Friday, March 15, 2013

Great Moments in Minority Outreach at CPAC

Posted by on Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Think Progress:

A panel at the Conservative Political Action Committee on Republican minority outreach exploded into controversy on Friday afternoon, after an audience member defended slavery as good for African-Americans. [An] audience member from North Carolina, 30-year-old Scott Terry, asked whether Republicans could endorse races remaining separate but equal. After the presenter, K. Carl Smith of Frederick Douglass Republicans, answered by referencing a letter by Frederick Douglass forgiving his former master, the audience member said “For what? For feeding him and housing him?”

...

ThinkProgress spoke with Terry, who sported a Rick Santorum sticker and attended CPAC with a friend who wore a Confederate Flag-emblazoned t-shirt, about his views after the panel. Terry maintained that white people have been “systematically disenfranchised” by federal legislation. When asked by ThinkProgress if he’d accept a society where African-Americans were permanently subservient to whites, he said “I’d be fine with that.” He also claimed that African-Americans “should be allowed to vote in Africa,” and that “all the Tea Parties” were concerned with the same racial problems that he was.

At one point, a woman challenged him on the Republican Party’s roots, to which Terry responded, “I didn’t know the legacy of the Republican Party included women correcting men in public.”

But, yeah, a commenter on Daily Kos called George W. Bush a Nazi in 2004, so... both sides do it, right?

Sometimes these things are so outrageous, you gotta wonder if he was a plant.

(the subversive kind, not the photosynthetic kind)
Posted by SorryNoTimeToLogIn on March 15, 2013 at 2:41 PM · Report this
Such racism is bracing and refreshing in this day and age. At least this motherfucking cracker isn't saying thinks like "Kenyan socialist" when he really means "nigger in the White House".

This kind of shit must give Karl Rove hives.
Posted by Westside forever on March 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM · Report this
SoapMacTavish 3
This is why I don't trust anyone who says they are conservative. Their real agenda is "white men rule, everyone else fuck off"
Posted by SoapMacTavish on March 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM · Report this
Catalina Vel-DuRay 4
Republicans are dreadful people.
Posted by Catalina Vel-DuRay http://www.danlangdon.com on March 15, 2013 at 2:49 PM · Report this
debug 5
@3 'rich white men rule'

Many of these fools think they've got more in common with the 1% than they do with the poor even though they're one paycheck away from debt themselves.
Posted by debug on March 15, 2013 at 2:50 PM · Report this
SoapMacTavish 6
@5 I hear you though it's probably "rich straight white men"
Posted by SoapMacTavish on March 15, 2013 at 2:54 PM · Report this
Fnarf 7
It's funny; the question of "what to do about the South?" has been central to US politics for a century now, as the two parties passed these retrograde states back and forth over the decades. But now, we may be in a situation where one party can finally just dump them overboard, and win anyways. I hope so. I wish we could dump them out of the country.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on March 15, 2013 at 2:54 PM · Report this
Riiiiight. The slave owner paid real money to have someone abduct the slave in Africa, transport him by boat, and present him in shackles, just so he could feed and house him.

Delusion is awesome.
Posted by vab251 on March 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM · Report this
rob! 9
Once again:

It's always fun to highlight the mind-numbingly stupid and hypocritical things some Republicans say, but the fact is that the party is running two highly effective strategies specifically designed to counteract the "urban archipelago" phenomenon that delivered the White House to Democrats in 2008 and 2012: 1) gaining control of more state legislatures in time to dominate Congressional redistricting based on the 2010 census, which means that in many states there were more (in some cases far more) Republican representatives sent to Washington even though Democrats won a majority of votes statewide (and nationally), and 2) changing the electoral-college rules from winner-take-all to proportional representation in as many states as possible before 2016.

As usual, Democrats have been too busy sleeping, ignoring down-ticket races, or patting themselves on the back to mount any apparent countervailing strategies, and in fact they're stuck with current Congressional districts until after the 2020 census.

Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on March 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM · Report this
Ophian 10
Today I had the chance to peruse a Playboy from '65. The letters to the editor in the first few pages were all in response to an interview with a KKK Grand Wizard in the previous issue.

One letter chided the editors for making an upstanding klansman look like a clown ["people too often focus on the criticisms of the Klan, not on the good work they do to preserve the white race."], the rest were various levels of disapprobation for the interviewee from giggling ["Wizard of Ooze"] to outright condemnation. There was even a John Bircher making sure that everyone knew that even they thought the Klan was vile and unamerican.

Too bad present-day Repubs like Terry make a magazine that is over a half a century old look enlightened.

[Seriously, this is a Playboy that--in its advice section--counseled a young unmarried couple to get two rooms at a hotel rather than lie on the registry. Progress!]
Posted by Ophian on March 15, 2013 at 3:01 PM · Report this
Bonefish 11
So basically everything he didn't accomplish (white skin, a dick between his legs, attraction to women, etc) should be reason for everyone else to worship him, serve him and regard him with awe.

And yet liberals are the ones with an entitlement complex. Right.
Posted by Bonefish http://5bmisc.blogspot.com/ on March 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM · Report this
That ain't the half of it...

after that the moron said:

"I wish Democraps were fuckinn' dead!..."

what a chimp.
Posted by he was last seen licking doorknobs in the head.... on March 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM · Report this
Goldy it wasn't just in 2004 it was every day he was President, we got out crazies too.
Posted by Seattle14 on March 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM · Report this
I've got about as low opinion of the Republican base as it's possible to have, and even so I wonder if this guy's real, or performance art.
Posted by Warren Terra on March 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM · Report this
#5,6 - nope, this is the Stranger, so it's "all white men". We all have "privilege", or something, apparently, and we've never been poor, never had to work hard, and anything we've ever gotten has been taken right out of the hands of saintly, hard-working minorities. Didn't you get the Stranger's guidelines for posting?

#8 - you do realize the one who abducted the slave was in all probability a fellow black African soul brother, right? Europeans didn't simply march into Africa and march out with slaves. They traded with the Africans who already owned lots of slaves. Much easier.
Posted by catsnbanjos on March 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 16
The audience cheered Terry. That says it all.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on March 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM · Report this
nicholaus 17
What's a Nubian?
Posted by nicholaus on March 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM · Report this
Ophian 18
#15 - you do realize that by the time of Frederick Douglass the trans-Atlantic slave trade was illegal. It was in fact white folk buying and selling black folk.
Posted by Ophian on March 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM · Report this
sirkowski 19
He's right about women though. Conservatives bitches need to learn their place.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on March 15, 2013 at 3:16 PM · Report this
Bonefish 20
15: And?

If Africans owning slaves justifies slavery, then the Canadians would be perfectly justified in enslaving Americans, wouldn't they?

If you think that enslaving Africans was justified, but enslaving Americans wouldn't be, please explain to me what makes your group immune to this "eye-for-an-eye" bullshit that you believe applies to Africans.

If not, then why bring it up?

My guess is you were spoiled and overmothered growing up, so you're perfectly comfortable believing that these rules you support simply shouldn't apply to you (or your group) because you're you. Most of us outgrow that style of thinking when we leave toddlerhood, but then again, most of us aren't as spoiled and coddled as conservatives tend to be.

It would also explain why you think that frowning on literal slavery is the same as "hating all white men."
Posted by Bonefish http://5bmisc.blogspot.com/ on March 15, 2013 at 3:17 PM · Report this
" #5,6 - nope, this is the Stranger, so it's 'all white men'. We all have 'privilege', or something,"

As a white guy, when I get pulled over by the cops for a minor traffic violation, I know that whether or not I get a ticket, I will not be imprisoned or killed and my car will not be searched without good reason. My non-white friends and coworkers, on the other hand, have been pulled over for violations that never happened, ordered out of their car, frisked, and had the car searched illegally. And my city's cops are currently under federal investigation for sending 60 cars chasing after a black couple that doesn't seem to have committed any sort of crime and firing 143 rounds at them.

White friends report cases of companies turning down highly qualified candidates for jobs because those candidates were black. In the place I work, an owner categorically stated that he'd never hire an Indian under any circumstances.

So yes, I'd say I have some privileges other people don't, solely because I'm white.
Posted by Thexalon on March 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM · Report this
Reverend Tap 22
@9: On the second point, several states have signed on to the National Popular Vote compact (it's currently being considered by my state legislature). It's an agreement that pledges all of a state's electoral college votes to whichever candidate wins the national popular vote, essentially nullifying the electoral college. Doesn't come into effect until enough states have ratified it to elect a president; I think they're about halfway to that now.
Posted by Reverend Tap http://www.libr8.org on March 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM · Report this
Fistique 23
I'm not totally surprised that the modern conservative party thinks slaveowners were ludicrously generous. I've seen how they vote on labor issues.
Posted by Fistique on March 15, 2013 at 3:32 PM · Report this
ForkyMcSpoon 24
#16 It seemed to me that first people gasped, then one or two people clapped and cheered.

#9 Technically the Congressional districts can be changed between censuses. It just very rarely happens.

In the most gerrymandered states, however, I would find it quite fair for the Democrats to change the districts if they get the opportunity. Ideally, they would pass a law for a non-partisan re-districting process which would apply immediately rather than waiting for the next census.
Posted by ForkyMcSpoon on March 15, 2013 at 3:32 PM · Report this
venomlash 25
@8: It's like when people insist that the Dems are racists because apparently they want to keep black people on welfare. Hello? No profit motive!
Posted by venomlash on March 15, 2013 at 3:32 PM · Report this
ScienceNerd 26
@20 I just have one bone to pick with you. Of course, it would be Americans owning Canadian slaves. The former suggestion was simply ridiculous. ;)
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on March 15, 2013 at 3:38 PM · Report this
Come on, 21st century America! Where's the YouTube video? I've seen Republicans sporting smart phones, so somebody should have something to post.

Keep proving Governor Jindal's point, conservatives..
Posted by Pablo Picasso on March 15, 2013 at 3:51 PM · Report this
Oops, there it is further down the scroll. My bad.
Posted by Pablo Picasso on March 15, 2013 at 3:58 PM · Report this
@10: Hefner (and Spectorsky, his non-fiction editor) frequently went for edgy and controversial stuff in those days. They also carried a long interview with George Lincoln Rockwell, the then-head of the American Nazi Party. The interviewer was Alex (Roots) Haley.
Posted by DonServo on March 15, 2013 at 4:01 PM · Report this
lolorhone 30
I'm sure Republicans are embarrassed by this racist, misogynist and history denying piece of shit's comments- or at least pretend to be- but remember: you get the constituency you cultivate.
Posted by lolorhone on March 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 31
6, I agree w/ your point, but the question was central during the drafting of the Constitution, so it's been around much longer than a mere 100 years.

15, I would really like to know why you feel that this is somehow important to the point. Because you sound like an apologist for slavery. I mean, if you're trying to show that there were people outside of America that were involved in slavery, that's one thing. It's an obvious fact that most educated people know. We're discussing America; not Portugal or Africa or Venice or any of that.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on March 15, 2013 at 4:04 PM · Report this
@ 26 - No, I think Bonefish was right on the money. In order for Americans to own Canadians, they would have to go to Canada to collect them. And Canadians, like Russians, could pull back further north and just wait until their weather and their wildlife took care of the unfortunate Americans. If the wolverines and the polar bears don't get you, the moose will! xD
Posted by MiscKitty on March 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM · Report this
blip 33
@15, How unfortunate for you that you just read a post about a person at a major political conference talking about the perks of slavery and you still feel bitter and personally affronted by the discussion because ...something something privilege. One of the most debilitating side-effects of unchecked privilege is that you think everything is always about YOU. Must be a hell of a burden to carry.
Posted by blip on March 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM · Report this
Max Solomon 34
@10: 2013 - 1965 = 48, not >50.

Posted by Max Solomon on March 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM · Report this
@32 Alaska

Seriously, if we start from there most everything just keeps getting nicer as we drag those maple-lipped Canucks down to our plantations in the lower 48.
Posted by Somehow this seemed funny when I started writing it on March 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM · Report this
I also thought this had to be a theatrical stunt. I mean, defending slavery? Really?? Were you raised in a cave in the wilderness by neo-Nazis?

Well... I should know better. I did a quick Google search for him by simply using his name and state and, I'm sad to report, the man is very, very real. Here's the link for his recommended reading list, posted in 2011 in some website called Faith and Heritage, complete with mini-blurbs for each book. (He includes Lord of the Rings!) The website editor adds five more to the list.

Get ready to trip. Basically, other than his constant hammering of his version of Christianity, the guy stepped out of a time machine from the Third Reich. Antisemitism? Defense of the Confederacy? An urging to "give up our love of Democracy"? (I kid you not.) It's all there.

There's even a Ron Paul book! I knew it!

Posted by floater on March 15, 2013 at 4:56 PM · Report this
sirkowski 37
@36 Educate yourself, sheeple! Educate yourself by not finishing high school and watching a lot of Youtube conspiracy videos.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on March 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM · Report this
mkyorai 38
@36 Thanks... I guess. What a lovely trip into the depths of true squirrel-shit zaniness that was. He mentions a "tedious military career" in his bio. I would imagine that discovering that the military has a policy of treating your fellow soldiers as equals, regardless of race, probably made it tedious indeed for him. One suspects he spent a fair bit of time reading (barely) all those big, important sounding books and praying while the rest of his unit was out having fun.
Posted by mkyorai on March 15, 2013 at 5:34 PM · Report this
SoapMacTavish 39
I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the shit some people believe but I'm gobsmacked that some white men really believe they are not the most privileged animal on the planet. I'm going to go drink a lot now and pretend I didn't read 15's comment.

Oh and 11 wins, best comment I've read in while. I may have to plagiarize that the next time I'm faced with a whiny white male complaining about how oppressed he is!
Posted by SoapMacTavish on March 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM · Report this
As troubled as I am by conservatives equating 19th century slavery with 21st century employment, I am more troubled by their equating 21st century employment with 19th century slavery.
Posted by Charlie Mas on March 15, 2013 at 6:24 PM · Report this
ScienceNerd 41
@32, I stand corrected! A moose once bit my sister...
Posted by ScienceNerd http://stanichium.tumblr.com/ on March 15, 2013 at 7:14 PM · Report this
Times like this, I wonder why we didn't let the South secede.
Posted by ThetaSigma on March 15, 2013 at 7:30 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 43
After " “For what? For feeding him and housing him?” Several people in the audience cheered and applauded Terry’s outburst."
It gets even better-

"After the exchange, Terry muttered under his breath, “why can’t we just have segregation?” noting the Constitution’s protections for freedom of association."
Posted by undead ayn rand on March 15, 2013 at 8:12 PM · Report this
Posted by undead ayn rand on March 15, 2013 at 8:15 PM · Report this
Frank Blethen's vodka distiller 45
@36

Just clicked on the guy's site. Got a chuckle at a message at the bottom of the page saying my browser is not supported and I should upgrade to IE9. I'm using IE10.
Posted by Frank Blethen's vodka distiller on March 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM · Report this
Reverend Tap 46
@15: If that's what you think "privilege" means, I'm sorry, someone did a terrible job of explaining it to you.

You can have privilege and still be poor. Privilege doesn't in any way guarantee success. It just means that the thousand little daily setbacks and inconveniences (and occasional big problems) faced by people of color, women, queers, etc, don't hit you. Racial privilege means you aren't on the receiving end of daily, lifelong racism. Gender privilege means you aren't on the receiving end of daily, lifelong sexism. I don't know if there's an accepted term for privilege based on sexual orientation, but it means you aren't on the receiving end of daily, lifelong heterosexism.

"Privilege" isn't necessarily the word I would have chosen, because it carries a connotation of being actively helped along or pushed forward, which isn't what the term really means in this context. It just means you aren't being actively and continuously held back by society at large.
Posted by Reverend Tap http://www.libr8.org on March 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM · Report this
Hawke 47
@46 Heterosexism is the term you may be looking for.
Posted by Hawke http://facebook.com/thehawke on March 16, 2013 at 12:42 AM · Report this
Fnarf and ThetaSigma: Please be aware that Southern secession would have left enslaved people to the tender mercies of their owners for the forseeable future. And today, it would still kick a lot of great people out of our country. This asshole doesn't represent "the South" and he never really has.
Posted by planned barrenhood on March 16, 2013 at 1:30 AM · Report this
Reverend Tap 49
@47: I mean a term for the privilege of not having to deal with heterosexism. "[WORD] privelege," like "racial privilege" or "gender privilege."
Posted by Reverend Tap http://www.libr8.org on March 16, 2013 at 2:40 AM · Report this

here is your profit motive, Junior;

Democraps like Obama (who have never held a real job in their lives) get elected promising government goodies to the underclass. they finance those goodies by taxing the productive class, to which neither they nor their supporters belong,m and by stealing from their children and grandchildren.

Ans in turn the underclass keeps electing them, no matter how bad they have fucked up the economy.

See? That's how the Qunited States of Gommorica works.
Posted by the Late Great US of A on March 16, 2013 at 5:22 AM · Report this
venomlash 51
@50: Nah, any politician worth his wealthy anonymous donors knows that you can get followers with empty promises just as easily as with money. Just look at what the GOP has done with its futile efforts to ban gays, overturn Obamacare, and end all government regulation of industry!
And Obama has held more real jobs than the two of us put together, I'd wager. I figure you don't count nonprofit work or civil service as a "real job", the imbecile that you are, but Obama was a lawyer for ELEVEN YEARS. That takes skill.
Posted by venomlash on March 16, 2013 at 6:29 AM · Report this
AFinch 52
@6 - As a full-bore progressive and a southerner who's roots go back 150 years before the revolution, I can tell you: these are the
"Death Throes of Dead-Enders" - that's why the screetching is so bad. Virginia, NC, GA and soon TX will be turning blue. No need to dump the south - the reason that both parties can afford to stop kow-towing to the reactionary retrogrades is that they're losing their power, even in the south.
Posted by AFinch on March 16, 2013 at 7:32 AM · Report this
AFinch 53
@38 - the problem is the volunteer military has nearly been captured by these nutjobs - ever heard of Boykin? It's yet another reason to bring back the draft.
Posted by AFinch on March 16, 2013 at 7:40 AM · Report this
Ophian 54
@34, noted.
Posted by Ophian on March 16, 2013 at 9:35 AM · Report this
@48: fair point, and I'm sorry I maligned the South -- but the sane people should be a hell of a lot louder! I live in the Northeast, and the Southerners I tend to hear about are... just fucking NUTS.
Posted by ThetaSigma on March 16, 2013 at 3:33 PM · Report this
this is despicable. at least there's hope that the libertarian wing (non-racist/non-sexist/anti-war/pro-drugs/pro-gay marriage) of the republican party will take over since they were stomped in the 2012 election and shift the debate to a more reasonable arena
Posted by FeedMeSkittles on March 17, 2013 at 8:33 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 57
@56: "at least there's hope that the libertarian wing (non-racist/non-sexist/anti-war/pro-drugs/pro-gay marriage) of the republican party will take over since they were stomped in the 2012 election and shift the debate to a more reasonable arena"

Sorry, there is zero chance of this. The Southern Strategy still continues to work too successfully in the Tea Party.
Posted by undead ayn rand on March 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM · Report this
@13 The difference is that the crazies on the left are not applauded and pandered to by Democratic elected officials. Many if not most Republican Members of Congress refuse to call out the extremism in their party for fear of losing a primary. And some such as Michelle Bachmann and Steve King even endorse lunatic Birther conspiracies.

Instead of inaccurate "both sides do it" analysis, responsible Americans need to continue calling on Republican leaders to speak out against the insanity in their ranks. And they should be pilloried every time they dodge the question with non-comments like "I don't know where the President was born" or "The President says he's a Christian."
Posted by ML77 on March 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM · Report this
sirkowski 59
@44 This sadly doesn't look like satire.
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on March 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM · Report this
But y'all know that Rightwing websites are claiming that Terry is a liberal plant to make Repubs look bad. Like anyone has to do that.
Posted by Patricia Kayden on March 18, 2013 at 5:05 AM · Report this