Monday, April 29, 2013

Idiot ESPN Writer Pretends to Be the Voice of God While Talking Shit About Jason Collins

Posted by on Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 1:45 PM

This is ESPN reporter Chris Broussard, shooting off his damn fool mouth about Jason Collins. He's probably going to be embraced by far-right Christian groups for his "brave" decision to speak Biblical "truth" in public.

According to ThinkProgress, Broussard said this right in front of an openly gay ESPN reporter named LZ Granderson, who replied, “I really don’t need Chris or anyone else telling me if I’m a Christian because Jesus tells me I am.”

NotSean 1
Bible Shmible
Posted by NotSean on April 29, 2013 at 1:52 PM · Report this
Stacy in Austin 2
I can probably guess, but the video's blocked from my work; what'd he say?
Posted by Stacy in Austin on April 29, 2013 at 2:00 PM · Report this
NotSean 3
@2 People having gay sex, people having premarital sex, aren't real Christians. Cause, the Bible.
Posted by NotSean on April 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM · Report this
zachd 4
What the I don't even

I applaud him taking a courageous stand against premarital sex and adultery as well. Gooooooooood luck with that.

I'm not only for premarital sex- I think it should be required.
Posted by zachd http://zachd.com on April 29, 2013 at 2:14 PM · Report this
Knat 5
@2: A lot of rambling and uncompleted sentences. He said that living in an "openly homosexual lifestyle or, like, openly pre-marital sex between heterosexuals" [sic] is living in sin and "walking in open rebellion to God, and to Jesus Christ," and not the way that he or the Bible would characterize a Christian.

This willfully sets aside a pile of monstrous acts against fellow human beings one can commit and still totally measure up as a gold star paragon of Christianity by the Bible's own rules, but, you know, "ew, gross, man-kisses."
Posted by Knat on April 29, 2013 at 2:14 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 6
He's so holy. Expect to hear some kinky shit about Broussard in 1-2-3...
Posted by Pope Peabrain on April 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 7
Well that didn't take long for the assholes to spew their cloud spook's beliefs onto everyone.
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on April 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM · Report this
I'm a Christian and I thinks Collins is too, I also don't think Jesus said anything on homosexuality.
Posted by Seattle14 on April 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM · Report this
Meanwhile Dough Baldwin, Hawks WR and devout Christian posted this.

S/o to J. Collins for having the courage to be himself. To the judges: He that is without sin, let him cast the first stone. John 8:7
Posted by Seattle14 on April 29, 2013 at 2:27 PM · Report this
Why was he even talking about that? THe clip has no context. I'm pretty sure Collins isn't Muslim either because Quran blah blah blah...
Posted by ryanisinallofus on April 29, 2013 at 2:35 PM · Report this
Granderson's response is just as nonsensical as Broussard's.

Why either of them are commenting on their religious beliefs while discussing basketball is puzzling.
Posted by dirge on April 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM · Report this
I hope people expected that the announcement would bring out the homophobes. And I'm glad it did: the lines are going to be drawn, and those on the wrong side (like this idiot) are slowly going to realize how marginal they are becoming. An unfortunate step at first, but an essential step nonetheless.
Posted by carnivorous chicken on April 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM · Report this
I'm not saying it needed to be a star, or even a starter, but is anyone else just slightly disappointed that the guy isn't even on a team? It's probably more likely he makes a team now as the NBA (fuck you NBA) wouldn't want to appear intolerant but at the time he came out he is not on a team. This makes "active" not true.

Will there will always be an asterisk next to this piece of history?

Sort of like how when Hillary is president I'm going to think "well, that's nice but it woud be cool if a woman could be president without first having to be the first-lady."

Then again where are those "but Obama isn't REALLY black" people these days? Nowhere.

Maybe it doesn't matter.

Posted by ryanisinallofus on April 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM · Report this
Boy, it's a good thing nobody in the NBA openly fornicates, or cheats on their wives, or spends thousands of dollars in strip clubs, because I'm sure this guy would be all up in their shit if they did!
Posted by catsnbanjos on April 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM · Report this
@catsnbanjos He has a weekly show: "Sinners in the NBA"
Posted by ryanisinallofus on April 29, 2013 at 3:09 PM · Report this
Are the NBA and ESPN christian organizations?
Posted by SammySeattle on April 29, 2013 at 3:18 PM · Report this
Was Chris Broussard speaking out publicly against NFL unmarried baby daddies? Why is it easier for an African-American male in the sports realm to speak publicly in favor of homophobia than against straight African-American athletes having illegitimate babies everywhere, or against concussed athletes shooting their women and themselves dead? I want to know if this guy has a public history of spouting his beliefs whenever there's a publicized case of murder, suicide, paternity scandal, rape, coaches having sex with kiddies, and this comment was just highlighted for political gain, or if he shut up about all the other shit because he's all hypocritical like that.
Posted by newsflash - man says something dumb and hateful on April 29, 2013 at 3:25 PM · Report this
very bad homo 18
Who cares if he's a Christian? And this "sin" business is bullshit. The rest of the world is not required to live by Biblical rules.
Posted by very bad homo on April 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 19
Well, I would expect that sort of nonsense blathering from some idiot on the 700 Club or something. But why was this shit on ESPN?
Posted by Reverse Polarity on April 29, 2013 at 3:40 PM · Report this
Wonder how he feels about Ray "I am a man of God, Worship me for my talent and personal line to God!" Lewis and his 6 children and no marriages.

Oh, right. Ray wasn't sucking any dick, as far as we know so, Vaya con Dios, Ray.
Posted by BornAgainInBellevue on April 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM · Report this
@16- well, ESPN is owned by Disney...so Yeah, kinda
Posted by Chris Jury http://www.thebismarck.net on April 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM · Report this
By his standards isn't most of the NBA heading to hell? Dudes throwing in straight sex to mask his homo hating ways.
Posted by hal on April 29, 2013 at 3:55 PM · Report this
Helenka (also a Canuck) 23
I'd sure like to see ANY contract from the N.B.A. (or other sports league) that contains these Christian stipulations concerning personal behaviours. Oh, right. They don't exist. Sorry, you lose!
Posted by Helenka (also a Canuck) on April 29, 2013 at 3:55 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 24
This is his chance to get out of basic cable, become a Christian Victim, and set himself up with a nice big church full of dimwits he can mess with mentally and drain financially, all in the name of Jesus.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on April 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM · Report this
this guy I know in Spokane 25
Wow. That guy is really stupid.
Posted by this guy I know in Spokane on April 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM · Report this
TreGibbs 26
If Jesus were here today, he'd knee this asshole right in the balls, then deliver a jab to his abdomen. After he fell to the ground Jesus would lean back and kick this motherfucker's jaw until it shattered, rendering him unable to speak the kind of BULLSHIT he's now famous for.
Posted by TreGibbs on April 29, 2013 at 9:33 PM · Report this
TreGibbs 27
But why have Jesus do it - Helen Mirren will do in a pinch....
Posted by TreGibbs on April 29, 2013 at 9:33 PM · Report this
thatsnotright 28
I am so happy that sports stars are such perfect models of propriety.
Posted by thatsnotright on April 29, 2013 at 10:39 PM · Report this
lolorhone 29
I applaud Broussard for his brave decision to come out as irrelevant.
Posted by lolorhone on April 30, 2013 at 3:33 AM · Report this
lark 30
@20,
You have an interesting point regarding Ray Lewis, now retired of the Baltimore Ravens who won the Super Bowl. He, Lewis may very well have killed a man. I'm very uncomfortable with that.
Posted by lark on April 30, 2013 at 9:01 AM · Report this
Per Bernstein 31
I remember reading something a few years ago about how 99% of NBA players cheat on their girlfriends/wives while on the road. Whatever the actual number, there is probably no profession on earth where extra-marital sex is so common.

It's mind-boggling that Broussard can profess to "walk with the Lord" while he promotes/exalts the Godless NBA and its lifestyle. Isn't that kind of like a devout jew working as a p.r. flack for a concentration camp?
Posted by Per Bernstein on April 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM · Report this
What the fuck does the bible have to do with the NBA?
Posted by Weekilter on April 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM · Report this
Jaymz 33
For those who question the Christianity context of this post, it is assumed all have read the entire Sports Illustrated article wherein Collins mentions his Christianity and that he follows the teachings of Jesus (particularly those espousing tolerance and acceptance). It's just part of who Collins is, so I agree with those who castigate Broussard for questioning that assertion. Faith, and belief, are personal so fuck you Broussard.
Posted by Jaymz on April 30, 2013 at 11:55 AM · Report this