Monday, May 6, 2013

Walter Cronkite and the Future of the Kitchen in 1967

Posted by on Mon, May 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM

He got the microwave oven right...

But the real surprise are the “cups and saucers [that] are molded on the spot.” Of course, the point is not to improve or automate the kitchen but to get rid of it altogether and transfer all cooking to public spaces. As the yard must be replaced by the public park, the kitchen must be replaced by the restaurant.

NotSean 1
Punchcards?
He totally overlooked bluetooth.
What a buffoon.
Posted by NotSean on May 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM · Report this
Why stop with the kitchen? Why not replace apartments and homes with barracks? Fifty cots in one big room, large group showers - wouldn't that be more efficient too? Night shift workers wouldn't even need separate beds!
Posted by digitalwitch on May 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 3
Why don't you be the first to embrace your own philosophy by opening the yard and kitchen in your single family home to the public?

Of course, you never will.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on May 6, 2013 at 9:23 AM · Report this
Fnarf 4
And everybody must be rich.

I can cook better than almost any restaurant I can afford. There are some exceptions; I can't realistically make pho broth at home. But all too often eating out means eating garbage, even if it's trendy hipster garbage.

And home cooking is a deep cultural experience, which supplies the stream of restaurant cooking; without it, restaurant cooking devolves into inbred, deracinated nonsense. A world in which every bite of food is either KFC/McDonalds crap or chilled beet foam over fried parmesan wafers is a world that is dead inside. Without the creativity and soul of real food there is no love, no art, no music, no literature. This applies to a 99 cent taco as much as it does the meals of the elite.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on May 6, 2013 at 9:33 AM · Report this

Cups and saucers molded on the spot?

Sure:

The office supply chain announced Friday that it is now selling 3D printers through its website and will start selling 3D printers in select stores by the end of next month. Staples is touting itself as the first "major U.S. retailer" to sell the product.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on May 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM · Report this
I was fairly addicted to those [fill in the blank]-of-the-future fantasies/predictions back then.

I like some of my toys and appliances today, true. But, all in all, the present isn't what I pictured the futures of the past to be.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on May 6, 2013 at 10:08 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 7
Restaurants are incredibly wasteful of food, Charles. If everyone gets rid of their kitchen and eats only at restaurants, that waste would be magnified a hundredfold.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on May 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM · Report this
@4 I started cooking when I went to college and encountered the cafeteria food service. That led me to the rapid realization that for a third of the money I was paying for them to serve us horrible meals, I could buy fresh ingredients and eat fairly well, if simply. While others ate shiny grey-green mystery meat and salty canned vegetables in the cafeteria, I was eating freshly sizzling steaks or chops and fresh salads in my dorm room.

I never looked back. We eat out, and even have a couple of favorite restaurants, but we still seem to have our best meals at home.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on May 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 9
yes, yes, all must do as Charles imagines they must do. but forcing people to live 'as one' is no different than forcing them to live separately-- you'll still end up w/ a populace that assumes force is the surest & best way of getting things done. which is pretty much all of history. we know how well that works.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on May 6, 2013 at 10:49 AM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 10
3D printing plastic containers does sound pretty cool. It would solve the problem of that damned cabinet that contains a bunch of old yogurt tubs and assorted Glad and Rubbermaid containers in which I can NEVER find the lid that fits the container I need.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on May 6, 2013 at 10:53 AM · Report this
brandon 11
If Charles can cook a decent meal, then I will hear him out. If he can't even boil water? Then he needs to STFU.
Posted by brandon on May 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM · Report this
Rob in Baltimore 12
Charles, just because you and you significant other are awful cooks, that doesn't mean the rest of us are. Perhaps if you didn't live in a single family home yourself, and moved your family to a single room with shared bathrooms, etc. you wouldn't come off as such a hypocrite when you're telling other people how to live.
Posted by Rob in Baltimore http://www.wishbookweb.com/ on May 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM · Report this
treacle 13
If there's no kitchen in a house... why, where would all the party guests end up?
Posted by treacle on May 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 14
@13,
The bedroom, if you're doing it right.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on May 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM · Report this
When restaurants can make food that's as delicious, healthy and cheap as I can I'll consider your suggestions. Until then, take your communal kitchen idea and shove it up your ass. Look out for the sharp knives and hot stovetop.

Actually, Even if they can make it as healthy and cheaply as I can I say fuckit. Without a kitchen what would I do with all the fresh veggies I pull out of my garden? Bring them to a restaurant and ask them to cook it? How would I prepare a quick meal for my friends for a spontaneous get together?

All around Charles, like most of your ideas, go fuck yourself with your idiotic collectivist fantasies.
Posted by Root on May 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM · Report this
Dougsf 16
Restaurants don't replace the kitchen because the goal of the restaurant is not to feed (let alone nourish) you, but to sell you a product.

Lately, I've been eating out far more than cooking, so I can see where Charles' so coming from— but I also realize my situation doesn't make sense for most people. Also, if I keep it up I'm probably going to end up with fucking gout.
Posted by Dougsf on May 6, 2013 at 2:40 PM · Report this
@15 "When restaurants can make food that's as delicious, healthy and cheap as I can..."

They're working on it, but the minimum wage thing is an impediment.
Posted by Odds Are A Red State Will Beat Us To It on May 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM · Report this
I watched that only to hear his voice again. Like hearing my grandfather's voice.
Posted by wjt on May 7, 2013 at 2:20 AM · Report this