and Drunks

Monday, March 25, 2013

Today in Seattle's Only City

Posted by on Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM

That city is connected by the Link. If you are not on the Link, you are not in a city. When you are in the city, you travel at magnificent speeds across urban space. Today at 9:50 am, the trip between Columbia City and the International Distract took 11 minutes, which in urban terms is practically the speed of light.

20130325_085330_edit_1.jpeg

Granny Smith 1
It takes me one hour from my front door to westlake station by train or twenty minutes by car. Both ways require a car. The parking is free at tuckwiller station but there is a 50/50 chance of finding a space at the too small parking lot. I want to use the train and sometimes do (last Thursday even) but it certainly isn't convenient.
Posted by Granny Smith on March 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM · Report this
Granny Smith 2
Or fast
Posted by Granny Smith on March 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM · Report this
Fnarf 3
Eleven minutes sounds about right for a car trip between those two points. Transit will never achieve critical mass until it consistently beats a car, and by a good margin -- especially in a city with copious cheap parking at either end. It's the parking at the ID end that really makes Link work out, actually; if you're going to be there longer than a couple of hours you'll have to hit a lot, for $10. But if there's three or four of you, that's cheaper than the train.

It's a great idea, but it's not quite there yet.

The Hummer bicycle, on the other hand, will NEVER be there. Though maybe I'm wrong -- a folding bicycle with a giant HUMMER logo might just be dorky enough to come out the other side and be cool.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on March 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM · Report this
emor 4
@3

Nope, your first instinct is correct. Tha bike sucks and will never, ever be considered cool by anyone who likes bikes.
Posted by emor on March 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM · Report this
I'm not on the Link. Therefore I'm not in the city. Therefore Chucky will pay my property taxes.
Posted by Unbrainwashed on March 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM · Report this
seandr 6
Charles Mudede, getting places on the Link, pondering the city.
Posted by seandr on March 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM · Report this
treacle 7
So much bummer that I am not "in the/a city" even though I bicycle to work. SADFACE

(Also, a picture of a "Hummer" bicycle?!? WTF? That is an insult to bicycles and bicyclists. Quit mixing your metaphors already!)
Posted by treacle on March 25, 2013 at 12:24 PM · Report this
Doctor Memory 8
Fnarf@3: the HUMMER bicycle is actually just a co-branding promotional deal that Hummer did with Montague Folding Bikes a few years ago. Unfortunate and ugly, but they're (Montague, that is) a small company and I don't blame 'em for taking some quick cash from GM.

They're (thankfully) no longer making the Hummer model, but they have a wide range of less awfully branded models, and they're actually kinda awesome. (Disclaimer: I own one and have for years.)
Posted by Doctor Memory http://blahg.blank.org on March 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 9
I'm pretty sure I could do Columbia City to I District in 11 minutes on a bike, but I'd probably be unpresentable when I got there.

Likewise in a car you can easily get from one point to the other in that time, but then you'd have to find parking and walk from where you parked to where you are going.

You take the train, you arrive un-sweaty but then you have to walk to your final destination. Which is cool.

And that bike is an abomination whether it's labeled Jeep, Hummer or Paratrooper. Mountain biking and folding do not go together happily.

Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on March 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM · Report this
The other day I say a Hummer--one of the fake, really a Chevy ones--with a bumper sticker that said "Proudly using all the gas your hybrid saves".

Think of the personality and mentality of that guy. It ain't pleasant.
Posted by ryanmm on March 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM · Report this
Doctor Memory 11
@10: I normally don't advocate keying people's cars or sugaring their gas tanks, but in that guy's case I'd happily make an exception.
Posted by Doctor Memory http://blahg.blank.org on March 26, 2013 at 8:26 AM · Report this
When I can go from SEA to Convention Place in 11 minutes, Chuck, that's when we have high-speed urban rail. What we have right now is a glorified bus on rails.
Posted by LunkRail on March 26, 2013 at 5:06 PM · Report this
bgk 13
I enjoy my 16 minute Mt Baker to Westlake commute.
Posted by bgk on April 12, 2013 at 8:49 AM · Report this