Monday, May 6, 2013

The Theater of King Street Station

Posted by on Mon, May 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Now that the remodeling of King Street Station is finally completed, we can dream a little...

IMG_20130501_151618.jpg

Do you see what I see? Yes, this would make an excellent venue for Elizabethan plays and readings. As we have Shakespeare in the park, we should consider Shakespeare in the train station. It's just the place for people dressed in ruffs, cloaks, corsets, stockings, codpieces, breeches, and the like. And just the place to hear this sort of thing...
As therefore the sweetest rose hath his prickle, the finest velvet his brack, the fairest flower his bran, so the sharpest wit hath his wanton will, and the holiest head his wicked way. And true it is that some men write and most men believe, that in all perfect shapes, a blemish bringeth rather a liking every way to the eyes, than a loathing any way to the mind.
How I can see and hear all of this happening inside of the renewed King Street Station.

Too bad you can't get from there to the Sounder...across one set of tracks.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on May 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM · Report this
pdonahue 2
As someone who was involved in the demolition of the old ceiling and electrical system, the moment I saw the old ceiling revealed I knew the place was going to be a public gathering marvel. Now if we can shut off the automated AMTRAK security video, the process can begin.
Posted by pdonahue on May 6, 2013 at 9:57 AM · Report this
Modern architecture though stream-lined, playful and functional there needs to be a respect for the classic look and feel of a structure as well. I've seen photos of the original Grand Central Terminal and it was truly breath-taking . . .
Posted by bcanovan on May 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM · Report this
Reminds me of a church I attended a wedding in once, from the pictures.
Posted by Superjivus on May 6, 2013 at 10:15 AM · Report this
Fnarf 5
Huh? There is nothing remotely Elizabethan about that architecture.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on May 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM · Report this
lark 6
Good Morning Charles,
Not a bad idea Charles. As long as it doesn't disrupt service, at least a reading of some Shakespeare (or poetry of any kind) would be in order. Boy, does that place look lovely. I must visit it soon.
Posted by lark on May 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 7
Whatever. About 10 years ago we met my mother in law there after she came up on the Coast Starlight, and it was worse than any bus station I had seen. It's hugely improved, so much so that there can be no valid complaint about its current appearance.
Posted by Matt from Denver on May 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM · Report this