and Drunks

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Land of the Free

Posted by on Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Uruguay:

The Uruguay Senate, in approving a bill on April 2, 2013, to legalize same-sex marriage, has moved to guarantee marriage equality and diminish discrimination, Human Rights Watch said. The vote was 23 to 8. Uruguay would be the 12th country to approve same-sex marriage nationwide. The lower house of Uruguay’s legislature voted in December 2012 to legalize same-sex marriage. The Senate bill included some modifications, including a measure to raise the minimum age for marriage to 16 for everyone, instead of the present age 12 for girls and 14 for boys. Human Rights Watch urges all countries to eliminate child marriage and to adopt 18 as a minimum age for marriage for both sexes.

Reconciling Uruguay's Senate and House marriage equality bills is a formality. This is a done deal: marriage equality is coming to Uruguay.

wow.

Uruguay.
Posted by Ur.u.guay...... on April 2, 2013 at 3:44 PM · Report this
Fortunate 2
This is actually starting to get embarrassing. Uruguay now is going to have same sex marriage before the whole of the US? Really?

I mean, I'm thrilled for Uruguay. Good for them. But the US becomes more and more of an embarrassment every day as more countries enter the 21st century and we cling to the 19th.
Posted by Fortunate on April 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM · Report this
I've heard that Montevideo is a lovely city as well. I've always wanted to visit South America.
Posted by Corydon on April 2, 2013 at 3:49 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 4
lol Uaregay
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on April 2, 2013 at 5:08 PM · Report this
Gracias, Uruguay!
Posted by spinifex on April 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM · Report this
Sweet! Two wins!
Posted by JudT on April 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM · Report this
Good grief, America. The further we go, the behinder we get. But hey, we still lead on the most prisoners and the most guns per household. USA! USA! USA!
Posted by kwodell on April 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM · Report this
Pridge Wessea 8
@4 - since you rarely have an independent creative thought of your own, did you get that from Beavis and Butt-head?
Posted by Pridge Wessea on April 2, 2013 at 7:09 PM · Report this
@5 That's actually from the Simpsons.
Posted by SolM on April 2, 2013 at 9:58 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 10
Good christ.

Uruguay is now more progressive than the United States.

* sigh *
Posted by Reverse Polarity on April 2, 2013 at 10:00 PM · Report this
@3: I lived in S America for 3 years and I can assure you that Montevideo is NOT a lovely city. Of all my travels in Bolivia, Peru, Argentina, and Uruguay, I can say that it was the ugliest, least interesting city I spent time in. Colonia, Uruguay, however, is fabulous.
Posted by Me encanta sud america on April 2, 2013 at 10:08 PM · Report this
@11 I may not have lived in S. America but have travelled Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay. And I disagree, my partner and I Loved Montevideo. The people are lovely, the food was Amazing, and the city was fun in a relaxing way. And the coast of Uruguay is very beautiful and relaxing, you can totally avoid the crowds of Rio or Buenos Aires. I'm so happy to hear that the government of such a lovely place is so liberal and equality minded.
Posted by geekyscientist on April 3, 2013 at 8:51 AM · Report this
Uruguayan weighing in here... YAY! Very proud today
Posted by majordeeganz on April 3, 2013 at 6:11 PM · Report this
stinky 14
Uruguay is a fairly cool place to visit- went there a few years ago to bike and drink tannat-based wines. A ferry ride away from Buenos Aires. There is plenty to eat and drink, and the beaches, which we didn't visit, are a regional treasure. A much more interesting place to visit in mid-winter to bulk up on vitamin D than the usual northern hemisphere choices, IMO. A certain amount of evident anti-Americanism among hospitality workers was a little bit chilling, though. Best to have some Spanish. Little of the wine is imported here and what I've been able to find in the northwest is ho-hum.
Posted by stinky on April 4, 2013 at 7:36 AM · Report this