Monday, May 6, 2013

What Did You Do This Weekend?

Posted by on Mon, May 6, 2013 at 8:14 AM

You probably got out in the sun or went for a bike ride. Me? I bullied poor Sarah Palin.

RWNJ's and their RWNJ blogs have been blowing up my Twitter feed since I tweeted that out in my sleep on Saturday morning. Not my best work: the repetition of the word "now" annoys me, and instead of "Now seeing upside of oral cancers," I wish I had written, "Oral cancer approval ratings spike." But for the dimshits who might make it over to Slog today from Glennbeckistan... here's the standard definition of bullying: "Bullying has to satisfy three criteria: it has to be verbal or physical aggression, repeated over time, involving a power differential." I may have said something nasty about Sarah Palin—a lovely Christian lady who has never in her life said a single nasty thing about anybody—but I didn't bully her. I can't bully her. I pointed that out, which led to soon-to-be classic Twitter exchanges like this:

And this:

But these two were my favorite:

Because...

1367853086_tmp_palinbookscovers.jpg

Phoebe in Wallingford 1
God bless Sarah Palin. Whether you agree with her or not, one has to admire the passion and dedication she has for our nation. She will probably not run for office again, but she has inspired many to brave the nastiness of politics for the greater good of public service to our country.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on May 6, 2013 at 8:23 AM · Report this
tehjakers 2
Hahahahahahahaha
Posted by tehjakers on May 6, 2013 at 8:24 AM · Report this
True, @1. SP did prove to the world that it was possible to be stupid, hypocritical, a money grubber, and a liar and still run for public office.
Posted by StuckInUtah on May 6, 2013 at 8:31 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 4
@1: for once i think you're being ironic.
Posted by Max Solomon on May 6, 2013 at 8:32 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 5
"putting your picture on the front of your own "book" is lame. #FakeHumanBeing"

I'm amused that someone who likens themself to an existentialist philosopher is getting their panties in a twist over Sarah Palin. Classic case of her idiot fans who claim to be "readers" without any understanding or comprehension.
Posted by undead ayn rand on May 6, 2013 at 8:32 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 6
@1: You mean when she quit her governing job mid-term to make money on the book/lecture circut?

That passion and dedication to her nation?

She is passionate and dedicated to her purse, which she fattens by making feeble minded people think she is a dedicated and passionate patriot.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on May 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM · Report this
Not cool, never wish cancer on anyone.

I would have gone with "Now words will be the second nastiest thing coming out of her mouth".
Posted by Texans on May 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM · Report this
Glad to see you're not letting the turkeys get you down.

But, man! What a bunch of gobblers!
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on May 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 9
Dan, you're an asshole. That's hardly breaking news. So am I. Neither is that.

Sarah's one of the most likable people I've ever met. But Jeebus, she's dumb. I mean, bag-of-rocks dumb.

Oh well. What any of us thinks won't change the world anyway.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on May 6, 2013 at 8:39 AM · Report this
@7: Much better!
Posted by Dan Savage on May 6, 2013 at 8:47 AM · Report this
MacBastard 11
Noted: Phoebe in Wallingford, already high @8:23AM.
Posted by MacBastard on May 6, 2013 at 8:49 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 12
@10 actually, what Dan thinks has changed the world, q.v.It Gets Better Project.

But your other part is correct, what you think is inconsequential and useless.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on May 6, 2013 at 8:51 AM · Report this
seatackled 13
If Palin commits suicide, then it's bullying and I will tell Dan, "Shame." (No exclamation point.)
Posted by seatackled on May 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM · Report this
seatackled 14
Wait, one of the critics says putting your picture on the front of your own book is lame.

Didn't Palin's picture appear on the cover of her "own" book?
Posted by seatackled on May 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM · Report this
Most Peeps Are Assholes 15
If you spend 5 mins talking with her, you come away completely understanding how and why her kids turned out to be so trashy and such disappointments.
Posted by Most Peeps Are Assholes on May 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM · Report this
sperifera 16
@11 - That should read : "Already TOO high @ 8:23AM"

Seriously, one of the stupidest comments to ever come out of Wallingford...
Posted by sperifera on May 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM · Report this
seatackled 17
@14

Oh, after the jump.
Posted by seatackled on May 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM · Report this
Yeah, Dan, you weren't being a bully, you were being a dick. I don't know why people can't tell the difference. Commentators (including politicians) are dicks all the time. Sometimes they catch hell for it (and even lose their job) but it is not bullying.

The speech itself was fairly well written and presented. I think she was surprised (as I was) at how tepid the response was. She had some good lines and was expecting a big roar from the crowd but only got a few claps. She just isn't relevant anymore, even though she is probably as good a politician as ever. What I find so striking (and this is typical) is how hypocritical the speech is. She makes a good point about emotion -- maybe we shouldn't base our policies on it. But then she spends the rest of the speech making arguments that are based purely on emotion (gun control or restrictions on tobacco advertisement equal loss of freedom). To make matters worse, the emotion she (and fellow Republicans) so often evoke is an us versus them, tribal mentality. Such emotions are downright scary, if you know anything about history or world affairs.
Posted by Ross on May 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 19
i miss being high at 8:20 a.m.
Posted by Max Solomon on May 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM · Report this
Once again, "led," not "lead."
Posted by cheakamus on May 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 21
@12, no, IGBP didn't "change the world." But it's a small step. That's about the best any of us will ever manage before we fade into obscurity.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on May 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM · Report this
devinderry 22
Actually, I think the fact that Palin puts a picture of herself on her book covers supports the idea that its a "lame" thing to do. Sorry Dan.
Posted by devinderry on May 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM · Report this
despicable me 23
@ Fifty-Two-Eighty If you think the IGBP didn't "change the world", you need to watch some of the videos at itgetsbetter.org. There are thousands of testaments from young adults as to how much better their world and their lives got because of Dan and Terry and IGB.
Posted by despicable me on May 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM · Report this
DOUG. 24
What's the opposite of "aging gracefully"?
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on May 6, 2013 at 9:28 AM · Report this
TomJohnsonJr 25
@23, I think IGBP didn't change the world as he perceives it. That I can certainly believe.
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on May 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM · Report this
fletc3her 26
At least Sarah Palin helped popularize "ass clown".
Posted by fletc3her on May 6, 2013 at 9:32 AM · Report this
tedb310 27
@7' I agree with you sentiment on cancer. However, I think you have the nastiness ranking wrong. I would rather lick up her spit chew juice than listen to her talk.
Posted by tedb310 on May 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM · Report this
Fnarf 28
Hey, Dan, I'm not sure but I don't think that's really Soren Kierkegaard.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on May 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 29
Twitter appears to be an electronic pissing match arena.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on May 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 30
I actually think that Dan changed the world more with Santorum than with the It Gets Better project. Just my opinion.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on May 6, 2013 at 10:15 AM · Report this
@24 "meth addict"
Posted by Marrena on May 6, 2013 at 10:16 AM · Report this
On a side note, Palin's not aging well. It's like all her meat-beer-junk-food diet is catching up with her. I'm assuming she doesn't eat like a stereotypically health-conscious, Earth-conscious liberal. It'd be funny if she did.

Also, I think Phoebe is a blog thread masochist. That's why she says patently stupid stuff like that. Supreme Ruler might be the same way.
Posted by floater on May 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM · Report this
biffp 33
She's in Ann Coulter territory. Let her wither away. Don't give her a chance to remain relevant.
Posted by biffp on May 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM · Report this
Caribou Barbie. No comment, I just love saying Caribou Barbie.
Posted by kwodell on May 6, 2013 at 10:38 AM · Report this
Phoebe in Wallingford 35
@32: No, I am simply acknowledging credit where credit is due.
Posted by Phoebe in Wallingford on May 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM · Report this
very bad homo 36
Oh no, you've made a few Twitter enemies! I know how much their misspelled words must hurt you. :(
Posted by very bad homo on May 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 37
@35: Credit for what? Well, besides tanking the McCain candidacy, and sparing our country from another 4-8 years of GOP insanity in the White House.

Alright, I take it back, she is kind of a hero, albeit unwittingly. Which is fitting, because she seems to lack all wit.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on May 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM · Report this
biffp 38
@37, I couldn't think of anything she'd done, but she did succeed through her failure. Either she is an idiot savant or a vast left-wing conspiracy.
Posted by biffp on May 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM · Report this
Knat 39
I guess it's too much for Palin to be asked to get dressed up for a major public speaking event. Hard to show off the new goods while wearing a jacket, though. Still, I'm sure the tee shirt was freshly washed (by someone on staff at her hotel).

@18: You have a remarkably low bar for what sort of speech deserves the description "well written and presented". What came out of Palin's mouth here was meandering, stuttering, and full of so many fallacies and distortions of the truth as to amount to a twelve minute Gish gallop. The tepid response was probably due to even the dumbest of the mouth-breathers in the room knowing she wasn't making any sense with half of what she said, like this gem starting at 7:00 (sic, of course):
"As usual, the men and the women who created this country and secured our freedom, they have the answer. They wrote our founding documents... Our charters of freedom, for a moral and a religious people. They understood that a free people must either nurture morality, they lose their freedom."

@35: If you wanted to give credit where credit is due, you'd credit her for arguably doing more to curdle the tone in politics than anyone in the last decade. Or were you not alive in 2008?
Posted by Knat on May 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM · Report this
@32, no, Palin is a quitter, plain and simple. There is no credit to give to her. She abandoned the people who elected her to go off and work for Fox News.

I have never liked her, so my opinion hasn't changed, but come up to Alaska and talk to those who supported her and you will find many of their attitudes have changed. Alaskans don't take kindly to those who abandon us and even those who strongly supported her candidacy as governor and vice president, turned their backs on her after she resigned as governor. One Alaskan blogger only refers to her as "the Quitter".

The credit she can take is bringing down the McCain 2008 presidential race and for that, I do say thank you. Otherwise, she is nothing more than a mouthpiece for right-wing conspiracy nuts.

Oh, and while I do agree that one shouldn't wish cancer on another, I will say that she can have my Crohn's disease any time. It's incredibly painful, makes it so you can't eat, and requires lots of doctor visits and more colonoscopies than you can count (4 in one year is my personal record). Considering the amount of shit that comes out of her mouth, I think it's only fitting that she have an ailment that requires her to be scoped on a regular basis.
Posted by SherBee on May 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM · Report this
Knat 41
@39: Correction, should be 2008 presidential campaign, not just 2008.
Posted by Knat on May 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM · Report this
@1: your lady boner is showing...
Posted by lifner77 on May 6, 2013 at 1:14 PM · Report this
Fenrox 43
How is it hypocritical to wish for someone's death? Also, what is wrong with wishing for someone's death? Slurs and death wishes are totally different things.
Posted by Fenrox on May 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM · Report this
very bad homo 44
@35 I definitely credit her with an Obama win, so I guess for that we should all be grateful.
Posted by very bad homo on May 6, 2013 at 3:23 PM · Report this
SoapMacTavish 45
I tried watching the video of her speech but couldn't do it so I started randomly forwarding and listening to a few seconds at a time (I'm bored) and I swear every time I forwarded and started listening again she was saying the words "free" "freedom" or "freedoms". Jesus fucking Christ, it's hard to have hope when you realize just how fucking stupid you have to be to buy into what that cunt is selling.
Posted by SoapMacTavish on May 6, 2013 at 9:46 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 46
@32: Who cares? Her target demographic either enjoys women with plastic surgery or IS a woman who enjoys plastic surgery.
Posted by undead ayn rand on May 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM · Report this
sissoucat 47
@46

In all fairness, she's never plastic-surgered her boobs, as of yet. She uses inflatable water bras, on the verge of exploding one day, and quite empty the next.

Nor has she plastic-surgered her galoping alopecia. She's a all-natural proud wig lady. Who takes care not to move her head too boldly, just in case.

'Cause that's what mavericks do, gracefully balance their toupee.

Posted by sissoucat on May 7, 2013 at 4:17 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 48
Probably, but the family is vain as hell. I don't picture her aging as gracefully once the wigs and waterbras fail to cover up time.
Posted by undead ayn rand on May 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM · Report this
Whenever I see a picture of Sarah Palin after a long period without seeing one, I experience a moment of surprise that it isn't Tina Fey.
Posted by F.A.W. on May 9, 2013 at 12:22 AM · Report this
Sabotage 50
Why are we crediting her with the Obama win exactly? She probably contributed but I don't think there's a case to be made that McCain would have won with anyone else. McCain torpedoed his campaign long before Palin fired a shot.
Posted by Sabotage on May 10, 2013 at 8:03 AM · Report this