and Drunks

Monday, April 22, 2013

The Blunt Charm of Marilyn McKenna

Posted by on Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I've never met Marilyn McKenna—like most of my coworkers, I've only had the pleasure of being forcefully ignored and shut out of press events by her husband—but like Dan, the more I hear about her, the more I like her. Take yesterday's profile in the Seattle Times, which covers her relationship with food, her dramatic weight loss, and her evolving stance on gay marriage, all delivered with a refreshing I-don't-give-a-fuck frankness:

McKenna has called Inslee “a legitimate moron”; said that she would eat dog food if it had peanut butter on it; and admitted to ogling the much-younger lifeguard at the local YMCA.

“What can I say? I’m married, not dead,” she told me the other week. “Twitter is fun. I enjoy talking to people. I use it like you would a diary.”

So what brought on the change from quiet, conservative political wife to someone who admits to sleeping in a Hooters T-shirt?

I'm lukewarm on dog food but I'd enthusiastically ogle lifeguards with Mrs. McKenna.

Bauhaus I 1
Wait....she calls Inslee a legitimate moron and then proceeds to say she'd eat dog food if it had a peanut butter topping? Sorry, folks. I don't see the charm. She sounds like a character on the old The Carol Burnett Show but without the Carol.
Posted by Bauhaus I on April 22, 2013 at 9:51 AM · Report this
raggeddog 2
She's been pro-marriage equality for 4-5 years, and her husband still isn't? I get angry at anti-equality people I don't even know, how could you live in the same house and share a bed with someone you knew was such a sack of shit?
Posted by raggeddog on April 22, 2013 at 9:59 AM · Report this
We've passed the point where simply coming out for gay marriage now makes you charming.

Gay marriage is now the law of this state; it's not a progressive stance to state your support for the law. Progressive would have been stating your stance prior to it becoming law and in contrast to the prevailing opinion.

And "I wasn't running for anything" is exactly lame. She simply cared more for the chance to be in the Governor's mansion than her feelings about the fundamental rights of Washington citizens. She chose not to speak out in order to benefit her place in society.

That's not charming. That's self serving.
Posted by Timothy http://www.moreperfect.org on April 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 4
I just don't see the appeal. If I want someone screeching every thought she thinks in my face, I'll go to a bar on the Ave some weekend.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on April 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 5
I'll add my voice to the chorus. "Blunt charm" is an oxymoron.
Posted by Matt from Denver on April 22, 2013 at 10:04 AM · Report this
Sounds like she's trying too hard to be the likable person that her husband can't.
Posted by treehugger on April 22, 2013 at 10:07 AM · Report this
DOUG. 7
She should drop another 120 pounds...her husband.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on April 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM · Report this
fletc3her 8
She's amusing, but I wouldn't say charming. Her insults make her sound like a low information political hack.
Posted by fletc3her on April 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM · Report this
A similar character, if she were married to a Dem., and commenters on here would be falling all over themselves with what a hoot she is. I can't stand her husband but I think she sounds funny, maybe a bit of a trainwreck but better than boring.
Posted by ian on April 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM · Report this
Pol Pot 10
I believe she is what the Scots refer to as a " right cunt".
Posted by Pol Pot http://bottlefuelrag.blogspot.com on April 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM · Report this
Womyn2me 11
Honestly I have a wee crush on her. She tweeted about having to go to the WaGOP gala alone and I said back to her "next time, take me. the GOP gala would enjoy the diversity of you and your middle aged lesbian date."

and I swear, she tweeted back, "sounds like fun." -- SHE COULD HAVE IGNORED ME. I dont know why, but it felt like nice thing to do. Maybe it's politics. But I liked it.
Posted by Womyn2me http://http:\\www.shelleyandlaura.com on April 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM · Report this
Look I voted for Inslee but cmon can we not really say McKenna isn't likable? I've listed to several of his speeches and he does seem to come off as having charm and connecting with people. He won blue King County twice as a Republican. Other than his ACA stance didn't mind him in the AG's office.
Posted by Seattle14 on April 22, 2013 at 11:16 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 13
Charming and horny. Maybe it's all that dog food. It has horse hormones.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on April 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM · Report this
MacCrocodile 14
@12 - Sweetie, nobody's talking about Rob McKenna. This thread is about his wife, Marilyn, who is also unpleasant, but in a different way.
Posted by MacCrocodile http://maccrocodile.com/ on April 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM · Report this
very bad homo 15
She's like the drunk aunt who makes you laugh, but then need to get away from after 5 or 10 minutes.
Posted by very bad homo on April 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM · Report this
Geni 16
Why on earth would anyone care what Rob McKenna's beard has to say about anything?
Posted by Geni on April 22, 2013 at 3:10 PM · Report this
The real test is whether she'd eat cat food.
Posted by I have always been... east coaster on April 22, 2013 at 3:17 PM · Report this