Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Will Jay Leno Destroy Jimmy Fallon the Way He Destroyed Conan O'Brien?

Posted by on Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM

The New York Times says that Jimmy Fallon is going to take over The Tonight Show next year.

While the network has yet to complete a deal, it has made a commitment to Jimmy Fallon, the current host of its “Late Night” program, to have him succeed Jay Leno as the next host of “Tonight,'’ according to several senior television executives involved in the decision. The show would move from Burbank, Calif., back to New York, where it first started in 1954 with Steve Allen as host.

Some details remain to be worked out, including an exact timetable for the switch, though it is expected to take place by the fall of 2014 at the latest, the executives said in interviews this week.

Most of you probably don't remember this, but there was a young man named Conan who, years ago, tried to take the Tonight Show throne from Jay Leno. Nobody heard from this Conan ever again. I find it hard to believe that Fallon can succeed where Conan failed. What do you think?

raku 1
What's this about a bunch of white dudes?
Posted by raku on March 20, 2013 at 1:50 PM · Report this
The Tonight Show died forever when Carson left. Please not another fucking Tonight Show. Were's the vote for The Jimmy Fallon Show with the Roots at 11:30pm?
Posted by gracey on March 20, 2013 at 1:51 PM · Report this
snacktruck 3
Geez louise, I kinda forgot how much I hate Leno. I do - a lot.

Fallon is pretty damn funny and really kinda gets it...I would not say he's more clever than Conan but he is a lot more multi-talented. And I love, LOVE Conan.
Posted by snacktruck on March 20, 2013 at 1:57 PM · Report this
Fnarf 4
The last classic late-night talk show was The Larry Sanders Show. That killed the category. Leno and Dave and the rest are basically holograms from the distant past.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on March 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM · Report this
delirian 5
Jay Leno will do whatever it takes to undermine Fallon while never actually directly confronting him. If NBC gives Leno the boot, he will be back on another network in a time slot that either directly competes with Fallon or is slightly earlier than Fallon, thus splintering the audience. When Fallon tanks, NBC will once again do everything they can to get Leno back.

My theory: Leno will go to E!, because Comcast owns that as well as NBC, which would allow him to jump straight back to NBC after Fallon fails.
Posted by delirian on March 20, 2013 at 2:10 PM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 6
What #2, said. The last night Johnny was on that was the last night for me
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on March 20, 2013 at 2:22 PM · Report this
matt 7
Fallon possesses the mainstream appeal that Conan lacked for greyhairs. He'll succeed. I still prefer Conan (and Dave and Jon/Stephen), as Fallon's very much a simpering suckup in the interview chair (like Leno), but he's not weird like Conan.
Posted by matt on March 20, 2013 at 2:43 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 8
What is this network television you keep yammering on about?

My dial goes to 998. Do you mean like the SyFy network? They just renewed Continuum.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on March 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 9
@5 sadly for the win.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on March 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 10
When I was young, I used to regularly watch the 11:00 news, then a bit of Johnny Carson before going to bed. It was sort of a routine.

That routine was predicated on having only 4 channels to choose from, and having nothing really better to do or watch before settling down for the night. Now there are a bazillion channels on cable, and dozens of comedians to choose from, not to mention Tivo, the internet, Netflix or DVDs, game consoles, and any number of other electronic distractions.

Posted by Reverse Polarity on March 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM · Report this
Letterman tried to edge out Leno and failed, leading Letterman to create a big and dumb "real" version of his formerly small and smart funny anti-talkshow talkshow. This is what is called, driving the competition crazy.
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://_ on March 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM · Report this
Still so much love for the Daily Show? It can get a bit smug and repetitive, no?
Posted by Amanda on March 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM · Report this
orino 13
I've always believed the reason Conan O'Brien failed on the Tonight Show was that he sucked. He's annoying, he's not funny, he's much too full of himself. In another life when I worked in radio, I was always told to remember that I was a guest in the listener's/viewer's home, and that the people who were successful in broadcasting were the ones people liked. Conan has never struck me as someone I'd want to hang out with...
Posted by orino http://www.scootinoldskool.com on March 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM · Report this
The leading answer is bogus: The Daily Show is on at 11 and over by the time the Tonight Show starts.
Posted by bigyaz on March 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM · Report this
Michael of the Green 15
Leno won't want to repeat the maneuvers that got him hated by so many; He'd try to look supportive of Jimmy in order to show that he's a swell guy. It might work (his audience is pretty dim), so I'd vote for what @2 says. Let Jimmy just move his show to 11:30 so it'd be clear that Leno killed the Tonight Show. That needs to be his legacy.
Posted by Michael of the Green on March 20, 2013 at 6:05 PM · Report this
Hulk 16
ALL THESE 'CARSON' REFERENCES CONFIRM WHAT HULK SUSPECT ALL ALONG! VERBOSE SEATTLE STRANGER COMMENTING KIBITZERS LARGELY COMPOSED OF BITTER, AGING, LONELY PEOPLE DESPERATE TO MAKE VOICE HEARD! CLING TO ELECTRONIC COMMUNITY, SIMULACRUM OF TRUE SOCIAL INTERACTION, FACADE OF AUTHENTICITY, FUTILE SEARCH FOR TRUTH, THE ILLUSION OF DANS LE VRAI... WHAT HULK SAYING?? HULK NEED TAKE NAP NOW, SLEEPY, SO SLEEPY... MOTHER? STOP TOUCHING ME THERE MOTHER! HULK SMASH!
Posted by Hulk Http://www.tinyurl.com/lonely-hulk on March 20, 2013 at 6:16 PM · Report this
fuck you hulk for making any joking reference to childhood sexual abuse. feeding the fucktard troll.
Posted by gracey on March 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM · Report this
TheRain 18
"I haven't watched Leno in years. But I don't regularly watch any of the others either—even those I like. I just occasionally watch clips of Stewart or Colbert or others online. The very idea of regularly watching any late-night comedian is completely anachronistic, and hasn't been relevant for 20 years. I don't know why any of them are still on the air. "

They're still on the air because they still get ratings, and as much as people hate to admit it Jay Leno is still the #1 rated late night show in America. This is fact, and not open to debate.
Posted by TheRain on March 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM · Report this
Hulk 19
WOW #17 GRACEY! PENT UP FRUSTRATION ABOUT THE UTTER DISAPPOINTMENT OF LIFE MUCH? CHILL THE FUCK OUT! HULK ONLY MAKING CRYPTIC GIBBY HAYNES REFERENCE FOR THE COOL KIDS!! BUT, ALAS, YOU PROVE HULK POINT PERFECTLY!! NO TROLLS INVOLVED!!! ONLY ÜBER-UPTIGHT AGING SEATTLITES!!
Posted by Hulk Http://www.tinyurl.com/lonely-hulk on March 20, 2013 at 8:12 PM · Report this
delirian 20
@18: It has, but not by much. And I'm sure Letterman and Kimmel bring in younger viewers who are more valuable to advertisers. At this point in time it is questionable whether the Tonight Show is the most profitable show on late night.
Posted by delirian on March 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM · Report this
I've never been so torn on a Stranger poll. Tie between options 3, 4, 5, and 7. I grew up watching Conan when I got to be old enough to stay up late at night (only on Fridays), so how older people feel about Carson, I feel about Conan. And I love his new show, but don't watch that regularly either; I pretty much only watch shit online.
Posted by mellythepirate on March 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM · Report this
In the future, everyone will host the "Tonight Show" for six weeks.
Posted by Pope Buck I on March 21, 2013 at 7:09 AM · Report this