Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The Wednesday Morning News

Posted by on Wed, May 1, 2013 at 8:30 AM

If the 2 Year Old Had Been Armed, This Never Would Have Happened: "Authorities in southern Kentucky say a 2-year-old girl has been accidentally shot and killed by her 5-year-old brother, who was playing with a .22-caliber rifle he received as a gift," reports the Associated Press. The shooting will reportedly be filed as accidental, even though anyone with half a clue believes the parents should be tried for murder for giving a gun to a 5 year old.

Abortion Clinics: They're suing the state to block the release of patient reports:

Abortion providers in the Seattle area have sued to stop the state from releasing patient reports to an anti-abortion activist seeking detailed information on the region’s clinics. Filing a lawsuit in King County, the Northwest chapter of Planned Parenthood and four clinics have asked for an order preventing the state Department of Health from releasing some patient information to an anti-abortion activist who they contend has harassed abortion providers in the past.

Customer Outraged! Starbucks misspelled a name on a cup. Granted, they did spell it "Vagina."

Cyclist Killed: The Seattle Times reports that a cyclist was killed in a collision with a semi this morning. The cyclist was reportedly wearing a helmet. We need protected biked lanes on commuter routes, obviously, and hopefully the Seattle Times will support that.

Even Without a Team: Goldy explains why the Sodo arena deal is still alive.

Weather Above Ground: Holy fagsticks, this forecast is making me gay!

weather.PNG

The New Republican: Gabriel Gomez won the GOP primary in Massachusetts last night. He's a Navy SEAL, a Harvard Business School graduate, and a bilingual first-generation immigrant.

Business-Minded Nightclub Owners: They argue for extending the beat of private security cops—those guys in the yellow jackets—up through Belltown to combat graffiti, drugs, and crime.

It's Wet, Rimmed, and Bigger Than Pretty Much Everything Else: What is it?

Barack Obama Hates Journalists: And Alex Pareene can see why:

Obama’s perception of the elite political press is that they’re a bunch of shallow whiny babies. When they are given a chance to directly question him they ask if he has “juice” left... Obama’s sarcastic dismissal of the Beltway press is basically entirely justified. They jump at every idiotic pseudo-controversy and they always hold both sides responsible for “dysfunction” in Washington. No one at yesterday’s press conference asked about jobs or labor.

Two Brothers Love Money: They allegedly stole a winning lottery ticket worth $5 million—from a maintenance worker—and one of them has been convicted of possessing stolen property.

Sure, Give 'em Another Martyr: Seventy percent of Americans support sentencing the surviving Boston bombing suspect to death if he's convicted. Nearly three-quarters of Americans agree that he should be tried in civilian, not military, court.

An Elderly Swedish Couple: Charged with harassment after allegedly blasting Iron Maiden at their neighbors.

Today Is May Day: Seattle police aren't expecting much, they say, but they're prepared for just about anything. Meanwhile, television news is hyping May Day anarchist actions so much, it seems like they want the smashy-smashy. It's like they're egging people on. Because it's good TV. For our part, we'll have fixies on the ground, reporting here on Slog.

Matt from Denver 1
When a cyclist gets crushed by a semi, knowing whether he had a helmet or not is about as pointless as asking if the people in a 55 mph head-on collision (that's an impact sum of 110 mph) were wearing seat belts or if the air bags deployed. Some collisions are just going to be too much for any safety equipment to handle.
Posted by Matt from Denver on May 1, 2013 at 8:46 AM · Report this
dnt trust me 2
@17

The name writing on the cup thing I guess is supposed to add a customer service friendly touch. Though I'm quite happy with McDonalds, Burger King and similar places that just give me a number.
Posted by dnt trust me on May 1, 2013 at 8:54 AM · Report this
sperifera 3
@1 - Witnesses at the scene stated that the cyclist plowed into the back of the semi, so wearing a helmet would in theory make a difference (perhaps).
Posted by sperifera on May 1, 2013 at 8:58 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 4
@ 3, I missed that detail when I read the report. That's what happens when I don't take the time to read slowly.

I'm not sure that would help, depending on what exactly happened. If he hit it face first, then there was still no protection. Or maybe his head snapped back, breaking his neck. But it wasn't like I first imagined, and the detail that he was wearing a helmet is not pointless after all.
Posted by Matt from Denver on May 1, 2013 at 9:03 AM · Report this
DOUG. 5
The bike in the photo is crushed. The back wheel is twisted and the frame is broken. This is not consistent with plowing into the back of a truck.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on May 1, 2013 at 9:06 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 6
RE: 70% favor death penalty if Boston bomber is convicted.

MOAR VENGANCE! MOAR!!
Posted by Urgutha Forka on May 1, 2013 at 9:07 AM · Report this
Fnarf 7
Selling rifles specifically designed for five-year-olds is good business. There's money to be made there. It just stands to reason. The Second Amendment [pause for prayer] doesn't say anything about age limits. There's nothing about a five-year-old that's particularly unsuited to the work of killing things.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on May 1, 2013 at 9:14 AM · Report this
Fried Worms 8
@5. You're right. Your knowledge of the situation based on a single photo posted online totally invalidates the reports of the people who were actually there and saw it happen.

It's all actually a conspiracy. All the witnesses are paid members of a semi truck lobbyist group. The FBI is also part of the cover up. But you have spotted the truth. You are a hero.
Posted by Fried Worms on May 1, 2013 at 9:16 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 9
Truly there is no insult greater than someone at a Hong Kong Starbucks misspelling your name. This is an act of war.

Also, did she ever consider the idea that maybe there was someone named Vagina who never got her coffee, because presumptuous ol' Virginia got all grabby?
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on May 1, 2013 at 9:20 AM · Report this
@5 It is if you wind up under the back wheels. Back could mean the back half of a side which would make sense with the cyclist hitting the truck as it went through the intersection.

Someone was probably running a red. Either outright, or they entered the intersection to late after it went yellow.
Posted by giffy on May 1, 2013 at 9:26 AM · Report this
Aaron 11
I hope you have brakes on those fixies because a bicycle without brakes is just fucking stupid. And don't give me that shit about how your legs are your brakes, stopping the rear wheel only (as long as the chain stays put). Keep track bikes on the track. Fucking mooks.
Posted by Aaron on May 1, 2013 at 9:26 AM · Report this
Kinison 12
KING5 says witnesses saw the bike hit the back of the semi truck as it passed through the intersection. Driver didnt even know the cyclist hit him and had to be flagged down.

Just this morning I saw someone on Boren and Pike stop at the red light, look both ways and ran right through it as I was walking through the crosswalk.
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on May 1, 2013 at 9:32 AM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 13
A while back I was living in Seattle and would occasionally bike to my job at Kent Space Center West. It is an odd mixture of breakneck commuting in heavy traffic and pastoral gliding on bicycle only paths like the Interurban and Green River Trail.

I think the plan was always to have an all trail network. Will it ever happen?

Also, reverse commuting has exceeded city commuting..in Philadelphia.

Reverse Commute Rising From City to Suburbs

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on May 1, 2013 at 9:37 AM · Report this
Baby Blue 14
If anyone needs me today, I'll be curled up in the corner crying for all the children whose lives have been ruined by guns/ gun nuts. I just can't take any more of this.
Posted by Baby Blue on May 1, 2013 at 9:40 AM · Report this
fletc3her 15
I wish the President would have a press conference every week. Maybe if the journalists got more practice they would ask better questions.
Posted by fletc3her on May 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM · Report this
fletc3her 16
The television stations should pool their money and hire some anarchists.
Posted by fletc3her on May 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM · Report this
fletc3her 17
Why do they write names on cups anyway?
Posted by fletc3her on May 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 18
Yeah, me too, @14. I be bawling my fucking eyeballs out. Because, of all the fucked-up shit that's going on in this world, I've got nothing better to worry about.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on May 1, 2013 at 9:52 AM · Report this
I thought HIPPA Privacy Rule protected all individually identifiable health information and not just names.
Yet the Health Department was prepared to release the city of residence, age, ethnicity and abortion history of patients and when and where each abortion was performed to some anti abortion activist?
It seems to me this information could easily be used to identify some individuals and obviously should be protected.
Posted by swing state voter on May 1, 2013 at 9:52 AM · Report this
Fnarf 20
I wear my helmet every day, but I have no illusions about how it's going to protect me in a car or truck collision. It's going to protect me if I fall over sideways, that's about it (which is a legitimate concern for a klutz).

Big trucks scare the shit out of me, though. We don't get too many semis on the streets I ride on, but there is an epidemic of double-trailer dump trucks racing up and down Stone Way these days, speeding, drifting in and out of lanes, taking up two lanes for a block at a go, veering right into the oncoming traffic lane to make right turns because they're too long to do otherwise, clattering and banging like crazy when empty, parking two or three trucks at a time in the center turn lane while they wait for the jobsite to free up, visibly destroying the pavement....

They're terrifying enough when I'm in my car; on my bike, when I get wedged between two at a light or something, ugh.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on May 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 21
MacCrocodile, if I ever have a daughter I am going to name her "Vagina", in honor of the way you think. Well done!

As for the whole name thing: When I worked in hotels, it became fashionable (if a guest was calling from their room) to answer the phone with their name (i.e. "Good Morning, Mr. X"). I always thought that was creepy and presumptuous, so I never did it. Once time I stayed at the Four Seasons in New York with a co-worker who had the room in his name, and everytime I called any place in the hotel, they always answered the phone by using his name. It got on my nerves after a while.

Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on May 1, 2013 at 9:58 AM · Report this
biffp 22
@14, completely agree. I read that first blurb thinking it was a re-post of the story from yesterday in Alaska. What else could kill this many kids with impunity? The general sense to ignore the problem and not hold people responsible for these non-accidents must be contributing. At least the political pressure is increasing on Senators who voted against a bill supported by 90% of the electorate.
Posted by biffp on May 1, 2013 at 9:58 AM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 23
My middle name is Vagina.

(Awesome pickup line? Right?)
Posted by ArtBasketSara on May 1, 2013 at 10:07 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 24
@21 - I dare you to make that a boy's name.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on May 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 25
@23 - I always thought your middle name was Basket.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on May 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 26
@ 20, it will protect you in some auto collisions - ones where the car isn't flying at top speed. Hell, one of those crappy skid lids did just that for my dad over 30 years ago, when someone turning the corner ran right into him. Don't downplay their effectiveness.

@ 9 & 21, Dan Clowes once had a cartoon featuring a loser asking out a very homely bank teller named "Vagina" on a date. It went sideways because, as she told him, "it's pronounced Va-GEE-na."
Posted by Matt from Denver on May 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM · Report this
I ride the same route the rider who got hit on. I also saw his body on my commute into the city. Pretty fucking sobering to see first thing in the morning. It's a VERY truck heavy route in the morning and there's not much room for mistakes. A dedicated seperate bike lane down there would be fantastic. Fuck.
Posted by jns on May 1, 2013 at 10:15 AM · Report this

Was he the dood on SEAL Team Six who shot the nurse in Afghanistan? Recall, if you are mentally capable of doing so, that the week prior to the alleged hit on Osama bin Laden in Pakistan, SEAL Team Six attempted a hostage rescue of a humanitarian worker (I believe she was a nurse?) in Afghanistan, where they accidentally (assuming it wasn't practise for the Osama run) killed the nurse they were attempting to rescue.

And for those who brag on 401(k)s:

Posted by sgt_doom on May 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 29
21 dear, I thought about making it a gender neutral name, but that was too much work for the prospect of something that will never, ever, ever, happen. After all, children would only get in the way of our erotic lifestyle.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on May 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM · Report this
Just Jeff 30
@10 the bike could also have been run over by a following vehicle. The Times reported that the cyclist was crossing E. Marginal, which is a bit odd as Hanford dead-ends there at the shipping dockyard. If the cyclist hit the rear of the truck, then the truck was likely going northbound on Marginal, the cyclist eastbound on Hanford (unless the cyclist was turning left to Hanford going south on E. Marginal. Not sure how dedicated bike lanes would have made a difference here.
Posted by Just Jeff on May 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM · Report this
Self- serving plug. We are having a large-scale debate on gun control tonight at the Mukilteo City Hall (11930 Cyrus Way, Mukilteo) at 7pm. Members of local Police departments, 2nd Amendment Foundation, and members of the local HS debate team acting as seconds on both sides. Moderated by state Rep Marko Liias. It will be covered by TVW, and likely shown in the next couple weeks, But if you wanna be there, and have something to say, (ask a question, demand an answer, etc) now might be a real good time to actually get off your ass and come out.
Posted by Chris Jury http://www.thebismarck.net on May 1, 2013 at 10:34 AM · Report this
Allyn 32
Does the coffee lady know they don't check ID at Starbucks? If her misspelled name is a constant source of frustration for her, perhaps she could just say her name is Tom.
Posted by Allyn on May 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM · Report this
DOUG. 33
@8 & @10: Let me clarify my statement @5...

A crushed back wheel and broken frame are not consistent with JUST plowing into the back of a truck.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on May 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM · Report this
biffp 34
In other news, the Chicago Blackhawks have had a tremendous amount of sex this season.

Posted by biffp on May 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM · Report this
And the really important news of the day:

Posted by sgt_doom on May 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 36
@25 Uh, basket is obvious slang for VAGINA? (All caps because...basket! Would you like to...basket-size that order? <----another great pick up line?).
Posted by ArtBasketSara on May 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM · Report this
I can never say "basket" again without blushing. Vagina is OK though, it's a girl's name.
Posted by originalcinner on May 1, 2013 at 10:57 AM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 38
A tisket, a tasket, a flower-making basket!

Anyone? Anyone?

@37 I say it to myself all the time instead of using blush...?

Posted by ArtBasketSara on May 1, 2013 at 11:02 AM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 39
I saw a guy on a bike slam into the side of a car in an intersection. He flipped right over the hood and landed in somebody's yard at the corner. His bike was trashed, but amazingly, the dude got right back up. A bit scraped up, but not seriously injured. I'm pretty sure the helmet helped save him from a worse head injury.

A helmet won't make you invulnerable to a massive impact with a truck, obvs, but they can make a huge difference in lesser crashes.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on May 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM · Report this
Attention All Anarchists

Posted by sgt_doom on May 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM · Report this
TortoiseTurtle 41
@2, how in god's name did you reply to a comment that hadn't happened yet?
Posted by TortoiseTurtle http://slog.thestranger.com on May 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM · Report this
raindrop 42
@41, indeed. @2 - got any stock tips?
Posted by raindrop on May 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM · Report this
keshmeshi 43
@20,

A friend of mine was biking on Burke Gilman a few years ago, hit a tree root, and flipped over her handlebars. Her helmet was split in two and she suffered a broken collar bone. Had she not been wearing her helmet, she'd be dead.
Posted by keshmeshi on May 1, 2013 at 11:20 AM · Report this
@20: I got hit by a car last year, which put me airborne. When I landed, my head whacked against the street. My helmet saved me head from damage.
Posted by tiktok on May 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 45
@42 buy most low PE consumer cyclicals with moderate to high dividends.

Or get the Dogs of the Dow funds - there are two, one is an ETF, the other (something like DOG or DDOG or DDOGX) is a mutual fund.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on May 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM · Report this
john t 46
You'd think a "well regulated militia" wouldn't be recruiting five-year-old children, but maybe that's just my ageist privilege talking.
Posted by john t on May 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM · Report this
Meanwhile, business goes on as usual in Washington:

Obama to appoint cable industry lobbyist Tom Wheeler as FCC head

Wheeler raised more than $500,000 for Obama's re-election effort, according to data provided by the campaign. He also contributed more than $17,000 combined to Obama's re-election and to several Senate campaigns, including Virginia Democratic senator Tim Kaine's successful effort.

Wheeler is former head of the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association and the National Cable Television Association. Since 2005, he has been a venture capitalist at Core Capital Partners.

Posted by anon1256 on May 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 48
@46 we aim for 17 year olds, actually, at least in the Army and Marines. We pretend we want them older, but we don't. Start recruiting warm up aimed at 13-14 with full on kicking in the second they show up in high school (and the summer beforehand).
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on May 1, 2013 at 12:11 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 49
@41, 42,

It's either:
1. The same person with two accounts.
2. Two different people but they know each other and set it up.
3. @2 made a mistake and fletc3her @17 just capitalized on it for laughs.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on May 1, 2013 at 12:11 PM · Report this
TVDinner 50
Oh, artbasketsarah, I heart you.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on May 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM · Report this
TVDinner 51
But not enough to spell your name right.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on May 1, 2013 at 12:21 PM · Report this
fletc3her 52
@49 Argh you're on to me.
Posted by fletc3her on May 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM · Report this
ArtBasketSara 53
@50/51 I love being hearted!! Thanks! And I just assumed the "h" was for heart. ;)

(One of the few times a TV dinner has expressed appreciation for me...)
Posted by ArtBasketSara on May 1, 2013 at 12:56 PM · Report this
dnt trust me 54
fletc3her is my new hero. Mind you, at year's end I compile a list of my regrets that is 5x the size of the Stranger Regrets Issue, so big it's just a marketing schtick predictably void of any sincerity.
Posted by dnt trust me on May 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM · Report this
Sandiai 55
Also newsworthy: a movie made with dancing atoms.

Posted by Sandiai on May 1, 2013 at 4:15 PM · Report this
Stupid bicyclist decides to red light, hits side of semtruck and dies. Let's ban semitrucks.
Posted by Unbrainwashed on May 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM · Report this
biffp 57
On a positive note, I saw a squirrel with a baby in her mouth make it across Dexter at Harrison alive. Took a few tries and a truck narrowly missing her.
Posted by biffp on May 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM · Report this
Backyard Bombardier 58
@57 Must have been a pretty big squirrel. A whole baby?
Posted by Backyard Bombardier on May 1, 2013 at 6:39 PM · Report this