and Drunks

Monday, April 8, 2013

Watch President Obama's Speech on Gun Control

Posted by on Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Earlier today, President Obama traveled to Hartford, Connecticut to speak about the importance of gun control. It's a good speech, reminiscent of Obama's State of the Union address from earlier this year, when he called for a simple up-or-down vote for the families of Newtown victims. During the speech, Obama urges Americans to call their representatives and demand a vote. Here's the whole thing:

Good for the President but I'm not too optimistic. Repubs have promised to filibuster every dang thing.
Posted by Patricia Kayden on April 8, 2013 at 6:43 PM · Report this
Fifty-Two-Eighty 2
Filibuster or not, it doesn't make a bit of difference. He doesn't have the votes for it either way.
Posted by Fifty-Two-Eighty http://www.nra.org on April 8, 2013 at 6:45 PM · Report this
Lew Siffer 3
Bad move to start from the extremist position of banning assault rifles and semi automatics. You don't want my guns, oh really?
Posted by Lew Siffer on April 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 4
@5280,

Although it does point out how terrified the repubs are to take a stand in either direction. This is what the dems should be pointing out.

Must be a sweet job being in congress... Your boss gives you an assignment but you tell the boss you can't do the assignment because it might make the boss fire you.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on April 8, 2013 at 7:34 PM · Report this
Must have made the gun nuts nervous, since within an hour of the speech ending, my stepdad had forwarded numerous "death to Obama" and "cold dead hands" e-mails to me.
This from a guy who screamed at me on how un-American I was when I casually mentioned that Bush choking on a pretzel could have been a blessing in disguise for the whole world - if only he'd been by himself.

Posted by StuckInUtah on April 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 6
Lots of activity on the Density Simulator tonight.

Here's what density is like at 11 pm:

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on April 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 7

#6 cont'd

Hey, I thought the Big Apple never sleeps!

Seems kind of...vacant right now.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on April 8, 2013 at 10:29 PM · Report this
dirac 8
Yawn. Another ineffectual speech. They're good as far as they go, but this guy's no Lincoln (no matter how much his ego wishes it).

I must admit I'm not seeing how an assault weapons ban is a good place to start. What about the gun show loopholes, background checks, and increased funding for mental health?

We should be promoting the hell out of mental health. Repubs should be made to admit that their their own personal Jesus Ronnie was utterly wrong.
Posted by dirac on April 9, 2013 at 7:32 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 9
@3: more slippery slope hysteria.

the "extremist" position is: repeal the 2nd, institute austrailian/british control over weapons, confiscate non-compiant weapons.

no one in government is proposing that.
Posted by Max Solomon on April 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM · Report this
Big Sven 10
@9: pistols are semi-automatic weapons. I can fire all 17 rounds out of a Glock in about 10 seconds (though I won't be able to hit the backside of a fucking barn.) Two Glocks equals one 34 round AR-15. If you really think access to semi-automatic weapons should be restricted, then you have to take away my Glock. And you can't have it.

See why gun owners don't like the proposed semi-auto ban?
Posted by Big Sven http://onedatapoint.blogspot.com/ on April 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 11
jeez, big sven - i didn't say i personally wanted to seize your precious. i was laying out what an "extremist position" on gun control might be. i know what a fucking semi-automatic pistol is because this retarded debate will never end.

enlighten me, what is the "ban" on semi-automatics that obama wants to enact?
Posted by Max Solomon on April 9, 2013 at 4:20 PM · Report this