Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Father of the Year Puts Plumber in Peril

Posted by on Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 6:41 AM

In case you missed this story over the weekend like I did, here's your morning dose of awesome parenting:

When Mike Mika saw the disappointment on his daughter's face when she realized Pauline wasn't a playable character in Donkey Kong, he felt a call to action. Thankfully Mika happens to be a competent developer, and after a few late-night hours spent hacking the NES version of Nintendo's classic, he accomplished the role reversal his daughter had wished for. Mario was now under Donkey Kong's control, and Pauline was tasked with rescuing the plumber in distress.

(WARNING: As is usually the case, if you want to continue feeling good about humanity, you shouldn't read the comments on The Verge post, as it has been hijacked by dipshit "men's rights" morons making dumbass false equivalency comments about replacing Lara Croft with Larry Croft for the sake of fairness and so on.)

Thing is, the men's rights people who have latched onto this are largely assholes.

But the far left people who really like it are largely assholes too.

Posted by ryanmm on March 12, 2013 at 7:22 AM · Report this
Former Lurker 2
And why are Mario and Pauline white?
Posted by Former Lurker on March 12, 2013 at 7:31 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 3
But what if I want the BurgerTime chef switched to a woman so I can watch her make me sandwiches all day?
Posted by Theodore Gorath on March 12, 2013 at 7:37 AM · Report this
Pauline had to win a medal in Hero's Duty first.
Posted by David from Chicago on March 12, 2013 at 7:39 AM · Report this
@1 The phrase "false equivalency" is more usually used to point out fallacious logic, like yours.

Totalitarians usually have more basic phrases and stirring rallying cries, like "motherland/fatherland," "glory of our people," "honor our flag/founders/revolution," and "praise be to God."
Posted by Brooklyn Reader on March 12, 2013 at 7:40 AM · Report this
Pope Peabrain 6
I miss my Nintendo. And the father is sweet to do this for his daughter. It's little things our kids remember.
Posted by Pope Peabrain on March 12, 2013 at 7:57 AM · Report this
@1 - Mika's daughter is a far-left asshole?
Posted by anon1256 on March 12, 2013 at 8:09 AM · Report this
bgk 8
so a Dad spent a not-insignificant amount of time hacking something fun for his daughter. Why do people dislike that? Its a treat for his daughter.
Posted by bgk on March 12, 2013 at 8:12 AM · Report this
And this has to become a gender debate instead of what it should be. Acknowledging the efforts of a father to make his daughter happy. But feel free to go on making sure you correct the internet.
Posted by jma3974 on March 12, 2013 at 8:13 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 10
@1: "But the far left people who really like it are largely assholes too.

And when I see the phrase "false equivalency" it's usually used by a communist or fascist who's been exposed as a totalitarian."

I appreciate how you've brought up your failure in the same post so nobody else needs to bother telling you how your MRA supremacism comes off.
Posted by undead ayn rand on March 12, 2013 at 8:25 AM · Report this
@1: You only wrote that because you're an idiot.
Posted by mubhappy on March 12, 2013 at 8:26 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 12
Anyone who tells their daughter they can be anything they want to be is a far-left asshole, see...
Posted by undead ayn rand on March 12, 2013 at 8:26 AM · Report this
anyone else notice the 2010 date on the video
Posted by velour on March 12, 2013 at 9:01 AM · Report this
I wish we could load all men's rights dipshits on a rocket and shoot it into the sun.
Posted by treehugger on March 12, 2013 at 9:03 AM · Report this
Fistique 15
My dad hacked The Hobbit for me (at my request) by swapping half of the dwarves' genders when he read it to me at bedtime. Today I am a highly successful dwarf.
Posted by Fistique on March 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM · Report this
evilvolus 16
I believe that Larry Croft's name is Nathan Drake...
Posted by evilvolus on March 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 17
I want to play as the ape.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on March 12, 2013 at 10:05 AM · Report this
wingedkat 18
I always wanted to play as the little girl too. Or the ape.

I don't see why this has become some sort of gender debate. It is pretty natural for girls to want to play girl characters, an if more games included the option they'd probably sell more games to girls.

As a child, I would often mentally switch the gender of my characters. it would help me identify with them better. I also tended to prefer games where I could play a woman, even if I didn't always choose to do so.
Posted by wingedkat on March 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM · Report this
undead ayn rand 19
@18: "I don't see why this has become some sort of gender debate. It is pretty natural for girls to want to play girl characters"

She wants to "save the prince". This runs contrary to most cliche'd storylines, so the dad did something to delight his daughter. Why are you confused? You answered your own question.
Posted by undead ayn rand on March 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 20
@17, 18:

You could have been playing as the ape this whole time guys!

I always play as a female character when I play games like Skyrim, Fallout, Mass Effect, etc. Not sure why really. I guess I just find it more interesting (even though it really changes nothing) since 99% of video game heros are dudes, and I have to play a guy all the time in real life.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on March 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 21
@20,
But I wanted to be BIG ape. The first thing I'd do is eat the princess (or eat the plumber if it was this gender switched version).

I also often played the female characters of games when given the option. I also played dungeons and dragons when I was a kid and almost always played female characters.

Just seemed more challenging (since I would have to role-play my opposite gender) and interesting.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on March 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM · Report this
Isn't Indiana Jones already the male version of Laura Croft?
Posted by Clayton on March 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM · Report this
Theodore Gorath 23
@21: I tried to play a female in D&D once when I was in high school, but my group (all dudes) clearly was not prepared for it, maturity wise. Strangely homoerotic in their desire to "do things" with my character on graph paper.

But then again, they were more the hardcore nerds who never got to touch women, while I was also on the football team and going to parties, so there is that. Keep in mind this was waaaay before being a "nerd" was cool and hip.
Posted by Theodore Gorath on March 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM · Report this
@20 I always enjoyed Donkey Kong jr., and looking back, it was rather subversive for it's time- it turned the hero/villain dynamic on it's head and portrayed Mario as an evil zoo keeper who imprisoned Donkey Kong (and ultimately dies when DK Jr drops Donkey Kong's cage and Mario falls to his death)... so ultimately both characters were neither totally good or totally evil. An interesting idea for an NES game.
Posted by UNPAID COMMENTER on March 12, 2013 at 12:08 PM · Report this
ScrawnyKayaker 25
@23 I'm skeptical that being a nerd is really now all that cool and hip in high school. This seems like an entertainment media trope among those of us one or more decades removed. Pics of cheerleaders going down on skinny, clumsy guys, or it didn't happen.
Posted by ScrawnyKayaker on March 12, 2013 at 12:16 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 26
Yeah, why is this a big deal? It seems like anyone who's bothered by this has a huge chip on their shoulder. Outrage is this twisted fad in America & it's quite boring.

23, I remember those days. We called Tolkein books "Girl Repellant."
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on March 12, 2013 at 12:31 PM · Report this
Dougsf 27
This is awesome. Why does anyone in their right mind allow for comments on their YouTube videos?
Posted by Dougsf on March 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM · Report this
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn 28
It's cute and all but he should spend what time he has reading to his kid instead of hacking ROMs.
Posted by Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn http://youtu.be/zu-akdyxpUc on March 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM · Report this
Sandiai 29
I know the video game makers don't care about one 40-something woman, but I won't buy a game that doesn't provide a female character option. It's stupid I know, but there are so many good games with that option (Skyrim, Mass Effect, Fable), that I don't really need to play games like Halo, et al. Even in this old boxing game I used to play at nerd parties (Sega, or old xbox? IDR), there was a female character that I used a lot, and she was awesome.
Posted by Sandiai on March 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM · Report this
Sandiai 30
I forgot to mention: Fable also lets you gay-marry and set up house with your same-sex spouse.
Posted by Sandiai on March 12, 2013 at 1:59 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 31
@29,

I tend to lose interest quickly in games that don't have a female character option. Even first person shooters where you never see the character, I lose interest at some point. I still haven't finished Bioshock.
Posted by keshmeshi on March 12, 2013 at 2:10 PM · Report this
Urgutha Forka 32
@29,
Yeah, you kinda summed it all up in your first sentence though.

Unfortunately, the audience video game makers DO tend to focus on are somewhat anti-woman and immature. Which is likely part of the reason for a lack of female characters.
Posted by Urgutha Forka on March 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM · Report this
Sandiai 33
@32, Exactly right.
Posted by Sandiai on March 12, 2013 at 3:02 PM · Report this
More, I Say! 34
@18 as a little girl, I had a handful of GI Joe action figures that I'd designated as female. Always the ones with full-face covering helmets.
Posted by More, I Say! on March 12, 2013 at 3:42 PM · Report this