and Drunks

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The New King Street Station Waiting Room Looks Like the Inside of Wedding Cake

Posted by on Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Seattle's King Street Station has undergone incremental restoration projects—the clock tower, the plaza—for years now. Today another important section was unveiled to the public, the station's waiting room. Here's a pic from Mayor Mike McGinn's twitter feed. It looks lovely:

Screen_shot_2013-04-24_at_11.11.19_AM.png
  • City of Seattle

MacCrocodile 1
Maybe it's the wedding cakes that look like train stations.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on April 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 2
What a lovely and elegant room for people to stare at smartphones in.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on April 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM · Report this
How would you know? You've only been inside bachelor party cakes.
Posted by threadkiller666 on April 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM · Report this
SPG 4
As nice of a waiting room as this is, the beauty of a good train system is that you aren't forced to spend hours before every trip in the station like you are with air travel. You don't need to arrive at least 90 minutes before the train leaves so you can make it through the security kabuki.
Posted by SPG on April 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM · Report this
I for one welcome the restoration of history in Seattle.
Posted by K on April 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM · Report this
It's nice, but I haven't taken a train since BoltBus arrived in the PNW.
Posted by wxPDX on April 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM · Report this
Dougsf 7
Whoa, I was just there four months ago and it seemed to be in even worse shape the the drop-ceiling nightmare it was 15 years before that. So, well done! Or, finally! Or nice job or it's about time or something... either way. Cool train station. Wedding Cake never tasted so... accessible.

@4 is that a thing? Last time I was there I walked into the station, got into the line to check in, then hopped right on the train from there.

Posted by Dougsf on April 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM · Report this
As the old drop-ceiling crumbled, you could get little glimpses of the un-restored original ceiling through the holes. I always wondered what it would look like restored. Why anyone thought it was a good idea to hide it with acoustical tile in the first place remains a mystery.

@4: That's the beauty of a *good* train system. In the existing train system, it's often impossible for trains to arrive and leave on time, due to landslides, car accidents, and the priority of freight trains.
Posted by pox on April 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM · Report this
@4-5, agree with both and also hope there is a plan to activate the space with some kind of art and cultural programming so people can enjoy the building whether they are catching a train or not.
Posted by gawd on April 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 10

Waterfront station, Vancouver, BC:

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on April 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM · Report this
treacle 11
Awesome. Finally. I love it.
It could use some contrasty highlights though.
Posted by treacle on April 24, 2013 at 12:47 PM · Report this
Dougsf 12
@4 - On re-reading, I think I misunderstood your comment.
Posted by Dougsf on April 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM · Report this
Dougsf 13
@10 - Did Sugerbaker's open an architecture firm too? I didn't see the last few seasons.
Posted by Dougsf on April 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM · Report this
lark 14
Indeed, it looks excellent. I shall check it out.
Posted by lark on April 24, 2013 at 12:55 PM · Report this
Mattini 15
Beautiful picture, though I still spot those uncomfortable benches. I rode the train many, many times as a college student and for a few years afterward. That's a huge improvement. (Does the train itself still smell vaguely of urine?)
Posted by Mattini on April 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM · Report this
what do the men's toilets look like? that is the most interesting place in a train station.
Posted by Rowlf on April 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM · Report this
I'm glad it's complete, whatever it looks like. I was waiting in line for a train to Portland in December (in the temp area). some woman from out of town was waiting with her son and complained non-stop about what the train station looked like (you know, the temp walls made out of plywood?) and comparing it to other train stations in the country. despite me explaining to her that the station was under renovation, she complained for another 25 minutes. I wish I'd had some earplugs.
Posted by sall-c on April 24, 2013 at 1:17 PM · Report this
MacCrocodile 18
@15 - Many of the trains still have their original urine for that authentic vintage feel.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on April 24, 2013 at 1:33 PM · Report this
Awesome. I take the train back and forth from Seattle to Portland not infrequently, and our station- per-renovation and mid-renovation- always seemed so depressing by comparison to PDX's Union Station.

It is, by the way, a really pleasant and relaxing way to go to Portland.
Posted by Actionsquid on April 24, 2013 at 1:52 PM · Report this
And yes, Amtrak can withstand a wild blast of children just as well as any other train.
Posted by Actionsquid on April 24, 2013 at 1:53 PM · Report this
I am a patient boy
I'll wait, I'll wait, I'll wait, I'll wait
My time, like water down the drain
Posted by The Bulldog Front on April 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 22
I can honestly say this was worth the wait. They did a magnificent job on this building.

Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on April 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM · Report this
lark 23
@19 BTW, I find Portland's Union Station absolutely outstanding. I especially enjoy the paintings of various NW landscapes. It's a wonderful place.
Posted by lark on April 24, 2013 at 2:44 PM · Report this
Simone 24
Nice. I too remember what it looked like with the falling stained/dusty/probably moldy tile ceiling. I'm sure when that was done 40 or 50 years ago it might have looked decent but after several years of no cleaning it was horrible and depressing.
Posted by Simone on April 24, 2013 at 3:06 PM · Report this
It looks beautiful! I, too, used to stare up between the missing acoustical panels in the drop ceiling and wonder what the hell the previous renovators were thinking when they made those hideous renovations in the 50s and 60s.
Posted by StuckInUtah on April 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM · Report this