly sitcom Dads:

They're both so bad, in such different ways, that I can't tell which is worse. Can you?

Paul you done broked ya own survey
Posted by The CHZA on May 14, 2013 at 2:01 PM · Report this
You may be cooking the poll a bit, what with only one option being presented.
Posted by Warren Terra on May 14, 2013 at 2:02 PM · Report this
Now that I've watched the trailers: Sleepy Hollow looks like a bad, dumb show. There are lots of those. Dads looks like it makes me regret the human species.
Posted by Warren Terra on May 14, 2013 at 2:08 PM · Report this
They're both crap, but Sleepy Hollow is good-natured crap. And at least it's funny.
Posted by Prettybetsy on May 14, 2013 at 2:08 PM · Report this
Fenrox 5
Dads... just.... and.... like... you guys don't even know... it's regressive on all fronts, even video games.
Posted by Fenrox on May 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM · Report this
Machete 6
This is even better with only one button. But seriously, it's Dads.
Posted by Machete on May 14, 2013 at 2:11 PM · Report this
Sleepy Hollow almost has a TV movie quality to it especially with the casting. Seriously, its a who's who of B and C level actors.

Dad's is dumb because on top of everything else they work at a game dev.
Posted by No Excuses on May 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM · Report this
All I need to see is the name Seth MacFarlane to know that Dads is the worse show. Dads will be worse than Whitney, which was hideously, mind-numbingly awful and not-funny.
Posted by genevieve on May 14, 2013 at 2:13 PM · Report this
Nostradamus Jr. 9
both shows look amazing
Posted by Nostradamus Jr. on May 14, 2013 at 2:23 PM · Report this
casual racism + laugh track vs. casual racism + bad special effects + twenty year old star bucks jokes?

Yeah, Dads looks better. It's still shit, but maybe it'll be the new Big Bang Theory.

And I think Orlando Jones deserves better.
Posted by GermanSausage on May 14, 2013 at 2:35 PM · Report this
Last of the Time Lords 11
I think "Husbands" should get a shot at prime time.

Check it out on You Tube!!! GO TEAM CHEEKS!!!!
Posted by Last of the Time Lords on May 14, 2013 at 2:37 PM · Report this
What the hell are you doing Seth Green?!
Posted by algorhythm99 on May 14, 2013 at 2:42 PM · Report this
Where was the racism?

And @8 Whitney was not that bad, just your average sitcom not great. Same numbers as Community just not as rabid of fanbase.
Posted by Seattle14 on May 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM · Report this
Knat 15
I am astounded (and yet, somehow not surprised at the same time) that after watching Sleepy Hollow, Dads makes it look Shakespearean by comparison.
Posted by Knat on May 14, 2013 at 2:57 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 16
@13 - Ratings are a poor measure of the quality of a show, they only reflect the network's ability to sell it, which depends on far more than whether it's any good.

And really? Where was the racism? Did you watch the trailers?
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on May 14, 2013 at 2:58 PM · Report this
balderdash 17
Anything Seth MacFarlane touches is about as appealing to me as eye cancer. Which is also racist and sexist, somehow. Racist cancer. A tumor in your eye socket that chimp-hoots at women of color on the street. That is what I think of Seth MacFarlane's work.
Posted by balderdash http://introverse.blogspot.com on May 14, 2013 at 3:01 PM · Report this
very bad homo 18
I haven't watched a sitcom in at least 12 years...it's a dead format.
Posted by very bad homo on May 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 19
Times like this I am so glad I don't own a TV any more.

Sleepy Hollow looks lame, but my god, Dads looks truly horrifying. Chinese schoolgirl jokes? Really? Ugh.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on May 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM · Report this
Zebes 20
Didn't watch either trailer, didn't need to before voting. Sometimes all the evidence you need is...

Seth MacFarlane-produced white-dudes-behaving-badly sitcom
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on May 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 21
Dads. Oh. My.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on May 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM · Report this
Video game company (a TV first) and Seth Green? Feh. No contest, that one gets too many extra awesome points.
Posted by K on May 14, 2013 at 3:29 PM · Report this
"Dads" looks like possibly the worst thing ever made ever by anyone anywhere. And he really sucks at naming things, too.
Posted by g on May 14, 2013 at 3:30 PM · Report this
Simone 24
Both are bad. End of discussion for me.
Posted by Simone on May 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM · Report this
mikethehammer 26
I've never fucking understood laugh tracks. How they were ever thought to be even a decent idea on any level, let alone survived for as long as they have. I read a great slate.com review of one of those awful modern day "spoof" movies ('Scary Movie' or one of those utterly forgettable, interchangeable cash cows) and one of the DVD specific "special features" was a version of the movie with an overdubbed laugh track. The reviewer honestly figured that this was due to the jokes being so awful that there might be confusion as to when people were supposed to be feeling entertained.
Posted by mikethehammer on May 14, 2013 at 4:08 PM · Report this
@25, you forgot repeat projectile vomiting at the very thought of anything transgender. Which is, in retrospect, a Crying Game joke, but not really very funny.
Posted by g on May 14, 2013 at 4:33 PM · Report this
How does dads take such a good cast and waste them with such horrible dialogue? That show should be used in some kind of hollywood writing scared-straight program.
Posted by bitwise on May 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM · Report this
eastcoastreader 29
I couldn't even finish watching the Dads trailer is was so horrible
Posted by eastcoastreader on May 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM · Report this
I found Dads, to be hilarious, I think America will too. I'll add it to my current list of comedies, Big Bang Theory, Community, Arrested Development, and Modern Family.
Posted by Seattle14 on May 14, 2013 at 9:21 PM · Report this
@ 16 I did cmon a Chinese schoolgirl joke is not racism unless one is super sensitive like many people here seem to be. The left is right on a lot of things but needs to lighten up at time.
Posted by Seattle14 on May 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM · Report this
@ 16 I agree ratings aren't perfect but that how TV shows are measured right now.
Posted by Seattle14 on May 14, 2013 at 9:25 PM · Report this
alanw 33
I love all those Dads actors but my god that is the most unfunny thing I've seen in a long time.
Posted by alanw on May 15, 2013 at 2:03 AM · Report this
I have to assume that Green and Ribisi are appearing in Dads in lieu of serving time.

"So what will it be, either 5 years at Lompoc or 8-episodes of a MacFarlane sitcom?"
"Todd?"
"No, Seth."
"Shit."
Posted by dirge on May 15, 2013 at 6:42 AM · Report this
Merlin D. Bear 35
Mind you, I love McFarland, and I'm planning on being a regular at his ice water bar in Hell when we get there...but I think "Dads" was a result of a bet McFarland & Green made to see just how low they could go and still get greenlit and air time based on just their names.

And as for Sleepy Hollow? Depp did it better.
Posted by Merlin D. Bear on May 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM · Report this