Tuesday, March 26, 2013

What Do You Think of the Bronies Trailer?

Posted by on Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 3:21 PM

The Kickstarter-funded documentary about male My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fans, Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony, is now available for sale. Here's a trailer:

What do you think?

(Via Cartoon Brew.)

Lily Fluffbottom 1
My cousin is a brony, and the weird creepy perverted shit that he posts on his facebook all day probably isn't even mentioned in this documentary. In which case it is biased and bullshit.
Posted by Lily Fluffbottom on March 26, 2013 at 3:34 PM · Report this
Haven't seen it. Spoken with a number of people who have watched pirated copies. Apparently it's just a really lame self-aggrandizing circle-jerk. Not even interesting in the "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" voyeuristic sense.
Posted by GermanSausage on March 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM · Report this
tabletop_joe 3
Fan culture is annoying no matter who are the fans or what they're fans of. I'm glad they're having fun. I don't really want to watch a movie about it, personally.
Posted by tabletop_joe on March 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM · Report this
I'm fine with bronies and support how they're (largely) queering masculinity, but this particular documentary displayed a lot of "boys taking girls' cool things" and significantly undercovered female fans*. If this were presented specifically in a gender commentary context, it would send a stronger message.

* I've seen some definitions of "brony" as a fan outside the target demographic, whether by gender or by age, which includes older female fans.
Posted by MemeGene on March 26, 2013 at 4:20 PM · Report this
very bad homo 5
As a boy who played with dolls in the 70's, I'm ok with this.
Posted by very bad homo on March 26, 2013 at 4:26 PM · Report this
Zebes 6
What GermanSausage @2 said. The film itself is a self-aggrandizing circlejerk. Thanks for the second post in as many days inviting criticism, though.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on March 26, 2013 at 4:38 PM · Report this
venomlash 7
This is too soon after the guy complaining about his waifu being degraded...
Posted by venomlash on March 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM · Report this
but Krieger-san!!
Posted by The CHZA on March 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM · Report this
seandr 9
What about the part where the guys masturbate with their little ponies?
Posted by seandr on March 26, 2013 at 5:53 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 10
I couldn't make it half way through the trailer, so I suspect I'm not their target audience. I got no problem with fandom of any sort, but I'd rather drown in a pool of vomit than watch an entire documentary about these guys.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on March 26, 2013 at 6:43 PM · Report this
stinkbug 11
@10: The tone changes halfway through it. Kinda.
Posted by stinkbug on March 26, 2013 at 7:48 PM · Report this
sirkowski 12
I'm a brony and I'm afraid to watch that trailer.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on March 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM · Report this
mikethehammer 13
I think Lindy West captured the appeal of brony-ism (at least the majority of them) in her essay on 'The Different Kinds of People There Are in the World' when she cataloged "People Who Claim to be Afraid of Clowns" thusly...

"These people (and they are numerous) are attempting to cultivate a cute quirk, but they are really just aping a cute quirk cultivated by thousands of cute-quirk-cultivators before them in a giant, gross, boring feedback loop."
Posted by mikethehammer on March 26, 2013 at 9:48 PM · Report this
camlux 14
My first reaction was Pathetic weird losers.
My second reaction was: But wait, I'm a Firefly browncoat fan. Some might consider that weird as well.
My third reaction was: Naah! Browncoats on grownups are still cool. Worshiping plastic pony dolls (in many creepy ways) is pathetic and weird.
Posted by camlux on March 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM · Report this
OutInBumF 15
These young men remind me of the Japanese guys running around wearing bras. Oddly creepy. Soon young women will decide jockstraps are a fashion accessory- you heard it here first.
Posted by OutInBumF on March 27, 2013 at 1:13 AM · Report this
Fnarf 16
It seems to me that very few "Bronies" would still be interested in their bogus hobby if they knew that people weren't watching them do it.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on March 27, 2013 at 7:10 AM · Report this
sirkowski 17
@13 Except that's wrong.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on March 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM · Report this
Wow, anything prompting this level of hipster hategasms HAS to be worth a view...
Posted by DonServo on March 27, 2013 at 7:35 PM · Report this
Just wondering, how are they "creepy"? Do people who honestly enjoy (not cloppers, those guys are freaks) ponies in a non-deviant and non-sexual manor REALLY scare you? That's like saying, "That guy's wearing pink...it's creepy!" I just don't understand how any person is "creepy" just because they're different.

I am a girl, so don't come back at me with that "You're a creepy manchild" shit. I just want to know: How? How are they creepy? Why do they SCARE you?

Of all things, you'd think that a guy who likes something so innocent would have better morals than any regular person walking down the street! Love & Tolerance is their motto, for God's sake! What about that scares you? HOW??? Whoever is creeped out by these guys honestly needs to see someone, because if you're that paranoid or judgemental...

Done ranting.