Friday, April 19, 2013

Manhunt Continues for At-Large Boston Bombing Suspect

Posted by on Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Dzhokar Tsarnaev
  • Via FBI
  • Dzhokar Tsarnaev
Paul posted a blow-by-blow on last night's manhunt (and I covered the related MIT officer shooting before that) for the suspects of the Boston Marathon bombings. More good summaries are at Slate and AMERICABlog.

In short: One of the suspects has reportedly been shot and killed by police. He is 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who was identified yesterday as suspect 1. The other suspect is his brother, 19-year old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev named by the FBI as suspect 2, who is still on the loose.

Police are blanketing Watertown. This seems to be the best summary of the situation right now:

Boston and its surburbs, universities and transit system were on total lockdown Friday as police hunted for marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev — on the loose after his accomplice brother was killed in a stunning chain of events that left one cop dead and another injured, officials said.

Authorities were confronting a double-edged nightmare: a ruthless killer at large in a densely populated area and a four-mile stretch of road possibly littered with explosive devices tossed from the suspects' getaway vehicle during a wild chase and firefights.

Two unidentified people were taken into custody at the Cambridge, Mass., home where Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his older brother Tamerlan grew up, but they were not being described as additional suspects. Three dozen FBI agents were ringing the house.

Twitter is stuffed with misinformation, but it also has the best, up-to-the-minute accurate information. Sift through it all here at the hashtag #Watertown.

UPDATE 7:19 AM: Al Jazeera is reporting, "Police have detained two other people being described as accomplices and not suspects" and that all of Boston remains on lockdown, while police have sealed a 12-block district. Meanwhile, lots of people are tweeting photos like this one of officers surrounding a home:

UPDATE 7:50 AM: The New Republic has an interesting read on Chechnya:

The U.S. hasn’t paid much attention to Chechnya since the early 2000s, when the Bush Administration largely declined to intervene as rebels fought a bloody war against Russia. But with the news that the suspected Boston bombers were ethnic Chechens who moved to the United States from Dagestan in 2002, it’s time to get caught up on the separatist, predominantly Muslim Caucasian province. We’ll have more soon, but here’s what to read now:

The Council on Foreign Relations’ backgrounder on Chechen terrorism, which describes the attacks Chechen nationals have launched in public places, against Russian-backed government buildings, on apartment buildings and trains. Chechnya has also been an Al Qaeda recruiting ground.

Read the whole thing.

UPDATE 10:00 AM: Here's a link to the Boston police scanner, where there's some interesting acitvity. The standard warning applies: Not every comment on the scanner is necessarily the gospel truth and some of it's rumor, etc. and so forth.

Since when is the Stranger opposed to posting rumors, innuendo, and misinformation?

Is t that cute? Little fag Dominic thinks it's a journalist.
Posted by Djdjchbcch h on April 19, 2013 at 7:14 AM · Report this
Last of the Time Lords 2
"Twitter is stuffed with misinformation, but it also has the best, up-to-the-minute accurate information"

In other words just pick and chose what you want to believe...kinda like Fox News or CNN or The New York Post.
Posted by Last of the Time Lords on April 19, 2013 at 7:19 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 3
Boston is basically under Marshal Law. Escaped suspect says he was set up. Hard to believe if he's throwing bombs at police. They also seem pretty stupid that they didn't expect there would be photos of them planting bombs. But the photos seem to have flushed them out. Their bad planning is baffling.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on April 19, 2013 at 7:36 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 4
Yeah, what #2 said.

Remember when Dan Rather lost his job because of a lack of diligence in fact-checking?

This is the whole goddamn interweb right now: Reddit, Slog, Twitter, the whole fucking lot. No editors, no fact-checking.

Remember the right-wing shitstorm over Rather's reporting?

Look, I crave up-to-date news too, but being told 'It's out there, mixed in with the crap and it is anyone's guess what's true right now, have at it...' is shoddy and irresponsible.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on April 19, 2013 at 7:47 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 5
He's sort of cute. Needs a better haircut, but other than that.....
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on April 19, 2013 at 7:51 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 6
@5, I KNOW!! Like totally doable in a terrorist crazy sorta way!! Gotta love those high standards!!
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on April 19, 2013 at 7:56 AM · Report this
Dominic Holden 7
@4) I'm doing my best to quote reliable sources and omit the deluge of questionable information. I linked to the Twitter hashtag because it's obviously useful--people around the world are following it--so it would be stupid for me to leave it out of a post on breaking news. But I, responsibly, provided a caveat that much of it is speculation. If you think linking to Twitter during breaking news is some sort of felony, then you are in for a very disappointing experience on the internet. I suggest you just switch to cable news.
Posted by Dominic Holden on April 19, 2013 at 7:59 AM · Report this
Last of the Time Lords 8
@7 If you don't know it then don't report it. You could learn a thing or two from Pete Williams at NBC
Posted by Last of the Time Lords on April 19, 2013 at 8:03 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 9
Cato dear, I have never been known for my high standards, particularly where men are concerned.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on April 19, 2013 at 8:03 AM · Report this
Dominic Holden 10
@8) The information I have reported in this post comes from NBC, Al Jazeera, the New Republic, and a photo. Those are all solid sources.
Posted by Dominic Holden on April 19, 2013 at 8:07 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 11
@Dom, I didn't say anything was felonious. I realize too that crowd-sourced internet-provided news is a genie that's never, ever going to be stuffed back into its bottle.

Here's hoping, instead, that enough redditors (ugh, I hate that word!) realize what just occurred, and wait next time before going off half-cocked. And twitterers, and everyone else.

Frankly, I wish I could just fast-forward a month and read whatever three-page detailed article appears in the NYT covering this story.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on April 19, 2013 at 8:08 AM · Report this
Dominic Holden 12
@11) Don't blame me for your problems with Reddit and Twitter. I haven't been part of the issue you're having.
Posted by Dominic Holden on April 19, 2013 at 8:11 AM · Report this
sperifera 13
@11 - That's really the whole point isn't it? You used to have to wait a day/week/month to get any story (much less a 3 page detailed article), but with today's new media, you pretty much get the info as it is happening. I'm happy to sift through the flotsam and jetsam to get real-time info. If you prefer to wait a day/week/month, be my guest.

Twitter has been *crushing* the traditional media recently during any big news story. That's hard to deny...
Posted by sperifera on April 19, 2013 at 8:18 AM · Report this
I think Dominic Holden & Co are doing a decent job of posting up to date information and also screening out the BS. Quit your belly aching, guys.
Posted by Ken Mehlman on April 19, 2013 at 8:23 AM · Report this
Hey, I told you all yesterday: young, homegrown, Chechen Moslems. Did anyone listen?
Posted by Underemployed Drone on April 19, 2013 at 8:32 AM · Report this
pragmatic 16
@15 a broken watch, etc, etc
Posted by pragmatic on April 19, 2013 at 8:42 AM · Report this
sperifera 17
@15 - Umm, no. If you haven't figured it out by now, I'll frame it for you. [ No one on Slog listens to you ] There. Have a nice day.
Posted by sperifera on April 19, 2013 at 8:47 AM · Report this
venomlash 18
@15: I told you all yesterday, young, angry white men. Whaddaya know, we were both right.
Actually, you're still wrong about most things, but the Muslim bit was correct.
Posted by venomlash on April 19, 2013 at 8:47 AM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 19
Heh. Now Reddit appears to be under a Ddos attack.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on April 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM · Report this
@18 well, not exactly country club white, more like Borat-white honey.

I hope you all enjoy eating that crow I cooked up for you.
Posted by Underemployed Drone on April 19, 2013 at 8:53 AM · Report this
Dominic Holden 21
@19) Wait a second. I'm sourcing NBC and other mainstream sources, and for that, you're accusing me of spreading "shoddy and irresponsible" rumors. (From NBC!) But now you're in here with an unsourced claim about a Ddos attack? It appears Dr Awesome is the wrong handle for you.
Posted by Dominic Holden on April 19, 2013 at 8:57 AM · Report this
biffp 22
Agree with Dominic. These are good sources, and I'm very interested in info on Chechnya having missed everything since the theater hostage taking, which was horrible. I'm completely missing why someone attacks the country that took them in as a child.
Posted by biffp on April 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM · Report this
" I'm completely missing why someone attacks the country that took them in as a child."

Don't worry, the blame whitey, social justice, victim of the month club is working on that as we argue.
Posted by Underemployed Drone on April 19, 2013 at 9:01 AM · Report this
@22 -- They haven't attacked any countries. The planted some bombs at a marathon and got into a bomb and gun battle with the police.
Posted by six shooter on April 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 25
@ 21, that was rather petty, wasn't it?

@ 22, we still don't know why they did what they did. As long as that's the case, we can't say "they attacked the country." They attacked the Boston Marathon. Is it symbolic of the entire country, the way the Twin Towers and the Pentagon were? We don't know.
Posted by Matt from Denver on April 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM · Report this
Somebody predicted that the bombers would turn out to be foreign born and have an Islamic religious background. Now who was that . . .
Posted by Ken Mehlman on April 19, 2013 at 9:10 AM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 27
For once I agree with Ken Mehlman @14.

I was reading all sorts of crazy inaccurate shit on twitter last night before I went to bed (note to self: twitter is a cesspool of bad information). The Stranger has been pretty responsible reporting on relatively reliable sources. They've rightfully ignored anything coming from Fox, CNN, or the NY Post. Dom correctly cautioned readers about the twitter feed. I don't get the hate.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on April 19, 2013 at 9:10 AM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 28
All this for one 19 year old. WOW America just loves a show.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on April 19, 2013 at 9:11 AM · Report this
biffp 29
Semantics are certainly important. We should definitely wait to find out if they had issues with marathon runners. Maybe they hated Back Bay. Get a fucking life.
Posted by biffp on April 19, 2013 at 9:11 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 30
@ 29, take your own advice and you won't appear to be such an ass clown all the time.
Posted by Matt from Denver on April 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 31
Ah, but then Mehlman returns to true dickish form @26.

Thanks for scapegoating a whole religion, asshole.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on April 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM · Report this
biffp 32
@30, you take inane to a new level. You are the stupidest fucking commenter on here. Stfu.
Posted by biffp on April 19, 2013 at 9:15 AM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 33
@26

I was in that tiny and hated group...

I believe that recent events entitle me to at least one general “I TOLD YOU SO!” to the rest of Slog.

((PERSONAL TO FNARF- When you recover from the vapors adequately to operate your keyboard again, I’ll let you make an anonymous (but generous) donation to the NRA instead of vacating Slog forever (as you had originally suggested).))
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on April 19, 2013 at 9:18 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 34
@ 32, ROFLMAO.... We both know that's not true. Now, stop being a butthurt baby and grow up. You'll actually be taken seriously by... well, someone.
Posted by Matt from Denver on April 19, 2013 at 9:20 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 35
@ 33, but you didn't tell us so, because you didn't know. You were guessing. And as of yet, we still don't know why.

Anyway, you're still on record claiming that the number two possibility was a leftist, even though we can statistically demonstrate why lefties are the last people one should suspect, and why homegrown white conservatives should have been that high on your list.
Posted by Matt from Denver on April 19, 2013 at 9:23 AM · Report this
biffp 36
@34, no one gives a shit what you think. You're a joke.
Posted by biffp on April 19, 2013 at 9:23 AM · Report this
Matt from Denver 37
@ 36, re-read our little back and forth and pretend that it took place between two other sloggers. Who would you say is winning?

Now, since you haven't found your pacifier, I'll leave you to one more immature little outburst, as I have more important things to do than flame someone who isn't as good as it as me. It's not sporting.
Posted by Matt from Denver on April 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 38
This thread is a train wreck.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on April 19, 2013 at 9:33 AM · Report this
biffp 39
@37, I'm glad to see you're conceding defeat. That's a learning moment for you.

Don't pretend you have anything important to do. You never post anything other than you think you superior. No one agrees. You're totally irrelevant. A blowhard loser.
Posted by biffp on April 19, 2013 at 9:33 AM · Report this
@31 I don't think we should blame all moslems for terrorism. I don't think we should pretend that people w/ an Islamic religious background are not more likely to be involved in this sort of thing. How many terrorist attacks against America have been perpetrated by Hindus, or Buddhists, or Jews?
Posted by Ken Mehlman on April 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM · Report this
Yikes. I own a house on Dexter Ave (where that picture was taken) and went to the same high school (decades apart) as one of the suspects!
Posted by randoma on April 19, 2013 at 9:38 AM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 42
@35
But I did tell you so, because I did know:

“We shall see in good time... If its not this Muslim, it'll be some other Muslim. Guaranteed.”

I even gave you my personal guarantee, which I stand by now.
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on April 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM · Report this
Julie in Eugene 43
So... I have a question. Didn't we see a photo last night of a naked guy being taken into custody? Was that the guy who died? If so... how did he die in a shootout when he looked fine while being taken into custody? Was it someone else?
Posted by Julie in Eugene on April 19, 2013 at 9:49 AM · Report this
Rotten666 44
@38 SLOG has been a train wreck all week. But yeah, this is some embarrassing shit right here.
Posted by Rotten666 on April 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM · Report this
WILL YOU ASSHOLES PLEASE START YOUR OWN SUBREDDIT and let us know when

a: you've finally decided who was right-est
b: you've given up and decided to fuck each other's mouths instead
Posted by six shooter on April 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM · Report this
Gern Blanston 46
@43 I was about to ask the same question. Who is the naked guy who was taken into custody if the older brother is dead and the younger brother is still on the run?
Posted by Gern Blanston on April 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 47
@46
Unless it was the older brother and he was silenced after he was taken into custody because they didn't like the story he was telling.
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on April 19, 2013 at 10:08 AM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 48
To @46's point. Who is this guy and what has become of him: http://boston.cbslocal.com/video/8790685…
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on April 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM · Report this
raindrop 49
@9: Except for Mr. Vel-DuRay I assume.
Posted by raindrop on April 19, 2013 at 10:22 AM · Report this
Cascadian 50
I was following this on Twitter last night, which was spreading the identities of two completely different people at one point, based on a police scanner. So you can't trust tweets.

That caveat aside, those same sources on Twitter said that the man stripped naked by the police was later cleared and released. On the other hand, they're also holding a couple "accomplices" in custody, so it could be one of them.
Posted by Cascadian on April 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM · Report this
@3, "Hard to believe if he's throwing bombs at police."

Well now, @3, with all the cctv/cams in Boston, no doubt there is footage of the chase and bombs throwing, huh?

But perhaps the BPD are getting these guys confused with Sacco and Vanzetti, huh?

It could very well be that these two are the perpetrators, but in the present era, when odious laws have been passed giving the FBI, CIA, DHS, etc., extraordinary powers, where subsidiaries of Boeing (Narus, Jeppesen) routinely profit from the torture and death of innocents and, in some cases, pro-demcracy activists, when America, China, Iran, Syria, etc., have the use of the Trovicor Monitoring Center, the state-of-the-art in automated intelligence platforms, which can intercept and doctor up just about anything, true stories require considerably more proof than still photos, and directives from the go'vt and the feebs of the FBI.

(When the talking twat "reporter" on CNN wonders aloud as to why ever would the FBI want to clear all the reporters away from the alleged bombers apartment/house, obvious logic would suggest to anyone with an average brain that the FBI was either afraid that's where their bomb-building took place, and therefore it still posed a danger, or that they needed to plant bomb-building materials at their apartment, etc.)
Posted by sgt_doom on April 19, 2013 at 10:53 AM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 52
Most days, Raindrop dear, most days..... ;-)
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on April 19, 2013 at 11:06 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 53
@44: I am just glad I got a chance, albeit accidently, to c-c-c-combo break the most train wreckiest part of it.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on April 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM · Report this
@48 Interesting question. Meanwhile, eyewitness accounts place the older, dead brother at the scene of the younger brother's escape after the shootout, being on the ground, shot up, and being run over by the escaping brother in the SUV just before he plowed through police lines. The older brother was apparently still alive at that point, but died shortly later in the hospital. Doctors described his fatal injuries as numerous. Some reporters said that he was wearing a suicide vest, others that they found a detonator on his body. I don't know if either of these has been confirmed officially.
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on April 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 55
@54
I was listening to the scanner last night, total chaos, sounded like a war. The dead brother detonated a suicide device after being wounded and taken in to custody. Beth Israel hospital went under Code Black (Bomb threat). There photos of the corpse have been leaked and it looks like he has injuries consistent with the detonation of a small explosive device.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on April 19, 2013 at 4:16 PM · Report this