Thursday, March 21, 2013

More George W. Bush Art!

Posted by on Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM

His paintings continue, folks, to be just like his presidency, as in, you cannot believe they are real. The latest batch includes dogs, watermelons, and golf courses. It must be said that the man knows his (GMO) grapes. Meanwhile, his dogs are a thing to behold, and also a thing that needs holding, as in they need holding up because they are all weirdly floating. THE SPOTTED HORSE. Piercing stare on that one.

Guccifer, we salute you. You are a fine American, even if you are not an American.

I find his (terrible) art weirdly endearing. Also embarrassing.
Posted by ohthetrees on March 21, 2013 at 2:49 PM · Report this
Oh lawd, he signs them 43.
Posted by GermanSausage on March 21, 2013 at 2:50 PM · Report this
Have mercy on us, W.
Posted by wseacat on March 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM · Report this
sperifera 4
To be honest (not that I'm any expert on art), I think he is a better painter than he was a leader. But what do I know?
Posted by sperifera on March 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM · Report this
DOUG. 5
I wish he was painting those from his prison cell.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on March 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM · Report this
Baconcat 6
NEW ICON
Posted by Baconcat on March 21, 2013 at 3:10 PM · Report this
rob! 7
I'd suggest someone send him Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, but I'm pretty sure he's drawing on the only half-brain in his possession.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on March 21, 2013 at 3:12 PM · Report this
bpb's artpouring 8
The sunset painting heralds him, decisively, as the successor to Frederic Edwin Church.
Posted by bpb's artpouring http://bpbartpour.blogspot.com/ on March 21, 2013 at 3:17 PM · Report this
At least he's painting. I might hate the dude, but it's sad that people belittle his creative outlet.

He's not pretending to be a professional artist, he just likes to paint. That is commendable.
Posted by lopes on March 21, 2013 at 3:18 PM · Report this
bpb's artpouring 10
I hear tell there's a masterpiece waiting to be unveiled: 'Paul Wolfowitz With Comb'.
Posted by bpb's artpouring http://bpbartpour.blogspot.com/ on March 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM · Report this
Also, what @5 said.
Posted by lopes on March 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM · Report this
@6: Awesome!
Posted by gnossos on March 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM · Report this
rob! 13
That spotted horse is like a fever-dream mashup of the okapis he might have seen at Dallas Zoo and the bunker-buster bombs he hurled at Saddam.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on March 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM · Report this
emma's bee 14
I guess we could fairly call this outsider art.
Posted by emma's bee on March 21, 2013 at 3:27 PM · Report this
danewood 15
I actually kind of love these paintings. I think they're a fascinating insight into the man. They seem simple, distant, lonely. He's got a distinct style which is more than you can say for a lot of amateurs. There seems to be a lot of honest in them.
Posted by danewood on March 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM · Report this
JensR 16
I love the hand made Jesus sign and the weird babushka-dolls in the background of one of the photos.
Posted by JensR http://ohyran.se on March 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM · Report this
Am I the only one who recognizes the "horse" as a mule?
Posted by swing state voter on March 21, 2013 at 3:51 PM · Report this
SHEEPDOG IS TOTALLY A SELF-PORTRAIT
Posted by Bethany Jean Clement on March 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM · Report this
sirkowski 19
The next time I have to explain why I hate Outsider Art and Art Naïf, I will show them this.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on March 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM · Report this
danewood 20
Yes, @17, you're the only one. We should all strive to be as perceptive as you. And, God willing we are ever blessed with your immaculate skills of equine detectability, we should all comment about it just so everyone else knows that we know.
Posted by danewood on March 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM · Report this
That's the poignant thing - they're not that bad. Imagine if he'd followed this as his calling, rather than driving the country over a cliff.
Posted by Pope Buck I on March 21, 2013 at 4:04 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 22
They look like something done by my nieces or nephews when they were young, so at first it gives me an oddly sweet and innocent feeling. Then I notice that he signs them all "43", and I realize that even in his amateurish paintings, he's still a smarmy asshole.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on March 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM · Report this
GaryIndiana 23
It would make the ultimate conversation piece. I want one.
Posted by GaryIndiana http://garrettmukai.com on March 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM · Report this
AmyC 24
@9 - I'm with you in thinking that he doesn't deserve to be dumped on for his painting. I don't know that I would go so far as to say it's commendable, though. I would just say this is in the "here is a thing that exists" category of stuff in the world.
Posted by AmyC on March 21, 2013 at 4:07 PM · Report this
@20:
God, you're a pompous ass.

I found it strange that the author of that article identified it as a horse since it's so fucking obviously a mule and was wondering if anybody else thought the same.
Posted by swing state voter on March 21, 2013 at 4:07 PM · Report this
disintegrator 26
Bill Clinton starts the Clinton Foundation. W does... This.
Posted by disintegrator on March 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM · Report this
So long as this keeps his hands busy and off anything that starts a war, tortures people, trashes an economy, or potentially affects the public, why jump all over him? It's not like he said its great or even meant to put it out there. Shallow cheap shot.
Posted by urban_copilot on March 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM · Report this
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on March 21, 2013 at 4:42 PM · Report this
@28:
I remember that! Thanks for posting it.

@25:
Yeah, I agree, that's a mule.
Posted by been there and back again on March 21, 2013 at 4:56 PM · Report this
Cascadian Bacon 30
I am glad he is finally free do do what he wants after years of being a puppet for Cheney, Rove and daddy Bush.
Posted by Cascadian Bacon on March 21, 2013 at 5:29 PM · Report this
The dog behind bars (Bar?) is a German Wirehair Pointer or GWP.
Posted by ejamadoodle on March 21, 2013 at 6:06 PM · Report this
danewood 32
Relax @25, I'm just busting your chops.

@28 Brilliant. Thanks for posting.
Posted by danewood on March 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM · Report this
Sandiai 33
@17 and 25, I thought a horse/zebra hybrid (more for the shape).

Posted by Sandiai on March 21, 2013 at 8:04 PM · Report this
It's so tempting to psychoanalyse the paintings and their surroundings to death. Is that dark mutt gazing at the luxurious White House lawn from behind prison bars a representation of what George felt as President? Are all the dog pictures simply a reflection of his love for the low-maintenance, ceaselessly loyal creatures? Is the painting of the golf course with two tiny men in the distance a reflection of his isolation, or of the sheltered serenity that he feels when he's playing a round with a friend? And all the pictures of Western landscapes and sunsets and mulecows? Obviously he's a Texas rancher to the core. The fact that he signs his paintings "43"? He's apparently still proud of his time as President (even if not even his party wants to remember). And yeah, JenS, I noticed the Jesus sculpture. He's truly a devoted Christian, in his own form. Overall, I find an odd sadness to his paintings, but maybe that's just because I'm listening to darkly depressing music right now.

More than anything else, these accomplished hobbyist paintings confirm what I long ago concluded: Geoege W. Bush is a perfectly nice, decent guy who had no business being President, a perfectly good front for President Cheney, the real sick bastard who should be in jail.
Posted by floater on March 21, 2013 at 11:36 PM · Report this
Those grapes kick ass. I'm more impressed with his artistic ability now than before. Again, I'm not thrilled that people are using this as an opportunity to snigger about him and seek catharsis for his terrible presidency. It's his private hobby, he never put them out there.
Posted by MemeGene on March 22, 2013 at 4:47 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 36
He paints a hell of a lot better than I can. Not that this is really saying much.

I always thought that deep down, Bush thought he was doing the right things. He always struck me as a decent guy who simply was in way over his head, and was being used by people a lot smarter and less moral than him. Still a moral and personal failing, but I found it hard to hate the man the way a lot of people did.

I certainly hated Cheney, Rummy, and Ashcroft though. No problems there.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on March 22, 2013 at 5:44 AM · Report this
One Naked Mole Rat Cam post was enough!
Posted by butterw on March 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM · Report this