and Drunks

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

We Have a New Pope!

Posted by on Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Thankfully, the cardinals waited until after Slog silence. But we still don't know who it is yet:

With a puff of white smoke from the chimney of the Sistine Chapel and to the cheers of thousands of rain-soaked faithful, a gathering of Catholic cardinals picked a new pope from among their midst on Wednesday. The name of the new pope, the 266th pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church, was not immediately promulgated.

Stay tuned for pope-y updates and pontifications.

Purocuyu 1
The best thing Italy could do for the world is to brick up the Vatican
Think of all the child rape that wouldnt happen
Posted by Purocuyu http://littlevictorygarden.tumblr.com on March 13, 2013 at 11:26 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 2
What is Latin for "We have a new pedophile!"
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on March 13, 2013 at 11:31 AM · Report this
Max Solomon 3
cue the pithy sniping
Posted by Max Solomon on March 13, 2013 at 11:33 AM · Report this
Pope Carrot Top I?

Did not see that coming.
Posted by rainbird on March 13, 2013 at 11:41 AM · Report this
Gern Blanston 5
I'm hoping for a more modern name. Something like Pope Breezy D.
Posted by Gern Blanston on March 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM · Report this
raindrop 6
This is more exciting than waiting for Best Picture at the Oscars!
Posted by raindrop on March 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM · Report this
rob! 7
@2: Habemus uranus.
Posted by rob! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZBdUceCL5U on March 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 8
I always wondered how to spell "pope-y". Thanks!
Posted by Pope Peabrain on March 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM · Report this
Timmytee 9
. . . and the born-again Protestants proclaim him the Anti-Christ in 3 . . .2 . . .1 . . .
Posted by Timmytee on March 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM · Report this
Last of the Time Lords 10
I'm really hoping it'll be an old man!! I mean that would be SOOOO TOTALLY OUT OF THE ORDINARY!!!!!!
Posted by Last of the Time Lords on March 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM · Report this
Wonder why it's taking so long to announce him.

I'm hoping it involves wacky hijinks.
Posted by rainbird on March 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM · Report this
mikethehammer 12
I wonder why @11's number thing doesn't show in the upper right hand corner of his post.
Posted by mikethehammer on March 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM · Report this
After two named John-Paul, I'm hoping for a George-Ringo
Posted by SuperSteve on March 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM · Report this
Posted by Apocynum on March 13, 2013 at 12:04 PM · Report this
mikethehammer 15
Oh shit -- now it's there. I feel so stupid.

I was listening to 'Talk of the Nation' when they interrupted with this dumb news. Ken Rudin had said he heard a rumor that if it was orange smoke that bellowed up Carrot Top would be the appointee. Hahaha.
Posted by mikethehammer on March 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM · Report this
It's Ru Paul!
Posted by midwaypete on March 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM · Report this
Dr_Awesome 17
My co-worker just observed that the Cardinals need a better offense, not a new Pope.
Posted by Dr_Awesome on March 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM · Report this
@2
"Habemus Papem"

The pedophilia is assumed.
Posted by Lymis on March 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM · Report this
@1
If you believe the prophecy of St. Malachy, this will be the last pope. They can brick it up after.
Posted by Lymis on March 13, 2013 at 12:08 PM · Report this
aureolaborealis 20
@18: you beat me to it.
Posted by aureolaborealis on March 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM · Report this
Can't remember where I saw this, maybe here:

> "How's that pope-y change-y thing workin' out for ya?"
Posted by rainbird on March 13, 2013 at 12:11 PM · Report this
heywhatsit!? 22
He's only 76! I guess he carried the youth vote.
Posted by heywhatsit!? on March 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM · Report this
Lighten up, Pope Francis.
Posted by rainbird on March 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM · Report this
@13 for the win.
Posted by Kansas boy on March 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM · Report this
Who is this "we?" I don't need a pope and I don't want a pope.
Posted by tkc on March 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM · Report this
treacle 26
Yeah, I'm with tkc @25... who is this "we" you're talking about?
Ain't my pope. My pope's name is Pope Phabulous.
Posted by treacle on March 13, 2013 at 1:03 PM · Report this
@25: I third that, and am proudly non-Catholic!!
Posted by auntie grizelda on March 14, 2013 at 1:08 AM · Report this
@25
Well, it's a bit late now. If you didn't want one, you should have said so before they went to all this trouble.

Kids today. Always ungrateful. Next you'll be saying you don't want an archbishop.
Posted by Lymis on March 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM · Report this