Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Next Up in the Slog Netflix Streaming Club: Freaks & Geeks, "Kim Kelly Is My Friend"

Posted by on Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Netflix Streaming is the streaming video service ready to shoot several thousand movies and TV shows onto your TV and/or computer screen. The selection is a gloriously random array of "Hollywood hits!," beloved classics, and off-brand delights. For the Slog Netflix Streaming Club, we'll all watch the same thing on Netflix Streaming, then discuss it here on Slog.

FREAKS & GEEKS Episode four, bitches!
  • FREAKS & GEEKS Episode four!

Following the so-bad-it's-good TV movie Someone I Touched and the so-fascinating-you'll-ignore-the-crappier-parts documentary The Imposter, the third installment of the Slog Netflix Streaming Club draws from the service's vast collection of television programs—specifically, the legendarily brilliant and still somehow underrated series Freaks & Geeks.

For those already familiar with the Freaks & Geeks universe, proceed directly to episode four: "Kim Kelly Is My Friend." (And if you haven't already read GQ Vanity Fair's oral history of the show, you must.)

For those taking the plunge for the first time, you should watch at least the first episode of the show before diving into "Kim Kelly Is My Friend." (And if you end up watching episodes 1, 2, 3, and 4, and then the whole series, over and over, I won't be surprised.)

Watch "Kim Kelly Is My Friend" on Netflix Streaming anytime you want, and we'll discuss it here on Slog this coming Monday starting at 11 am.

rob! 1
(Vanity Fair's history of the show)
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on March 27, 2013 at 12:33 PM · Report this
David Schmader 2
Thanks, fixed!
Posted by David Schmader on March 27, 2013 at 12:38 PM · Report this
Fnarf 3
Still the best thing that's ever been on TV. I would go so far as to say it is the ONLY TRUE show about high school that has ever aired. It is to the second-best show about high school as the New York Philharmonic is to the sound of me farting in bed in my sleep.

I think my favorite episode is "The Garage Door", though "The Diary" ("You're a butt patter, you like to pat boy's butts") is pretty good too, as is the finale (Lindsay getting her freak on to "Box of Rain" by the Grateful Dead). "Kim Kelly Is My Friend" is a great, terrifying, episode.

Paul Feig did a fantastic series of episode walkthroughs for The AV Club too. Here's the one for "Kim Kelly Is My Friend": http://www.avclub.com/articles/paul-feig…
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on March 27, 2013 at 1:02 PM · Report this
"Kim Kelly is My Friend" is the episode that completely and totally won me over. It also changed my perception of Kim from an irritating character whom I did not like to one of my two favorite characters of the show. (Bill being the other).
Posted by SolM on March 27, 2013 at 1:32 PM · Report this
Kim Kelly Is My Friend is one of the best examples of how Judd Apatow can create a character that you hate, and then make you love them, and feel bad for having hated them.
Posted by Ben on March 27, 2013 at 1:34 PM · Report this
very bad homo 6
This show was amazing, so sad that it didn't make it beyond one short season.
Posted by very bad homo on March 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM · Report this
Soupytwist 7
THIS IS MY FAVORITE EPISODE. YAY!!!
Posted by Soupytwist http://twitter.com/katherinesmith on March 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM · Report this
litlnemo 8
I love this show so damn much. I guess it helps that I was in tenth grade the year it takes place. So many of the show's details are just spot-on.
Posted by litlnemo http://slumberland.org/ on March 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM · Report this
I bought the series on DVD when it came out, and have rewatched it about once a year for the last decade. It is warm and heartbreaking and painful, and reminds me of how dreary the 80s were.
Posted by Chris Jury http://www.thebismarck.net on March 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM · Report this
Keekee 10
Loved this show, but must admit that some of the dialogue & music used did not not accurately represent 1980's High School life.
Posted by Keekee on March 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM · Report this