Monday, May 6, 2013

Democrats Are Racists, Too

Posted by on Mon, May 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM

This happened over the weekend: BuzzFeed reported that a South Carolina Democrat said a dumb, racist thing about Republican Governor Nikki Haley:

South Carolina Democratic Party Chairman Dick Harpootlian, a trial lawyer, longtime Democratic leader, and legendary figure in local politics, reportedly told a South Carolina Democratic Party dinner that the Democratic challenger would send "Nikki Haley back to wherever the hell she came from."

Haley was born in South Carolina. Her parents are from India.

And then Huffington Post says Harpootlian lamely tried to backpedal:

Politico's Jonathan Martin reported that when asked to clarify what he meant by "where she came from," Harpootlian said, “Lexington County.. she was born in Bamberg [South Carolina] and lived in Lexington. Anybody implying anything different is attempting to feign insult.”

Nope! This insincere bullshit doesn't work when Republicans try it, and it won't work when Democrats try it, either. Until he owns up to his mistake, Harpootlian should be reminded of his racist words on a daily basis. This kind of thing is no less shameful when a Democrat does it.

Urgutha Forka 1
Racist? I don't get it... how is that racist?
Posted by Urgutha Forka on May 6, 2013 at 10:49 AM · Report this
Just Jeff 2
Uh, I used to frequently beg George W. Bush to go back to wherever the hell he came from, be it Texas or his mommy's butthole. Racist? Get a grip.
Posted by Just Jeff on May 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM · Report this
@1 She looks somewhat foreign - meaning non-white - and "Go back to where you came from" is what racist turds yell at people who appear obviously different from the majority.
Posted by floater on May 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 4
@1 You can't tell the daughter of immigrants (especially brown immigrants) to "go back to wherever the hell they came from."
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on May 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM · Report this
If he was referring to her Indian heritage, then yes, he should apologize (and perhaps step down). His explanation is a little weak. How does it make sense to send her back to a city in South Carolina when she is the governor of South Carolina?
Posted by Patricia Kayden on May 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM · Report this
ryanayr 6
What hell does she come from though? I vote Zoroastrian.
Posted by ryanayr on May 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 7
@1: Because it implies that due to her skin color she is an "other" who does not belong in America, and is therefore not a real American.

It is the exact same reason people who demand Obama's birth certificate/college trancripts are racists: because someone has dark skin, they need to prove they are "true Americans."
Posted by Theodore Gorath on May 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 8
South Carolina is hell enough.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on May 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM · Report this
sperifera 9
Democrats can be xenophobes, too.
Posted by sperifera on May 6, 2013 at 11:09 AM · Report this
kk in seattle 10
Maybe he should go back to Armenia.
Posted by kk in seattle on May 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 11
Its more accurate to say a White Southern Democrat said something racist. Ain't no surprise there.

And "Dick Harpootlian"(if that is your real name), Armenian-Americans with hilarious names shouldn't be throwing stones.
Posted by Max Solomon on May 6, 2013 at 11:18 AM · Report this
This gives grasping at straws a bad name.
Posted by Get A Life on May 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM · Report this
The reality SLOG doesn't want you to know:

Stung by its disastrous electoral showings among Americans who are neither white, Anglo, straight, nor male, the GOP has finally begun to broaden its candidate base.

The party now boasts an African-American senator from South Carolina, Cuban-American senators from Florida and Texas, Indian-American governors in South Carolina and Louisiana, and Mexican-American governors in Nevada and New Mexico. In all likelihood, 2016 will witness the first-ever serious minority candidacy for the GOP presidential nomination.

And it’s a good bet that either a minority or a woman will find a place on the Republican ticket. Prominent openly gay Republican politicians are only a matter of time.

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on May 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM · Report this
There is nothing racist about that comment, it is an old saying that I have usually heard (dozens of times in my life) applied to white americans, by white americans, in the context of a comment representing their dislike or even hatred of that individual or their business. Does that change when someone says it to a person of another race? Are people no longer allowed to insult people of other races or express their displeasure without it representing a racist viewpoint?

The commet IS NOT racist.
Posted by scratchmaster joe on May 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM · Report this
"Har-poot-lee-an? What sort of name is that, boy?"
Posted by tiktok on May 6, 2013 at 11:29 AM · Report this
"feign insult"?
Posted by Eric from Boulder on May 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 17
@14: Sure, the white people at immigration rallies who yell "go back to where you came from" to brown skinned people are not being racist at all.

They are just expressing their disapproval for those particular individuals.

It has nothing to due with their race, right?
Posted by Theodore Gorath on May 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 18
I just GIS'ed Nikki Haley. Yeah, I guess she does look Indian. I'd honestly never noticed before, she just looked like a typical white chick to me.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on May 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM · Report this
Sir Vic 19
It's the "wherever the hell" part that shows Dick's thinking. It means that her origins aren't clear. That's not kicking her out of the governor's mansion and sending her back to her district.

example:
Years ago, you're a WA state GOP'er at a luncheon in Pasco. You're talking about defeating Gary Locke for re-election, so you might say "send him back to Seattle", meaning that he was a snooty city dweller who didn't care about the Tri-Cities. That's populism. Harpootlian isn't practicing populism here.
Posted by Sir Vic on May 6, 2013 at 11:35 AM · Report this

Some kid at Lake Meridian called me an old white guy.

Is he racist...or just telling the truth!

Don't answer...

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on May 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM · Report this
@ 13 So the GOP is finally electing minorities, the Dems have been doing it for years. Most of the minorities in Congress are Dems.
Posted by Seattle14 on May 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM · Report this
You're stretching here.
Posted by Steven J Baughman on May 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM · Report this
Knat 23
A Southerner said something racist. This is not a surprise. Still, he is a politician, and should feel the sting of that for a good long time. I wouldn't blame the GOP for hammering him on this when he comes up for reelection. I might even applaud it.

@13: Oh my God, they have seven people in their caucus who are not white? Truly, the GOP is the new bastion for diversity in our modern era!
Posted by Knat on May 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM · Report this
Mr. Constant is exactly right. For him to call out negative behavior regardless of political identity is admirable. I hope he is soon able to move from the insincere bullshit of unknown politicians in small states to the equally insincere bullshit of internationally known world leaders.
Posted by LJM on May 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM · Report this
@23, In Texas, I had a black professor who told me that Philadelphia was the most racist city he'd ever lived in.

Displaying a prejudiced view of strangers in the south is not the best way to protest prejudiced views.
Posted by LJM on May 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM · Report this
I can't believe we're arguing this. What the hell?! Telling a dark-skinned person in Caucasian US of A to "go back wherever the hell she came from" IS a classic racist move. If he'd wanted to say, say, Columbia, S.C., he'd had said "Go back to Columbia!" @19 is right. The "wherever the hell" means "Your dark skin is telling me that you're from some exotic place far away from here that I don't really care to find out because I don't give a damn about your culture." Even if he happens to be surrounded by racist, ignorant people, that's no excuse.

Paul's right. We wouldn't tolerate a Republican telling Antonio Villaraigosa or Gary Locke or Julian Castro to "go back to where you came from," and we likewise shouldn't put up with it when it comes from a Democrat.
Posted by floater on May 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM · Report this
Thanks for being the nebbish nanny of petty political correctness Paul. "Nope! [It's] insincere bullshit...racist...shameful."

But how...?

Calling it a "racist thing" does not make it so; actually, the fact you didn't even try to define or explain what was racist about it likely mean it wasn't.

Don't fret. You still get your bi-partisan Brownie points.
Posted by menace2society on May 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 28
Can we send Paul back to wherever the hell he came from? I'd be all in favor of that.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on May 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM · Report this
@20 & 28, has anyone told the two of you today your both fucking morons? If not..... your both fucking morons and should STFU.

Now save us all the trouble of having to remind you all the time and tape it to your bathroom mirror. Moron.
Posted by Machiavelli was framed on May 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM · Report this
Knat 30
@25: That's a fair point, even if you are using one anecdote to refute another. My experience with southerners is limited almost exclusively to my in-law's extended family - and they're the epitome of nearly every negative Southern stereotype - so I admit my sample is certainly skewed.
Posted by Knat on May 6, 2013 at 1:06 PM · Report this
lark 31
@28
That's actually pretty funny.

BTW, I disagree with much of what Paul says but he's right on this one.
Posted by lark on May 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM · Report this
NotSean 32
@14 I hear ya loud and clear.
My experience too.

Sometimes, a cigar is just a (contextually inappropriate) cigar.
Posted by NotSean on May 6, 2013 at 1:16 PM · Report this
blip 33
@14, Yes, saying "go back to wherever the hell you came from" to a non-white person whose parents are immigrants is different than saying it to a white person. Failing to understand that context matters: also racist. In a multi-cultural society populated with immigrants from every country on earth, ignorance is not an excuse. Decency obligates you to know these things, particularly in politics.
Posted by blip on May 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM · Report this
@20 "Some kid at Lake Meridian called me an old white guy."

He wasn't calling you that, he was just shouting out the description of the creep hanging out by the bathrooms.
Posted by Police Report on May 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM · Report this
These people think their code words are super top secret, but anyone who grew up in America knows exactly what they're saying.
Posted by pox on May 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM · Report this
brandon 36
Reminds me of the Peachoid fiasco on House of Cards. I still say the release valve looks like a clit, not an ass hole.
Posted by brandon on May 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM · Report this
NotSean 37
@33 Equally important to context is intent.

I don't know the speaker's intent anymore than you do.

Intent, in this case, makes the difference between this man being a racist asshole, or just an inconsiderate ass.

You choose to believe the former, and I choose the latter.
Maybe it's the nice sunny day affecting my demeanor.

Posted by NotSean on May 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM · Report this
blip 38
@37, I don't know his explicit intent in this case but it does not matter: either explanation you offer makes this a racist statement. Being oblivious to the implications of saying "go back to wherever the hell you came from" to the daughter of Indian immigrants, in this country, in this day and age, is not an excuse.

In a multi-cultural society, decency obligates you to know these things. It's basic civility. Feel free to ignore this advice but have fun convincing people you didn't mean to be racist/sexist/homophobic/whatever when you say something ignorant.
Posted by blip on May 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM · Report this
NotSean 39
@38 I don't feel it is racist without the intent.
People put their feet in their mouths all the time. What's kosher today is taboo tomorrow.

When taboo happens, it might be insensitive - to the point of assanine - and still offensive, and worthy of apology, but it's not necessarily racist, nor inexcusable.

And, good luck living in your world of egg shells.

Posted by NotSean on May 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM · Report this
blip 40
@39, Hey it's no skin off my balls. I'm a middle class, height-weight proportional white guy who doesn't find it all that difficult to refrain from telling brown people to go back to where they came from. I just consider decency a virtue, albeit an occasional struggle.
Posted by blip on May 6, 2013 at 4:57 PM · Report this
@39 "I don't feel it is racist without the intent."

I could agree that intent makes the racist, but not that racist or discriminatory incidents are limited by intent.

There is a whole shit-pile of racist shit that is perpetuated and perpetrated by non-racists.
Posted by Public Enemy Is Harder Than You Think on May 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM · Report this
sirkowski 42
She should go back to the kitchen.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on May 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 43
@39: "I don't feel it is racist without the intent."

Your opinion is not the whole of reality. He should've thought more, he should've apologized better.

"What's kosher today is taboo tomorrow."

This is an asshole thing to say, however. The point is that he said it TODAY. And it is inappropriately racist TODAY and nobody should make excuses for tone-deaf politicians of any political persuasion. If my grandfather said something like that, he'd be espousing racist language no matter what the era.
Posted by undead ayn rand on May 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM · Report this
NotSean 44
@43 I jumped into the thread cause I, like another in this discussion, have a much different experience with the phrase at issue.

"Wherever the hell she/you came from"

It's a slightly vulgar way of telling someone to 'go away'.

I always took it to mean:

I care so little about this person, that I can't be bothered to remember from where they came, and, since person is from there, I don't care about that place either...

At best, it's an insult to the person and to their home town/region. (Dude needs to apologize to Lexington too)

Or, as you choose to interpret it, it's a reference to ugliness shouted at immigrants.

Posted by NotSean on May 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 45
We've got so much Southern Strategy going strong that I find it impossible to separate the your meaning phrase from its traditional ~political~ intent as a dogwhistle. Speeches always imply different things than polite conversation, they're laden with meaning even if the speechmaker is too dumb to know what they're suggesting.
Posted by undead ayn rand on May 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 46
Er, "your meaning" for the phrase.
Posted by undead ayn rand on May 7, 2013 at 3:39 PM · Report this
lolorhone 47
My Mother's Breakdown Of The Two Parties To Her Gay Black Son (In High School): "Watch your back around every Republican, and every other Democrat."
Posted by lolorhone on May 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM · Report this
Sabotage 48
@13: There ARE prominent out gay Republicans. The Tea Party LOATHES them and tries to shove them under the rug at every opportunity. GOProud wasn't invited to CPAC.
Posted by Sabotage on May 10, 2013 at 7:08 AM · Report this