Friday, May 10, 2013

Ed Murray has Three Days to Fundraise for Mayor

Posted by on Fri, May 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Click to enlarge this stupid good view.
  • The Stranger
  • Click to enlarge this stupid good view.
Last night, a few hundred barefoot and blazered men and women crowded into a condo rising 23 stories above Belltown to sing the praises of, and throw money at, Ed Murray. The wine was chilled. The strawberries were a touch unripe. Kennedy quotes flew through the air and the views were worth more than all my organs—including eggs!—combined.

The event felt like a party more than a fundraiser for Murray's mayoral campaign: People excitedly toasted R-74 as if it were yesterday's victory, instead of last year's. They toasted Murray and his track record in Olympia. They toasted his upcoming marriage to long-time partner Michael Shiosaki, which Murray announced will take place four days after the August 6 primary this year. They lavished praise on Murray in questionable metaphor: "He's an orb," one man told me. "He's on the fast track. He's the heavy favorite and he's running fast. This is what victory looks like."

They cuttingly dismissing his competitors: "Look at Bruce's endorsement list—it's basically every person of color who's lost a race in the last 10 years."

Ed Murray, basking in the glow of adoration.
  • The Stranger
  • Ed Murray, runaway orb.

And McGinn? "We can do better," became the refrain of the night, a refrain echoed by Rep. Cyrus Habib (D-Bellevue) and Murray himself: "On the streets around this condo, people sleep because they have nowhere else to sleep," Murray said while stumping to the crowd. "We can do better."

But as much as everyone loves a party, this was a fundraiser, and one an undercurrent of urgency that's been missing in the city's crowded clown-car of a mayor's race. You see, Murray has until midnight on Sunday to raise money for his mayoral campaign, after which he will turn back into a sweaty pumpkin known as Senator Ed Murray, a man tasked with drafting a new state budget with his colleagues around a $1.2 billion budget deficit.

Sen. Murray can't raise campaign funds while the legislature is in its 30-day session, and with only $117,430 in recorded donations, he's trailing behind Tim Burgess (who's raised $194,559), McGinn ($153,781), and Charlie Staadecker ($132,126).

The Seattle Ethics and Elections Commission releases its new contribution numbers for all the candidates today, so those numbers could soon change. Nevertheless, "We must raise at least twice as much as the other guys raise in a month," explained Murray's campaign manager, Sandeep Kaushik, last night. "So that's what we're going to do."

Baconcat 1
Murray, in a luxury condo, talking about homeless people, asking for people to give to him directly rather than those people sleeping on the street?

All this while stumping for maxed out contributions? And touting his record as someone who works regionally when Seattle's getting soaked on 520, SR99, transit funding and other things screwed by the legislature?

Welp.
Posted by Baconcat on May 10, 2013 at 10:00 AM · Report this
TomJohnsonJr 2
I'm so glad I didn't go. The apartment, though - the rooftop hot tub. And the fact that the host made his fortune being Bill Gates's personal assistant from day 1 at Microsoft.
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on May 10, 2013 at 10:12 AM · Report this
Yikes, did he really say that about Harrell? That's an avoidable comment in poor taste, to put it mildly.
Posted by grkle on May 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM · Report this
Don't worry Ed, you can still go after the coveted Venus Velasquez endorsement and all the gay people who have run and lost. Thanks for elevating the debate buddy! A model of regionalism, class and cooperation.
Posted by No thks bye on May 10, 2013 at 10:34 AM · Report this
@Baconcat, you're really going to criticize a politician for asking for campaign contributions? If that's your bar, you won't find many politicians that will meet it. I'm pretty sure that McGinn stumps for max-out contributions too...
Posted by c'mon girlfriend on May 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM · Report this
TomJohnsonJr 6
@3, Cienna wrote that an attendee said it, not Ed. Now that I think about it, I wish I'd gone just to meet her. I get so nervous and mouthy at fancy fundraisers it would have been the perfect time to make her acquaintance.
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on May 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM · Report this
@6 Ah, thanks for clarifying. I see that now.
Posted by grkle on May 10, 2013 at 10:53 AM · Report this
DOUG. 8
Orb is the horse that won the Kentucky Derby.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on May 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM · Report this
Sorry folks, but we need to keep Murray in the Senate in Olympia. That's the ideal place for his skills to shine.

We have options for leadership in Seattle; in the State Senate, not so much.
Posted by Citizen R on May 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM · Report this
McGinn has my vote. The other candidates criticism is unfounded, it reminds me of the GOP field's criticism of President Obama in 2012.

McGinn is the only hard hitting mayor we've had in this town, he's not afraid of a straight up fight, and that, in this hometown of mine, is pretty fucking rare.
Posted by scratchmaster joe on May 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM · Report this
11 Comment Pulled (Trolling) Comment Policy

Wow. Just. Wow. Apply aloe vera to that burn.

Posted by Juris on May 10, 2013 at 11:24 AM · Report this
@10 He's also the only one that has ardently fought for increasing light rail in the Seattle area, specifically West Seattle and Ballard.
Posted by neo-realist on May 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM · Report this
very bad homo 14
"We can do better" is an easy thing to say. Show us how.
Posted by very bad homo on May 10, 2013 at 11:52 AM · Report this
Your blowing it slog.

Whoever called Ed and Orb is either reading too many fantasy novels or has the Kentucky derby on their mind, either way it is a strange comment that didn't deserve to be written. The quote about Harrell, is in very poor taste and clearly not from Ed himself. Like the orb comment, the statement about Harrell is moronic, irrelevant, and shouldn't have even been acknowledge in this article.

Lastly, the bit about Ed turning back into a sweaty pumpkin is juvenile and completely unnecessary.

Posted by commentingwoot on May 10, 2013 at 1:00 PM · Report this
Cienna Madrid 16
@3, as @6 pointed out, Ed didn't say it, an attendee did.

@6, you should've come! And introduced yourself! I'm always looking for fun people to talk to at those events.
Posted by Cienna Madrid on May 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM · Report this
Cienna Madrid 17
@14, I know. I'm not really in love with the slogan, especially since it feels ripped off from the President.

I suggested, "Drop it like it's hot," but nobody listens to me.
Posted by Cienna Madrid on May 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM · Report this

Snarky, but pretty much accurate.
Posted by J.R. on May 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM · Report this
I am abhorred that a supporter of mine would make such a disparaging comment about Bruce Harrell and his supporters. I do not condone or agree with the statement and if I knew who had made that remark, I would give them their check back. This comment is not reflective of my campaign or my values and it is a grave disservice to Councilmember Harrell and the people who are supporting him.
Posted by Sen. Ed Murray on May 10, 2013 at 1:41 PM · Report this
Hey Ed, I think you were looking for the word "aghast" rather than "abhorred" Otherwise, good statement.
Posted by grammar guy on May 10, 2013 at 2:06 PM · Report this
DOUG. 21
Do we even know if Cienna got that Bruce Harrell comment right? She totally misunderstood the Orb reference, so I'm not so sure.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on May 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 22
Look, the problem is that everyone wants to be a Chief (Mayor) and nobody wants to be a tribal council member (City Council).

We all know what will happen in the primaries, but few amongst us are willing to admit it. The main problem for our fine St. Senator is that we all know it's ok to be gay and out and get married now - it's just not that big a deal in Seattle any more.

While I may have my choices - I have to admit it's great to see good people who actually do want to be Mayor (except for two of them, and Ed isn't in that two).
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on May 10, 2013 at 7:10 PM · Report this
Cienna's reporting of a random person's inappropriate comment doesn't really capture the evening. Though I can see how someone being "cuttingly dismissive" at a campaign rally would offend her delicate sensibilities. Oh wait, no I can't.
I'm not sure what her issue was with the strawberries or view that they would overshadow the more substantive comments made by people like Habib and Murray. His commitment to fighting homelessness, reforming our police force and improving transportation seemed kind of noteworthy. Especially since he has proven capable of delivering.
Also, Cienna, people are still clapping for marriage equality (even though it happened a full long year ago and not just yesterday) because it's a seriously big deal to people who are finally able to get married after years of working to make this a reality.
Posted by sall on May 10, 2013 at 7:14 PM · Report this